• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ANG downsides

Status
Not open for further replies.

Want2flyNow

I said over-easy!!!!!!
Havent been around here in a long time. Anyways, I met with a c-5 pilot. He gave me lots of info on the service, gave me a tour, some sim time (cool guy). He is in the ANG and flys part time airlines part time military. Now at first I started to lean this way, because I would like to fly both commercial and military fixed wing, and if lucky get a fighter in the ANG. However a week ago I met with a triple 7 pilot. He said he had buddies in an f-16 squad who were transferred to a predator squad. Now I'm all for serving the country, but UAVS are not how I want to do it. If I want to fly an r/c plane ill go buy one for 100 bucks strap a mini camera to it and spie on my neighbor while he mows his lawn and if he crosses into mine drop a water balloon on him, and ill still be able to get up at w.e time and make my bed however I want to. The triple 7 pilot recomened active service. Would I be less likely to get UAV in active duty? I dont know if any of this is correct, but looking for some direction. Thanks:confused:

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
UAVs are mostly Air Force at this time. This is a USN/USMC/USCG type message board, and most are not affiliated with the ANG. I think you're on the wrong board.

However, even if you are on the correct board, it's probably the same. You may get the privilege to fly if you make it through the rigors of flight school and the FRS. You may not select what you "want." The services don't care about your personal wishes. You are hired to do a job. If that job doesn't meet your personal criterion, you're SOL.

HackerF15E

Retired Strike Pig Driver
None
Try posting this over at Baseops.net, airforceots.com, or jetcareers.com -- you will get a better answer there.

HackerF15E

Retired Strike Pig Driver
None
Now I'm all for serving the country, but UAVS are not how I want to do it. If I want to fly an r/c plane ill go buy one for 100 bucks strap a mini camera to it and spie on my neighbor while he mows his lawn and if he crosses into mine drop a water balloon on him, and ill still be able to get up at w.e time and make my bed however I want to. The triple 7 pilot recomened active service. Would I be less likely to get UAV in active duty? I dont know if any of this is correct, but looking for some direction. Thanks:confused:

First off, dude, the US military is not Burger King -- you can't "have it your way".

You serve at the pleasure of the CINC and Congress, and your profession duty station is according to the needs of the military.

If you're not fully prepared to be a UAV operator -- or even an officer who has absolutely nothing to do with flying -- then I suggest you try your luck somewhere other than the US military.

They don't call it "the service" for nothing.

So, all that being said, there is no way to side-step the possibility that you might be assigned to fly a UAV by going to the ANG or the Reserves vs active duty. You take your risks just like everyone else serving has. You're right -- there are a bunch of ANG pilots who thought they had it made in the shade with their Guard F-15/F-16/A-10 job, and suddenly found themselves no longer in a "Fighter" Wing, but in a "Reconnaissance" Wing.

So, if you want to fly for the military, get up for it. That's the chance you take if you get selected for training, and then successfully make it through training. Other jobs await you if you don't make the grade in either of those endeavors.

loadtoad

pilot
Contributor
If you want to go in the Guard/Reserves be prepared for a long road. It's more of a rushing process with them rather than just filling out an application. You can spend thousands of dollars on plane tickets/hotels going to interviews and never be picked up. Once you are picked up you might not leave for flight school for another year or two depending on the unit. Enlisted guys who are in the unit generally get preferential treatment as most units like to hire from within first, then off the street. I know several people who have wasted a lot of time and effort to never get picked up and other guys who are in line to go to AF flight school. Remember though, they are not just looking at your qualifications but also if they like you and what kind of guy you are. Oh, politics also can go into the equation...

There are Guard units that have gone from vipers to UAV's but not many of them. These major changes happened mostly during the 2005 BRAC so not many units are currently in line to change because the AF/ANG/Reserves is sinking a lot of money into those programs. If you want to avoid UAV's your best chance is to get into a AMC unit that has C-17's or C-130J's because they are not looking for a new mission anytime soon.

As for the Airlines: If you think you are going to go to AF flight school then go into the airlines you're on crack. With that industry right now you might want to go active duty for 8-10 years to have a solid paycheck and more to bring to the table for the big boy airlines. Some of the Airline guys might throw in their two cents if they see this thread/post.

As was said before baseops.net or wantscheck.com are the forums you should check out.

