• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

An outstanding AMDO application

toofkir

So, other than the obvious (excellent OAR scores, GPA and aircraft maintenance experience ), what does an AMDO board consider an outstanding package? Not just what's competitive, but what stands out.

What single aspect, other than what I listed above, should an applicant focus more attention on to stand out for an AMDO board specifically?

Aaron Starks

So, other than the obvious (excellent OAR scores, GPA and aircraft maintenance experience ), what does an AMDO board consider an outstanding package? Not just what's competitive, but what stands out.

What single aspect, other than what I listed above, should an applicant focus more attention on to stand out for an AMDO board specifically?

I'm with you toofkir. This would be very beneficial information.

toofkir

Come on guys...nothing good to share?!

I'm an Air Force guy so my perspective is different...

Nevermor70

With the AMDO community being so small, it is going to be most beneficial to get in touch with the AMDO Officer Community Manager and get your name out there if you're serious about AMDO. You are going to want to do your homework before you call though. Have a good idea of the career progression and general billets that an AMDO fills, and the process to get your Professional Aviation Maintenance Officer qualification. The OCM will give you guidance on what he is looking for in a competitive package.

Here are a few resources to check out:

www.amdo.org -Explore the whole site, but specifically check out the second bullet down "What is an AMDO?" and check the links.
http://www.npc.navy.mil/bupers-npc/officer/Detailing/aviation/amdo/Pages/default2.aspx - NPC AMDO page
http://www.npc.navy.mil/bupers-npc/...ers/restricted/Pages/AviationMaintenance.aspx - Check out the AMDO Community Brief at the bottom of the page

exNavyOffRec

With the AMDO community being so small, it is going to be most beneficial to get in touch with the AMDO Officer Community Manager and get your name out there if you're serious about AMDO. You are going to want to do your homework before you call though. Have a good idea of the career progression and general billets that an AMDO fills, and the process to get your Professional Aviation Maintenance Officer qualification. The OCM will give you guidance on what he is looking for in a competitive package.

Here are a few resources to check out:

www.amdo.org -Explore the whole site, but specifically check out the second bullet down "What is an AMDO?" and check the links.
http://www.npc.navy.mil/bupers-npc/officer/Detailing/aviation/amdo/Pages/default2.aspx - NPC AMDO page
http://www.npc.navy.mil/bupers-npc/...ers/restricted/Pages/AviationMaintenance.aspx - Check out the AMDO Community Brief at the bottom of the page

If he is going through an NRD and OR he will be informed that all communication must go via OR and NRD, those who do not have an OR are afforded leeway since they don't really have someone to guide them.

In the past when a person going through an OR has contacted an OCM or PM the NRD CO would receive a phone call asking why the NRD's candidates were not going through the OR.

Nevermor70

If he is going through an NRD and OR he will be informed that all communication must go via OR and NRD, those who do not have an OR are afforded leeway since they don't really have someone to guide them.

In the past when a person going through an OR has contacted an OCM or PM the NRD CO would receive a phone call asking why the NRD's candidates were not going through the OR.

Got it, I've never dealt with an OR so I'm not sure how that process works for contacting the various communities.

Mr. Kameyama

Okay what is an OR and NRD? I'm new to this so I don't know all the terms. I'm just starting to put together my AMDO package. I'm a civilian navy veteran. I'm on this site to gather as much information as I can to hopefully be selected for OCS under the AMDO designation.

exNavyOffRec

Okay what is an OR and NRD? I'm new to this so I don't know all the terms. I'm just starting to put together my AMDO package. I'm a civilian navy veteran. I'm on this site to gather as much information as I can to hopefully be selected for OCS under the AMDO designation.

NRD is a Navy Recruiting District, you had to go through one to enlist, and OR is Officer Recruiter, they are your starting point.

Mr. Kameyama

Okay thank you! In a sense they're the same. The OR works for the NRD. I started at NRD and was referred to a OR. I'm a little worried though because the OR doesn't seem to know everything about the AMDO program.

I asked him how often do they board and he said whenever there are open billets or enough applicants. From what I've read this is incorrect. They board once a year in February from what I've seen on this site. I'm scheduled to take my OAR next month. I've ordered my transcripts and I'm networking to meet with active and former AMDO'S for LOR and interviews. Am I headed down the right track??

exNavyOffRec

Okay thank you! In a sense they're the same. The OR works for the NRD. I started at NRD and was referred to a OR. I'm a little worried though because the OR doesn't seem to know everything about the AMDO program.

I asked him how often do they board and he said whenever there are open billets or enough applicants. From what I've read this is incorrect. They board once a year in February from what I've seen on this site. I'm scheduled to take my OAR next month. I've ordered my transcripts and I'm networking to meet with active and former AMDO'S for LOR and interviews. Am I headed down the right track??

I would say you are on the right track, it doesn't surprise me he doesn't know much about AMDO since it is a small designator and the bulk of selections come from active duty, so he will probably put minimal effort into helping you get your application together. What does concern me is he didn't take the 2 minutes to look up the board info.

Mr. Kameyama

I would say you are on the right track, it doesn't surprise me he doesn't know much about AMDO since it is a small designator and the bulk of selections come from active duty, so he will probably put minimal effort into helping you get your application together. What does concern me is he didn't take the 2 minutes to look up the board info.

There another OR in the same office but he is on leave. I'll talk to him when he returns. In the mean time, I'm studying for my OAR.

What would you recommend for the BEST OAR prep material to use? I want to shoot for a 55+. I'm dedicated to this designation and am going to do everything I can to build a stellar package. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

exNavyOffRec

There another OR in the same office but he is on leave. I'll talk to him when he returns. In the mean time, I'm studying for my OAR.

What would you recommend for the BEST OAR prep material to use? I want to shoot for a 55+. I'm dedicated to this designation and am going to do everything I can to build a stellar package. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Sure go for 55 but unlike going enlisted the score isn't going to matter much, it is degree, GPA, employer LOR's, etc...

Mr. Kameyama

Sure go for 55 but unlike going enlisted the score isn't going to matter much, it is degree, GPA, employer LOR's, etc...

Okay thank you. I'm working on getting my employer LOR and other AD/retired LOR from 0-6 ^. Now is there medical exams I will need to have done? Physical, hearing, eyes, etc. And if so do I have to set this up or does the OR?

For AMDO interviews, what all should I bring with? I'm thinking as much stuff from my AD as possible such as evals, awards, warfare quals, training jacket, school certs, etc. My current resume, diplomas, transcripts, and a list of questions. Anything to add to that???

Mr. Kameyama

I actually got in contact with the AMDO OCM this week. He was very helpful yet stern over the phone. He did not ask why I am calling and not my OR. He took down my information and pulled my service record. He also sent me an email with some good info and links.

I have come to the realization that putting together a stellar package is the key to being competitive and it is up to the candidate to insure his or her package is put together well. A serious candidate must understand the AMDO community and career path. I have been doing non stop research for the past two weeks and have learned a good amount about the AMDO designation. I am hopeful that I will be selected this coming February. This website has helped out a lot so far so thank you to everyone!!!