• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

An impossible ask . . . .

jmcquate

Contributor
Paris Gun was the first time the orbit of the earth had to be accounted for. Pretty wild considering it was 1917.
The only book about The Paris Gun that I know of. Used to be pretty rare, but I think it was re-published recently.

AuthorMiller, Henry Willard, 1884-
TitleThe Paris gun; the bombardment of Paris by the German long range guns and the great German offensives of 1918 [by] Henry W. Miller.
PublishedNew York, J. Cape & H. Smith [1930]
Descriptionix, 288, [4] p. front., illus., plates, maps. 22cm.
General NoteMaps on lining-papers.
Bib. NoteBibliography: 4 p. at end.
SubjectsGermany. Heer -- Artillery.
World War, 1914-1918 -- Campaigns -- France.
World War, 1914-1918 -- France -- Paris.
LC Card Number30-5262

Python

pilot
Contributor
That's kind of my point.

If it is useless then why do people care so much? I can think of a million useless things the Navy or DOD spend money on but I don't care enough to post all over social media and message boards about it.

Don’t worry. We post and bitch about those other useless things too. I get it, you don’t. But to think that diversity training is singled out is wrong.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
If it is useless then why do people care so much? I can think of a million useless things the Navy or DOD spend money on but I don't care enough to post all over social media and message boards about it.
Then you haven't been paying attention. There are plenty of NFAAS and PRT memes out there, to name just a couple off the top of my head.

Also, I don't know of any sailors who like sitting through sexual assault training. Trainings like these and extremism training leaves most people with a taste in their mouths like the Navy thinks that sailors are racist, sexually uncontrollable miscreants.

Last edited:

nodropinufaka

Then you haven't been paying attention. There are plenty of NFAAS and PRT memes out there, to name just a couple off the top of my head.

Also, I don't know of any sailors who like sitting through sexual assault training. Trainings like these and extremism training leaves most people with a taste in their mouths like the Navy thinks that sailors are racist, sexually uncontrollable miscreants.
The thing that makes me the most mad about those is that its a half hearted effort on the Navy's part to just absolve themselves of responsibility.

Mirage

pilot
That's kind of my point.

Dude there's a whole thread on this topic that you participated in. If you don't remember why people care so much then go read it again, but the BLUF is that one man's diversity initiative is another man's discriminatory policy. Requiring photos at boards specifically to allow boards to provide an advantage to minorities provides an equivalent (unfair) disadvantage to whites. That's true systemic discrimination on the basis of race, and that's wrong.

Pags

N/A
pilot
The only book about The Paris Gun that I know of. Used to be pretty rare, but I think it was re-published recently.

AuthorMiller, Henry Willard, 1884-
TitleThe Paris gun; the bombardment of Paris by the German long range guns and the great German offensives of 1918 [by] Henry W. Miller.
PublishedNew York, J. Cape & H. Smith [1930]
Descriptionix, 288, [4] p. front., illus., plates, maps. 22cm.
General NoteMaps on lining-papers.
Bib. NoteBibliography: 4 p. at end.
SubjectsGermany. Heer -- Artillery.
World War, 1914-1918 -- Campaigns -- France.
World War, 1914-1918 -- France -- Paris.
LC Card Number30-5262
Hard to find much info as the guns and technical documentation were destroyed to avoid turning them over to the Allies.

Also fascinating that the barrel wear was so great that each subsequent she'll was slightly larger and had to be fired in a specific order.

SELRES_AMDO

Dude there's a whole thread on this topic that you participated in. If you don't remember why people care so much then go read it again, but the BLUF is that one man's diversity initiative is another man's discriminatory policy. Requiring photos at boards specifically to allow boards to provide an advantage to minorities provides an equivalent (unfair) disadvantage to whites. That's true systemic discrimination on the basis of race, and that's wrong.
Thanks for answering my question truthfully. That is a much better response than people claiming it's useless.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
The thing that makes me the most mad about those is that its a half hearted effort on the Navy's part to just absolve themselves of responsibility.
I don't think any senior leader believes that, particulary because of the amount of resources invested in these programs.

However, let me introduce you to the new hotness buzz phrase of 'resiliency.'

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
However, let me introduce you to the new hotness buzz phrase of 'resiliency.'
Ah.. I have heard of this. My Army and Air Force nephews and nieces have told me all about it. Then I heard a pod cast about bad social science that covered Master Resilience Training (MRT). Standby for nonsense. Some of the coping techniques and psycho babble might be useful for some number of Airmen and Soldiers that don't even know what the word cope means, but the program, TEN DAYS LONG for Army NCOs,, totally fails to meet the objectives of suicide prevention and reduction of PST cases. No evidence AT ALL. Oh and the Army and Air Force has spent over $100M on it.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Ah.. I have heard of this. My Army and Air Force nephews and nieces have told me all about it. [resiliency]
About five years ago (maybe more) the Navy Reserve started contracting head shrinks to travel to the NOSCs to conduct a mental health resiliency check over a drill weekend (I think it was once a year). Basically anyone who wanted to could chat one on one with one of the shrinks and everyone was encouraged to, even if they didn't have any issues (helps get a better cross section of the population). Whatever was said, one on one, was confidential inasmuch as not being attributed to the person, but would be fair game for mention in the out brief to the skipper.

I wondered about the bang of the buck of these things but the people problems that these guys found might surprise you. Apparently we had one guy who was living out of his car (unemployed other than being a reservist) and we were able to get the person some assistance, in a roundabout way without directly violating that confidentiality thing. These mental health professionals also brought with them information for all kinds of different programs (a lot of it Military OneSource, unsurprisingly) and they'd directly connect individual sailors with points of contact, with the person's consent of course.

But a ten day long NCO course...? Good heavens.