• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

AMDO vs SWO (IP/IW) - So many questions...

Which SWO has a less stressful work lifestyle?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Oliver M. Brown

Hello Air Warriors, I have been on this site reading different posts for about 4 months now but I keep noticing that a lot of these threads are rather old, so I have a few questions that I was hoping I can get some updated answers, please.
Just a brief backdrop of my story. I am active duty enlisted and currently putting my OCS package together and at first I was aiming for Supply Officer, but my age waiver was denied, so I am revamping and looking to apply for AMDO and SWO. Here are my questions:
1. Does anyone know the board dates for AMDO &/or SWO?
2. How competitive are the two options (AMDO/SWO)?
3. How do I go about finding a O-5 or higher to give me an interview appraisal if I have never met one?
4. My OAR is 56, is that competitive, or should I aim higher?
5. What are the top three things that the board will consider when looing at my package and comparing it to other candidates?
6. Should I try to get Letters of Recommendations or is that just for civilians looking to join the NAVY as an Officer.?
7. I am currently in a squadron, so I have an idea of what an AMDO has to deal with. What is life like for a SWO (first 2yrs and then the years to follow)?
8. This may be a dumb question: I have been in the Navy 5 years and never had the opportunity to go on boat. Do SWO's always go to the boat?
9. What can I add or subtract from my package to make it stand out.

I know some of these questions may seem vague, but any help, suggestions or recommendations will help. I have been a bit down since having that age waiver rejected so I am hoping I will get a ray of hope with the answers to the above questions. Thank you in advance for your help and comments.

exNavyOffRec

Hello Air Warriors, I have been on this site reading different posts for about 4 months now but I keep noticing that a lot of these threads are rather old, so I have a few questions that I was hoping I can get some updated answers, please.
Just a brief backdrop of my story. I am active duty enlisted and currently putting my OCS package together and at first I was aiming for Supply Officer, but my age waiver was denied, so I am revamping and looking to apply for AMDO and SWO. Here are my questions:
3. How do I go about finding a O-5 or higher to give me an interview appraisal if I have never met one?
5. What are the top three things that the board will consider when looing at my package and comparing it to other candidates?
6. Should I try to get Letters of Recommendations or is that just for civilians looking to join the NAVY as an Officer.?
7. I am currently in a squadron, so I have an idea of what an AMDO has to deal with. What is life like for a SWO (first 2yrs and then the years to follow)?
8. This may be a dumb question: I have been in the Navy 5 years and never had the opportunity to go on boat. Do SWO's always go to the boat?
9. What can I add or subtract from my package to make it stand out.

I know some of these questions may seem vague, but any help, suggestions or recommendations will help. I have been a bit down since having that age waiver rejected so I am hoping I will get a ray of hope with the answers to the above questions. Thank you in advance for your help and comments.

to clarify are you looking to go SWO or SWO-IP or SWO-IW? they are different animals with different boards

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
all your questions can be answered either by searching on this thread or talking to your command career counsellor. Being in a squadron you likely have a MO who can help find you a senior AMDO and can talk more about the pipeline.

Oliver M. Brown

Thank you for your responses. It feels good to know I have a group to reach out to. I will consider you all my elite team of answers.
Rufio, my CCC is a dead end for me. He just returned from CCC school last week and he is trying his best, but he seems overwhelmed with just what he may have learnt in school. I asked him these question and more and even suggested he reach out to another CCC if possible, but like I said...a dead end. My AMDO is currently reviewing my package, so still awaiting his response.

NavyoffRec, I had no idea that the SWO's were different. From what I read on the different threads here and other sites as well, I gathered that you start off as a SWO, and then after the initial 2 years, you get to choose the avenue you'd like to take (IP, IW, Intel). Can you educate me otherwise? But to answer your question, I was looking into the SWO-IP route? Also, based on your experience, what would you say is the easiest designator to be accepted to...with the following credentials:
4yrs Navy experience
BBA in Finance and Math (2.376 GPA)
OAR: 56

Please PM me if possible.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
SWO is a no go because the minimum GPA to apply is 2.8, no excuses. All other programs are a 2.5 and higher for the most part. Hate to say it but unless you can boost your GPA or pursue a masters you're at a dead end for OCS programs.

navyhaz

http://www.cnrc.navy.mil/Graphic-El...131 FY15 BOARDSKED By Community - Encl 4 .pdf

SWO had a 90+% selection rate. The IDC SWO options are around 1 - 3% selection rate. AMDO holds one board per yer (summer board has been canceled the past few years) and they select 10 - 15 per year.

Your NC1. If you're up to it, call the Community Manager for each desg. you want to apply to. They will (if they feel like being nice) put you in touch with a person near you within the community.

Yes. The bell curve peaks at around 46. Your score is above average.

Great question. This is one we all wish we knew the answer to. http://ajsquaredaway.wordpress.com/

Everything helps. My personal opinion here... Since your a fleet applicant, I would focus on interview appraisals.

Don't know....

Yes

BackOrdered

Contributor
SWO had a 90+% selection rate. The IDC SWO options are around 1 - 3% selection rate. AMDO holds one board per yer (summer board has been canceled the past few years) and they select 10 - 15 per year.

Where are you getting 90+% selection rates for SWO?

exNavyOffRec

Last SWO board had a 97% selection rate, but I was told you also had to have it as your #1 choice to be considered.

I will say the overall numbers RUFIO provided on how many were considered were very low compared to the number that were considered back when a PQ wasn't required and when they would consider those putting SWO 3-5, so with the new parameters those wanting to go SWO have a much better shot.