• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

'angels'

Status
Not open for further replies.

jg5343

FLY NAVY...Divers need the work
pilot
I have heard this term used in several movies (I know) as well as in documentaries on fighter pilots so what does it mean? i.e. 'angles 11' etc

jg5343

FLY NAVY...Divers need the work
pilot
so either way, angels refers to altitude? 11k makes more since for angels 11, but what do I know.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
It's your altitude, 11k. If you were at 6,000 feet, you called angles 6.

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
Angels = thousands
Cherubs = hundreds

i.e. Helo at "Cherubs five" is at 500 feet.

Jets use angels so 11,500 is angels 11.5 .

Dunedan

Picture Clean!
None
Then, of course, you can add Flight Levels into the mix. My favorite is asking for something like "Flight Level 2000"...

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
"Angels" and "Cherubs" are for tactical use...
totally seperate from "Flight Level" terminology

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
yeah, call for "Flight Level" on anything below 18K, or check in with control using "angels ---" and standby to be put on the controller's as$clown list. especially overseas.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
zab1001 said:
yeah, call for "Flight Level" on anything below 18K, or check in with control using "angels ---" and standby to be put on the controller's as$clown list. especially overseas.

What do our contestants win?! That's right folks, penalty holding!!

R

RickyDT34

Michael W said:
I always like the one about the SR-71(filed as a KC-135) asking for FL610, and the controller saying, "that thing won't climb that high, will it?" And the Nav responds, "actually, we were wanting a descent."

I didn't think you needed clearance for anything above 60,000 feet. That is the ceiling of the class A. I think I remember reading something like that in Sled Drivers though.

Attachments

• F0302001.gif
    F0302001.gif
    65.7 KB · Views: 67
R

RickyDT34

Patmack18 said:
Most centers control up there.. above 60K' is class E... best one I've read is someone calling for FL600... center says "do you really think you can get that high?" respons... "no we'd like to decend to FL600." (U2 over Central CA)

Michael W said:
I always like the one about the SR-71(filed as a KC-135) asking for FL610, and the controller saying, "that thing won't climb that high, will it?" And the Nav responds, "actually, we were wanting a descent."

RickyDT34 said:
I think I remember reading something like that in Sled Drivers though.

Hmmm... I heard it was Cherokee 140(turbo).

Status
Not open for further replies.