• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Anchors Aweigh

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Ummm ...

End of first verse

Sail on to Victory
and sink their bones to Davey Jones, Hooray!

At least that's the way I sing it.

That's interesting. Apparently, there are two sets of lyrics. The original lyrics are what I know, but the revised lyrics include a reference to Davey Jones. Here is a link to a CHINFO page on Anchors Aweigh.

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
I'm pretty sure the "Official Navy Hymn" is "Eternal Father"...
I have it in mp3 somewhere... and it is quite beautiful, but very... choir-like. And very "Christian"... guess that hails back to the foundation of our (or the British) Naval Customs.

When I attended Navy Dive School years ago, we were required to sing our respective service's songs (while treading water with two heavy tanks on your back)...a crusty Navy Chief got in an argument with one of the young 2nd class instructors saying that Anchors Aweigh was unofficial.
Not sure if that has changed, though it certainly should be the official anthem (vice hymn).

Eternal Father has quite a few verses...it has been added on to half a dozen times and has a verse for the Coast Guard (cool!), along with Merchant Mariners, SeaBees, Subbies, Divers, etc., etc. Can't someone think of a verse for admin-types assigned ashore (Eternal Father, to whom we pray/Watch over those who screw up our pay)? Just a thought.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eternal_Father

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
According the the CHINFO link I posted, it is the official song of the U.S. Navy.

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
Yea, I attended that training in '95, so I'll bet things have changed. It is a really rousing tune and what you think of when you think of the Navy, and haze grey ships plowing the seas ready to put the hurt on someone.

Edit: Just saw in the link where it was official...so I'm not sure if the chief was incorrect. I know that would be unprecedented.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Right. No debate, but I didn't know if you knew. After all, you didn't know Anchor Aweigh mentioned Davey Jones.:icon_tong

In the real lyrics, it doesn't. Besides, my brain is filled with important aviation information... you?