• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Ammunition for arguments about guns and mass killings

usmcecho4

pilot
Apparently some dude in the Philippines went on a knifing spree that left 10 dead and 14 wounded. Goes to show that a motivated crazy will find a way to make his insanity known. Fun fact: if this incident had happened in a western democracy and with a gun it would have been tied for the 14th highest body count from 1966-2002. I would argue however that when your "knife" approaches two feet in length you have to start calling something other than a knife.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18992200/
http://www.gun-control-network.org/GF02.htm

Semper Fi,
usmcecho4

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
.... I would argue however that when your "knife" approaches two feet in length you have to start calling something other than a knife.....

Right ... it's called a "Bolo", or a "Parang" in the P.I. .... the Filipinos like the blade, a legacy of generations spent working in the cane fields and the jungle. This is an example of what our troops used to sport during Philippine and Panama service, a US-marked military BOLO (probably made @ Springfield Armory) conceived as a direct result of the experiences derived fighting Moros in the Philippines.

bolo1.jpg

If you were to go to JEST in the Philippines ... this is what you might bring home. The Negrito instructors sell them at the end of the week-long course, assuming you are still alive ...:D This looks just (JEST?) like mine, made from surplus US Jeep leaf springs, sans the SERE decal. No decals available to our "Joes" ....

Jest_Bolo.jpg

Also check my favorite resource, Wikipedia :sleep_125, for a quick and dirty brief:
BOLO KNIFE

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor

If you were to go to JEST in the Philippines ... this is what you might bring home. The Negrito instructors sell them at the end of the week-long course, assuming you are still alive ...:D This looks just (JEST?) like mine, made from surplus US Jeep leaf springs, sans the SERE decal. No decals available to our "Joes" ....

Jest_Bolo.jpg
Those Negrito instructors were awesome...and could do anything with those knives.

"Doming Bulanhigan skillfully slices a piece of bamboo with his machete, demonstrating how to carve rice cookers and spoons and draw water from this life-sustaining plant."

The 52-year-old Negrito is a master of jungle-survival skills, acquired from decades of teaching Marines and sailors his secrets. But since the U.S. Navy pulled out five years ago, his audience has become tourists from the Philippines and Taiwan.

"'I miss them pilots,' Bulanhigan said, shaking his head slowly. 'My name was the most popular in the whole Navy. Yes, mum, we love them. If the U.S. military comes back, we'll be here.'" [...]
survivalsm4.jpg

http://starbulletin.com/97/05/28/news/story2.html

RAS

retired but still flying
None
On the subject of JEST, the instructors are still there. Saw a special on DSC -- the forest area the Navy used for JEST is being kept as pristine as when the Navy "owned" it. Now that things have had time to cool and we are assisting them with their anti-terrorism efforts, could the military use this training facility again and start running classes through JEST? Where is jungle survival training conducted?

MasterBates

Not sure if JEST still exists...

Aside from SERE and the classroom stuff at API I have had no survival training aside from what I taught myself or already knew.. DEST, CWEST, etc are sometimes an add-on if you were at SERE when the temp allowed the qual.. I think DEST is in Socal still. I tried to go twice, no fundage for the TAD.

Calling A4s to weep for the future.....

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
If you are interested in further survival training...I'd like to throw a plug towards Tom Brown Jr's Wilderness Tracker School. The classes are amazing and, although prices have gone up, they are still quite reasonable for what you are getting. I have done two classes...PM me with questions.

http://www.trackerschool.com/

Fezz CB

"Spanish"
None
Screw that! I get all my survival training from Man vs. Wild.

Where else can you learn to squeeze water from huge piles of elephant sh!t?