• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Annual suicide training

FinkUFreaky

pilot
Just a thought, figured it was worth posting. Throughout my time in the Navy, I got sick of the annual requirement and having to sit through it, including making jokes like “this training makes me want to commit suicide”.

Fast-forward 15 years. Close family friend gives me something of some value, we had been helping them out for about a month but no way can they afford to give me that (relative to what they have; based on their personal situation, they should pawn it or sell it online). Alarm bells went off, along with other things we’d already seen (reclusivity, alcoholism, change in behavior, etc; expected depression for sure, wasn’t thinking suicide until that moment). Had the hard talk asking him about it 15 minutes later after gathering myself, and sure enough suicidal, been contemplating it for a few days. Man is 7 years older than me, I’m not babysitting him or considering Baker acting him (based on the conversation, he wasn’t planning on immediately carrying it out), but had a deep conversation, letting him know we cared etc, and would be happy to help more, etc, and hopefully it helps.

In other words, as stupid as the training may seem when you young ensigns are going through it, you never know when it might help you counsel a younger enlisted person in your shop (who maybe knows about someone else who is suicidal and maybe comes to you), or someone in your personal life. I’d happily trade all that time for the relentless training now that it lit the master warning in my brain, even if it shoulda been lit earlier.

FinkUFreaky

pilot
4.0 in SA. God bless you.
I’m not even certain I’ve made the right decision yet (when it comes to staying with and forcing a phone call etc); time will tell. He said he’s called the hotline before and didn't help. I felt good about the situation, based on my read.

But it definitely was not the wrong decision to talk to him about it. That’s the most important part I wanted to put out. He teared up, and it was clear that it mattered that I asked. Don’t want accolades, this is for anyone uncomfortable about asking the question. It was uncomfortable for me; it was more than worth it.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Absolutely good start to tackling a difficult thing…

Hotline… can be a good resource, however one on one visits with physicians can be more beneficial. Obviously psychiatrist are best equipped but a non-psychiatrist primary care provider can write prescriptions to help tackle depression etc. They encounter it almost weekly (daily at many places), and are likely able to gauge the overall mental state more effectively than a layman and point him in the direction of appropriate resources.

If your friend hasn’t had a positive experience with hotlines, it may be worth encouraging him to visit a PCM, or even offer go with him if he initially balks at the suggestion.

Last edited:

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Good news, and keep him close even if it is over the phone. I’ve lost three close friends from my time in Iraq and Afghanistan to suicide and I feel miserable that I was so clueless to their situation.

taxi1

pilot
We have a bunch of new high rise apartments in our college town, built for students over the last decade. They unfortunately get used 2-3 times per year by students to end their life. Heart breaking as a parent.

BZ, @FinkUFreaky

As an aside, as a reservist we used to have all of that monthly training on alcohol abuse, suicide prevention, sexual harassment, human trafficking, financial stuff, etc., etc. When I mobilized and deployed, I used all of it. you name it, we had a case or three of it. I would actually go back and review the training before sitting down with Airman Soandso for our discussions.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Most of the topics we have collectively for GMT aren’t bad and actually needed. Much as we like to disparage them, it’s more that we collectively suck at delivering said training or we fail to update the material rather than having to repeat and reinforce the material. I’m looking at you ATFP level 1!

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Most of the topics we have collectively for GMT aren’t bad and actually needed. Much as we like to disparage them, it’s more that we collectively suck at delivering said training or we fail to update the material rather than having to repeat and reinforce the material. I’m looking at you ATFP level 1!
Applicability is sometimes an issue too. I once spent 8 hours in online training hell going through SERE something-or-other so I could go TAD to… Australia.

Not once did the USN deem it relevant to tell me anything about the actual country I was going to visit, such as how they drive on the left. Nope, I was trusted to find out the actual important facts on my own. But if I’d been kidnapped by terrorists while delivering a briefing on a RAAF military base, the Navy had me covered.

;)

Rockriver

pilot
I once had a co-worker describe suicide as a permanent fix for a temporary problem. Outside of a terminal disease, I feel that description is accurate.

As males, most of us don’t chat it up with our peers about our mental state. We had one instance in our office where a particularly private guy lost his wife. A few weeks later he had a meeting with his supervisor, and after denying that he had any issues or needed any help, was encouraged to at least contact the Employee Assistance Program. He did, and later stated that he - and his kids - benefitted greatly from that gentle shove.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Applicability is sometimes an issue too. I once spent 8 hours in online training hell going through SERE something-or-other so I could go TAD to… Australia.

Not once did the USN deem it relevant to tell me anything about the actual country I was going to visit, such as how they drive on the left. Nope, I was trusted to find out the actual important facts on my own. But if I’d been kidnapped by terrorists while delivering a briefing on a RAAF military base, the Navy had me covered.

;)
Ye gads, you're giving me Talisman Sabre flashbacks. Things I learned:
  • Backwards roundabouts and metric highway distances are weird, but not that bad once you get used to them.
  • It'll take you about 2/3rds of a three-week AT to stop mixing up the windshield wipers and the turn signal, and an equal amount of time after getting home to stop fucking up the same thing in your own car now that you've gone and converted your muscle memory.
  • The Aussie Army will bring a damn full-up Starbucks-equivalent coffee setup into the field with them, which makes Shoalwater Bay suck marginally less.
  • When the State of Origin rugby series is on, the exercise comes to a grinding halt. Everyone starts grilling burgers and setting a projector up to watch the game on a bedsheet hung on the side of the mess tent.
  • Rugby League is surprisingly easy to follow if you know American football. I guess it's the sports equivalent of Spaniards and Italians being able to understand each other.
  • Canberra is a damn cool little town, and Talisman Sabre in Bungendore living in a hotel >> Talisman Sabre in Shoalwater Bay living in a damn tent.