• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Already have a 1-year old TS clearance, will I have to get a new one for my FS?

AnonymousGuy

None
I have already been Pro-Rec'd from the March 2010 board. However, I'm still waiting on my Final Select letter.

I was enlisted for 5 years, and I just had a Top Secret clearance completed back in February 2009, and then I separated from the Navy shortly thereafter.

I had to fill out a "pen and ink" SF-86 for my initial package...but do I have to get an entirely new security clearance now? Will they have to call all my references again and interview me again and all...or does my clearance carry-over and I'm already fine?

Thanks in advance for your help everyone!

TrunkMonkey

Spy Navy
If your initial investigation is still current (within 5 years), there would be no reason to do another one. The investigation from when you were enlisted should still be in the system.

aukonak

I got my secret clearance a year ago from the DoD, courtesy of the USMC (although I never actually went to OCS). I was told that I'd have to fill out another sf86 regardless. I'm assuming they won't have to do another investigation though.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
I was enlisted for 5 years, and I just had a Top Secret clearance completed back in February 2009, and then I separated from the Navy shortly thereafter.

I had to fill out a "pen and ink" SF-86 for my initial package...but do I have to get an entirely new security clearance now? Will they have to call all my references again and interview me again and all...or does my clearance carry-over and I'm already fine?

Thanks in advance for your help everyone!

They will do it again. They need to cover that period between you seperating and coming back (hence the new SF86). They might well not do all the interviews but the paperwork will make the trip again and they will re-interview you. If you think about it this makes sense. They need to cover all gaps and experiences in life that help make determination of your worthy-ness of a clearance.

The bar is considerably higher for TS since that will lead to SCI if required. If it was just Secret that pretty much determines you have committed a crime today.

TrunkMonkey

Spy Navy
Good point - for some reason I was thinking you were still in. I believe it is a greater than 90 day gap in service and they would have to re-do it.

AnonymousGuy

None
So when exactly can I expect to get this interview? I've heard nothing from anyone. My recruiter said they weren't going to do another one.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
See my PM - You're not the first person to go through this. Remain calm, all is well. If you have to do it again no biggie, won't be your last time.

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
They will do it again. They need to cover that period between you seperating and coming back .... .

Almost. They will cover the period between your last SF86 and current time. Granting a clearance is the prerogative of your CoC, the background investigation is only a recommendation with guidelines to the CoC. For illustration, lets assume in your last SF86 you listed a brief encounter with Mata Hari, which was signed off by CoC as not an issue as it was brief and casual. Well, two days after your clearance was granted, access authorized, you began go see Mata Hari on a frequent basis. After you “got out” you ceased seeing Mata Hari. So you were “dirty” that year while you held the clearance, clean after you “got out.”. Each investigation has it’s own twists and turns, but it covers SF86 to SF86. I have seen reinvestigations when someone walked across the street to another command with the same access; B and P access.

That said, a background investigation is not “one size” fits all. It is impossible to predict what will happen. For those clearances beyond TS/SCI investigations are at least “two deep” wrt references, sometimes more.

Advice: Save copies of all of the SF86's (and addendums) that you file over the years. Fill out the SF86 completely, accurately as possible and then simply relax while the system works it’s magic.