• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Amazing find in a barn: FM-2 Wildcat..and it can be yours for > $100K

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Because the US government bought it and still owns it according to US law and that "shall not be extinguished by the passage of time, regardless of when the sunken military craft sank." The current US law:

http://www.history.navy.mil/branches/org12-12a.htm

I am also pretty certain that international maritime law also applies to ships and aircraft owned by a state the concept of 'sovereign immunity' no matter how long the 'craft' has been in the water, as long as it was not abandoned willfully by the state (dumped overboard as trash, etc). The salvage company Odyssey Marine Exploration is now being reminded of that because a treasure they found in the Atlantic may have come from the Spanish frigate Nuestra Señora de las Mercedes, sunk in 1804. If the treasure is in fact from a Spanish Navy frigate the Spanish government could likely claim it all though the company is arguing otherwise.

I think the only way to ensure revenue is to become a Salvage Lawyer. These things get tied up in court for years sometimes.

bluemarlin04

I always heard about the wrecked plane by the Mokes since I was a kid. Nobody could really tell me where it was though. I grew up free diving all along that area and never did find it. Sounds interesting and I might need to check it out one day. Are you secretive with the location?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Easiest to get to from the last access in where the houses are. If you swim to the Mokes, you know where to go.

I lived a half a block from that last access when I was stationed there. So thanks for reminding me of what I don't have anymore. I hate you and your Mokes.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
There's a lot of misinformation here, some is true, some isn't. Museums don't automatically get first crack at AAF aircraft. It's complicated to explain here. But the Navy is significantly different from AF policy regarding ownership.

The USAF Museum may not exercise it's legal rights to aircraft as vigorously as the Navy but that does not mean they can't. I think it has talked about here how some believe the Navy is a bit obstinate about 'ownership' of sunken aircraft but they often have a legal leg to stand on, even if some believe they are being unfair. That is the law, in plain black and white (interesting the first link it popped up in Google was the Navy history site......).

Can you really claim a stake in something you stuck from the inventory and scuttled intentionally?

In this particular case the salvor would probably have more of a legal leg to stand on since it was abandoned by the Navy but it would also depend on how much the Navy would want it, the government can be intractable sometimes when it comes to stuff like this (particularly the Navy apparently), shockingly enough. Since it is for sale on the open market now I imagine the Navy doesn't have an interest in this one.

ryan1234

The USAF Museum may not exercise it's legal rights to aircraft as vigorously as the Navy but that does not mean they can't. I think it has talked about here how some believe the Navy is a bit obstinate about 'ownership' of sunken aircraft but they often have a legal leg to stand on, even if some believe they are being unfair. That is the law, in plain black and white (interesting the first link it popped up in Google was the Navy history site......).

one.

Trust me - it's complicated

AFMAN 23-110 gives up all aircraft wreck ownership, title, stake, etc prior to 1961. This is from personal experience.

HackerF15E

Retired Strike Pig Driver
None
Still doesn't mean that it can be registered with the FAA without a clear title...and you just can't go pick up a P-47 wreck, rebuild it, and go to your local FSDO and apply for an N number.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Trust me - it's complicated

AFMAN 23-110 gives up all aircraft wreck ownership, title, stake, etc prior to 1961. This is from personal experience.

AFMAN XX doesn't override US Code either, just sayin'.