• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Almost time to try OCS again!

john90

Over a year ago I posted on here asking advice on whether to take a temporary NPQ for my patellofemoral syndrome (runners knee) that got me at OCS. Essentially I got a little too motivated before going to OCS for my own good and they decided it was a worn down muscle in my left leg that just needs time to heal. I left OCS in July of 2014.

Now, July of 2015 I just found out a couple of days ago I got my final waiver for my discharge code of RE-3Q. Storyline in brief: left OCS, told I have to wait 6 months to even reapply, Jan of 2015 get a all good letter from a chiropractor, same month told I have to go back to MEPS, fun time party at Meps in March and then told I had to go back to get my ear cleaned.... Passed. Waiver for runners knee given. BUMED signs off on my leg as well as there is no worry of residual problems. Few weeks ago I ran a strong PRT and just got my final waiver for RE-3Q as mentioned before. Now I am ready to reapply.

Me as a candidate: 7,7,7 ASTB, 175 flight hours and a private pilot cert. Lots of volunteer hrs including DAV B-25 flight program, aviation museum work, Civil Air Patrol war bird flight experience and even two weeks as a crew member at Naval Test Pilot School on the B-25. Went to UNC Chapel Hill, did Marine ROTC but as some of you may know there officer acquisition program got kinda fucky. I was selected on my first try for SNA board for the Navy despite my 2.8 GPA (they took into account my working full time). I am pretty much certain I'll be selected again, find myself back up at OCS with a shaved head and plenty of enthusiasm. But here is my main worry and the question I am asking of you, almighty airwarriors: Am I going to get up there on medical Monday and find myself being told they are DQing me for the leg injury I was temporarily NPQ'ed for? I've got an ortho sign off, BUMED and MEPS. And besides this one thing I have zero things wrong with me and a clean slate of health that got me through med Monday the first time. I am just hoping to glean some sort of insight into this as I don't want to find myself right back where I started after this long fight to get back.

My NPQ reads essentially like this, I developed patellofemoral disorder (again just runners knee). Suggest a temp NPQ and I can reapply when healed with a waiver. Got the waiver, med docs saying no worry about future problems, I'm awesome, would want to get a beer with me etc. Cut, dry, simple. But would NAMI theorize that my leg might just completely sever from my torso in midlfight causing my aircraft to veer out of control into Iranian airspace, crashing into a military establishment, beginning WWIII and thus see it as justified to NPQ me for flight.

Your candid responses will be appreciated.

Attachments

• B-25-Panchito-by-D.-Miller.jpg
    B-25-Panchito-by-D.-Miller.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 12

Gator Guard

always knife hands
What exactly were you doing before OCS to develop runner's knee while at OCS? The mileage at OCS is rather low. Had you done any strength training such as squats before going?

john90

Gator Guard,

Essentially I began doing something really different from my usual workout routine before I left. It was snowing a lot in NC in the month leading up to OCS, so I was forced to start running on treadmills. Normally I'd run 3 to 4 miles at a good pace outside, on trails with varying terrain or on a track. Never really used treadmills before but I felt I couldn't take time off running right before OCS. So essentially I started using them everyday since the snow and ice persisted and as I'm sure you know, treadmills are easier. So I suddenly found myself cranking that thing up to 10 mph to 11. Running 3 miles in 18 min etc. Which, at my size, 6'5'' and 240 at the time, I think the increased pace matched with the unnatural stance treadmills give you lead to it. I was also using the squat machines as you mentioned before. Normally I avoid gyms altogether and just did bodyweight exercises.It was on a 4 mile run on the treadmill at high speed that I first noticed the pain. 1 week out from OCS...
Never had any kind of sports medicine injury before so I just rested up and stretched before going, it didn't give me pain at rest. It wasn't until I got there that I realized something was critically wrong. During the run around the hallway in circles I first noticed it, requested medical and was given 800 mg of ibuprofen twice a day. Which meant I felt nothing, which seems great until it allowed me to really hurt myself on a run there.

Gator Guard

always knife hands
Thanks for the reply. It sounds like you know how to avoid it going forward, and best of luck to you. I would bet the bank you get selected again, so just stay healthy.