Dirty

Registered abUser
pilot
None
Contributor
Don't discount UAV's (I don't fly them) buuuuuut, if mission satisfaction (wasting bad guys) and lifestyle (Vegas) are important to you, you'd currently be hard pressed to find another place that meets that criteria (in the Air Force that is)...

Want2flyNow

I said over-easy!!!!!!
Don't discount UAV's (I don't fly them) buuuuuut, if mission satisfaction (wasting bad guys) and lifestyle (Vegas) are important to you, you'd currently be hard pressed to find another place that meets that criteria (in the Air Force that is)...

Laugh my A** off. Haha get up play a steroid, government funded version of X-box for 10 hours in some country 2,000 miles away with an r/c plane giving it to the bad guys where they deserve it. Collect my pay check and blow it on roulette and bear?

As appealing as it sounds compared to a desk job, its just not the sensation I'm after.

P.S- Gives a whole new meaning to X-box "LIVE"

Crowbar

None
Haha get up play a steroid, government funded version of X-box for 10 hours in some country 2,000 miles away with an r/c plane giving it to the bad guys where they deserve it. Collect my pay check and blow it on roulette and bear?

Whether you think it's cool or not, UAV operators are making a contribution to the war effort in two theaters. According to your profile, you are in high school.

Until you've done something with your life, feel free to stop mocking the service members who do jobs that you think are beneath you.

Picaroon

Helos
pilot
Whether you think it's cool or not, UAV operators are making a contribution to the war effort in two theaters. According to your profile, you are in high school.

Until you've done something with your life, feel free to stop mocking the service members who do jobs that you think are beneath you.
Show some respect sir, he read every page of the Encyclopedia of Military Aircraft when he was 5.

Tell you what, if they can take my 10-hour-a-day Xbox habit and use it to blow up Islamofascists, sign me up.

Dirty

Registered abUser
pilot
None
Contributor
There's an old guy 'round here weeping..., luckily it's Air Force aviation so safe to say he isn't crying.

Want2flyNow

I said over-easy!!!!!!

Whoah. No one mocking their contribution to our country. Any one serving. from the people who cook to the people who clean toilets, have undoubtedly made a contribution to our country, and I respect that. Its just not my cup of tea.

However, you have obviously misunderstood. You have NOO right to assume my thoughts of anyone. You don't even know me. You don't even know what I have done with my life. I don't care if you have wings or not, are the top pilot and are living in my dream spot, I respect you, but so far I have not received the same from you. Its probably my age. You probably are old enough to be my father, so therefore I wouldn't expect your personality to mesh with the one of a teenager. I still have a lot to learn in life. You have scolded for not respecting, however, you don't even respect yourself? Apparently you have some to learn too. I'm not looking to start a fight but if you have a problem feel free to respond. I'm interested in how you came to those conclusions. I work problems out, so please, humor me.

Want2flyNow

I said over-easy!!!!!!
Show some respect sir, he read every page of the Encyclopedia of Military Aircraft when he was 5.

Tell you what, if they can take my 10-hour-a-day Xbox habit and use it to blow up Islamofascists, sign me up.

Book is actually in a sad state. The binding has ripped. Actually great book. Only one I have ever voluntarily read. I bet half the questions on planes you guys ask the aviators about is in there. And no I ask for respect as a person not because I read a book when I was 5. Hell, maybe that does deserve some respect. It's a long ass book.

Dirty

Registered abUser
pilot
None
Contributor
Hey Want2Flywhatyourservicetellsyou, You need to throttle back a bit laddie. He's just saying that the majority on this board have been to the sandbox, more than once, and understand the importance of UAV's (You will NOT find a team going in on a mission without one). That is a valid point. You are naive about the cruelty of humanity, and the extension of forceful diplomacy that has been administered by people on this board either directly or indirectly throughout their service. In this life, the military life, you dont know shit. So if someone is harsh, they are correcting you properly, with no admission to your 'feelings' or whether you made the honor roll. If you want to be part of this fraternity, whether Air Force or whatever else gives you the sensation your looking for, you better be adept to using tact, shutting your mouth, and knowing when to differentiate between the two. Good luck..

Want2flyNow

I said over-easy!!!!!!
Pill_Hacker said:
This..........will not end well for you.

Bleh so be it. Despite his status as a pilot, I still feel his wrong. hes NAvy he should be able to take down a dumby 16 year old right wing in a post or two.:tongue2_1

Status
Not open for further replies.