• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

AMDO Info

PenguinGal

Can Do!
Contributor
I guess it's time to buy a uniform to wear for my commissioning. What do you folks recommend? I was thinking kakis but at this point jogging shorts and a wafflehouse cook tank top would work for me, JK! I also thought about just using the NWU for my pinning but Im not sure I'll need those for awhile and due to the furlough (GS civilian job) I've got to be frugal with the fundage. I know I'll need service dress and kakis for DCOIC.

Thoughts?

I am totally skipping the summoning of NavyOffRec and going back to Bam Bam's question. I know we have talked off-thread about uniforms. I'm going to just give my final opinion again here. I would NOT by the NWUs until you absolutely positively have to do so. You know you are going to need khakis and dress blues. It would be the most logical to buy a set of those and commission in that.

Oh, and CONGRATULATIONS on the PQ!!! I cannot wait to hear that your COMDOCs are in!

mzmtg

CEC DCO Appplicant
Apologies for the threadjack, but this seemed the best place to ask about the current MEPS situation.

My OR presented me with the options of MEPS or a particular local private clinic right off the bat. The closest MEPS is almost an hour away, so I'll be going to the local clinic. (Fingers crossed)

Bam Bam

FTS AMDO
Thanks PenguinGal! I remember your message about the NWU. I plan on buying at least one or two sets of Khakis and my dress blues. I’m sure I’ll find out pretty quickly after signing into my unit what the standard uniform for our organization will be. The last AMDO that I ran into, while I was TDY to Rota, was wearing the NWU. I’ll eventually get the full complement of threads but right now this furlough is hitting my paycheck hard! It’s only the necessities right now!

Will the clothing sales on base even allow me to purchase uniforms? I have a DoD civilian ID card but my AF reserve ID card has expired. The online site denied me entry. I did see some online places that you can buy them but I really don’t know how they fit so I’d rather wait until I can try them on. If worse comes to worse, I’ll refer to my above comment (at this point jogging shorts and a waffle house cook tank top would work for me)!

exNavyOffRec

Bam Bam, congrats!

Apologies for the threadjack, but this seemed the best place to ask about the current MEPS situation. I'd heard the same thing about potentially contracting out the commissioning physicals when we got ready to send me to MEPS, and since I've already had my flight physical, I was hoping they'd just use that (being more stringent, and all). Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to get out of getting herded like cattle in my underwear for my first military experience, but I'm afraid it will hold up my application and we'll miss the next board (not for OCS; I'm waiting for the MSC board so I can hopefully go to ODS in October). Right now, we have my flight physical sitting at BUPERS, and they are waiting for my commissioning physical; my 2807 got sent to MEPS early last week, and we haven't heard anything back yet. I apologize if some of what I'm writing doesn't make sense; I'm not fully clear on my application process, since we had to do things a bit our of order. Does anyone know of any applicants who have gone the route of private/contract physician or an MTF?

If you flight physical was recent you should be good, if it was a long form as well, I had a USMC candidate who completed all the flight physical stuff, we took that physical, sent it to N3M and he was PQ'd.

Halfpint

AEPnot2B
Will the clothing sales on base even allow me to purchase uniforms? I have a DoD civilian ID card but my AF reserve ID card has expired. The online site denied me entry. I did see some online places that you can buy them but I really don’t know how they fit so I’d rather wait until I can try them on. If worse comes to worse, I’ll refer to my above comment (at this point jogging shorts and a waffle house cook tank top would work for me)!
I don't think you will be able to purchase anything on NEX online until you have a DON CAC; I have access to AAFES online because I am an Air Force spouse, but I can't log into the NEX site (was looking for prices and options, etc.).

Bam Bam

FTS AMDO
My Final Select letter has arrived! Now I just have to wait on the comm/docs. The letter says that it should take around 10 days to get the comm/docs but I will be in the middle of my PCS at that time. I’m really hoping that they get here a few days faster so I can swear in with my current OR. Either way, I’m really stoked!

PenguinGal

Can Do!
Contributor
That is awesome! I do hope you get to swear in with your original OR. :) I also hope your wife is in town to be there too!!!

Bam Bam

FTS AMDO
That is awesome! I do hope you get to swear in with your original OR. :) I also hope your wife is in town to be there too!!!

Me too! I will be waiting on the home front commander. She has put a lot of effort in towards this milestone as well!

Bam Bam

FTS AMDO
I commissioned yesterday! My FS letter came in on Tuesday and my Comm Docs came in yesterday. I went down to my OR’s office with my good buddy who is a CW3 Blackhawk pilot and did the desk side swear in. We are going to do a more formal ceremony soon but we had to get the paperwork started because of our PCS that is happening in 11 days. I am supposed to have my indoc drill this weekend at my local NOSC. Talk about hurry up, wait and hurry up again!

I can’t wait to get started! Thank you for all the help and guidance that I have received from the members on AW. It has been an invaluable asset over the past 18 months. Now I have a license to learn even more about our Navy!

JackyB

Hey Bam Bam,
Following your pursuit of a Navy career from my first post in November to today was truly enjoyable. In many instances a happy ending isn't always the case. But your determination was great and you will be a great asset to the Navy.

Best of luck in your new assignment and career.

Bam Bam

FTS AMDO
Hey Bam Bam,
Following your pursuit of a Navy career from my first post in November to today was truly enjoyable. In many instances a happy ending isn't always the case. But your determination was great and you will be a great asset to the Navy.

Best of luck in your new assignment and career.

Sir,
Thank you very much for your vote of confidence. I am really excited to get underway and learn how I can contribute to the Navy mission. This is going to be fun!

Bam Bam