• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

American Airlines Mil Discount

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I hope US Air does buy Delta.......

RIGHT ... especially since the ONLY thing USAir has done with any confidence or regularity since the Deregulation Act of 1978 has been to buy other airlines, drive them into insolvency, screw their employees, cut salaries, line the pockets of upper management carpetbaggers, eliminate promised pensions, screw the flying public, and still go on looking for their next victim ... question: where are the FEDs while all this goes on ... ???

The world wonders ... :sleep_125

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
RIGHT ... especially since the ONLY thing USAir has done with any confidence or regularity since the Deregulation Act of 1978 has been to buy other airlines, drive them into insolvency, screw their employees, cut salaries, line the pockets of upper management carpetbaggers, eliminate promised pensions, screw the flying public, and still go on looking for their next victim ... question: where are the FEDs while all this goes on ... ???

The world wonders ... :sleep_125
Actually, I can add another one to your list: Lose nittany03's luggage.:icon_tong

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Lets be honest, products and individual customer experiences vary with the direction of the wind, the customer service agent you deal with and the crew in the aircraft. These are facts.

Delta
: in BK, a take over target.
United: still in BK after how many years, I forgot?
Northwest: in BK
America West: once in BK
US Airways: once in BK bought by America West, combined operation solvent making money
Continental: in BK many years ago, in pretty fair shape now, considered a survivor. Making money.
AA: Never in BK, has survived post 9/11 in good shape and has not walked away from any employee benefits, including pensions, which have all but been removed from every other airline. Making money.
Southwest: Making money only because of it's fuel hedges. If they paid what AA and NWA pays for gas they would be losing money hand over fist. What does that say about their current operations? Does that make them a better airline operation or just better investors.
JetBlue: Things are not going well. In the last couple quarters every airline has done better. The ones losing money lost less and many are in the black. Some how, JetBlue is doing worse. Quarterly loses, stock down, reduced growth, rejecting Airbus orders for smaller jets. Let's see, new airplanes that are extra fuel efficient and under warranty, employees still at the 1-4 year step on the pay scale ( lower labor costs over legacy carrier) very favorable press and seemingly very good customer satisfaction. How is it that Continental can pay it's people much better, fly older less efficient aircraft and provide expensive services on their international routes and still make money when JetBlue can not?

Bottom line, they are all safe and generally provide good service. Just shop and buy the lower fare. Keep in mind that saving just $10 can cost you a $100 in headaches if you do not do your homework.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
... Northwest: in BK...
Slight edit, if I may ... the NWA "bankruptcy" (filed same day as Delta -- just prior to the bankruptcy laws being changed --- what a coincidence, yes??:icon_wink ... But only if you subscribe to the tooth fairy :bunny_125) was a complete sham ... they had nearly 650 MILLION "in the bank" when they filed ... it was filed for one reason and one reason ONLY: to break the Unions and thus lower costs.

And they basically did ... they would have turned a profit quarter before last were it not for "creative accounting" with bankruptcy costs to demonstrate a "poor me" face for the judge while he was considering the union contracts and stike threats. NWA DID turn a profit this most recent quarter now that they have the union concessions behind them and employees whipped into shape.

Bottom line: I am making as much in retirement as their line Captains are who are still draggin' their asses across the Pacific for 15-20 days a month (including commute time).

Glad I'm G-O-N-E.

Plus .. I have re-learned what it's like to sleep all night long. :)

joboy_2.0

professional undergraduate
Contributor
I wouldn't be surprised if "Creative Accounting" is now officially a course in Business degree programs.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Slight edit, if I may ... the NWA "bankruptcy" (filed same day as Delta -- just prior to the bankruptcy laws being changed --- what a coincidence, yes??:icon_wink ... But only if you subscribe to the tooth fairy :bunny_125) was a complete sham ... they had nearly 650 MILLION "in the bank" when they filed ... it was filed for one reason and one reason ONLY: to break the Unions and thus lower costs.

And they basically did ... they would have turned a profit quarter before last were it not for "creative accounting" with bankruptcy costs to demonstrate a "poor me" face for the judge while he was considering the union contracts and stike threats. NWA DID turn a profit this most recent quarter now that they have the union concessions behind them and employees whipped into shape.

Ya, it wasn't enough that they had already beaten down the Mech's long before the BK. I think lots of folks made a double take when NWA filed. Delta's was expected.