• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Ammunition reloading advice, tips and tricks

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Holy, resurrection!

Your "more free" sources also need some checking;

If I mention "free" sources, and also mention LC brass. You can probably figure it out it's not berdan primed.

Regardless, I'm done with the idea of reloading. When the firearms market recovers at the next election, I'll try and unload all of my commercial once-fired .308 that I'm currently sitting on. Until then, selling off 100 rounds at a time to who people that are interested (which is rare right now) almost doesn't pay for shipping in this market.

Random

Holy, resurrection!

Yeah, my serious bad on that; I noticed way too late and was originally going to apologize for the Jurrasic Thread, then I realized I should identify as a clueless NUB and demand a participation award, therapy cat, maybe even some play-doh.

If I mention "free" sources, and also mention LC brass. You can probably figure it out it's not berdan primed.

Regardless, I'm done with the idea of reloading. When the firearms market recovers at the next election, I'll try and unload all of my commercial once-fired .308 that I'm currently sitting on. Until then, selling off 100 rounds at a time to who people that are interested (which is rare right now) almost doesn't pay for shipping in this market.

It's all too cheap to deal with if you're not using it...or collecting. Heck, aluminum AR lowers go for $30 if you wait for sales...there's an enormous glut on the market that won't go away for at least a year and a half, probably closer to six. By then we'll be back to...when this thread was young, and you can't buy a picture of a firearm.

Of course, when that day comes you'll be shipping 308 brass one piece at a time in armored cars. I can remember when once-fired 40 brass was worth more than silver, ounce for ounce, assuming you could find it.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
.223/5.56 is cheap enough to preclude any need for reloading unless you are hand crafting match ammo.

I shoot 3,000 rounds of 9mm and .45 ACP per year - and at that volume its thoroughly worthwhile.

People are no longer picking up brass at most ranges. I can go to any number of local ranges and home home with 1000 9mm once fired cases. .45 is getting rarer. New production .45 ACP with the small primer pockets is another wrinkle I am trying to deal with.

CAMike

None
Contributor
I pay son $5 each visit to have him sort through the 45 brass. This small primer situation supposedly started when Wal-Mart told the ammo manufacturers that they needed to lower the price of their goods. So the manufacturers began to use SP vs. LP's to help lower production costs. At this point I still discard small primer 45 brass. But IF and When the 45 brass at the range gets to about 50/50 on primers, maybe I'll switch to SP exclusively. IMO primer usage doesn't matter on non magnum recipes.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
People are no longer picking up brass at most ranges. I can go to any number of local ranges and home home with 1000 9mm once fired cases. .45 is getting rarer. New production .45 ACP with the small primer pockets is another wrinkle I am trying to deal with.

I have a bunch of reloaded .45 brass from the mid-90's that I've been lugging around the western hemisphere for the last 19 years. Assuming it's not small-primer, and if reloaded brass is worth your time (it's all been shot once by me), I'm happy to send it your way if you pay shipping and a small nominal fee.