• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

All things MV-22 Osprey

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Unless we're at an airfield, where we STOL at least half the time.

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
Not quite sure if anyone on the Truman can verify, but Osprey COD Trials were set to start 19 APR.

"The first phase of the assessment Starts April 19, when operators will be “conducting palletized cargo and cyclic operations” using the MV-22 on the Truman’s deck, says Rear Adm. William Moran, Navy aviation chief. This will include transfer of passengers, cargo and “cyclic flight operations."

I'm way out of my lane here but I can say that I actually got blown off the back side of LZ-7 (and down the hill) by an Osprey a couple of years ago. I snuck around back there to get some good video (looking for it now) and one came right over my head at about 100 feet or so. My guess is they won't but if they are talking vert rep as well it will be interesting to see how the guys on deck handle that rotor blast. It sure felt much more powerful than the 53's I've been under.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Robot wing question...

How much effort to you guys spend on worrying about whether you're going to be in plopter mode or not? I ask because I was coming out of the LHD pad back to the golf course and an Osprey was ahead of us. He stayed in plopter mode at least until he was feet wet, following helo course rules. He turned north when we turned south, so not sure how long he stayed in that mode, but they seemed to be intentionally doing that.

Compare that to Tuesday when I was driving by on the -15 and two Ospreys came in for the break and were still in plane mode approaching the abeam (I'm guessing in the automated mode). Was just curious how much guys purposely fly around like a helo. I'm guessing it's sometimes more effecient when you're trying to get in or out of airspace, depending on where you are.

Renegade One

None
Unless we're at an airfield, where we STOL at least half the time.
Just curious as a ground observer…what's the angle of the tilt-rotor for field STOL? One angle fits all, or variable? If the latter, what's the minimum tilt (from full forward thrust) for ground clearance?

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Just curious as a ground observer…what's the angle of the tilt-rotor for field STOL? One angle fits all, or variable? If the latter, what's the minimum tilt (from full forward thrust) for ground clearance?

The STO angle depends on the situation, though for regular airfield ops 60-deg is the usual. For landings, low 80s are typical 35-deg is where the blades will hit the ground, but that's not a limit I'm interested in testing.

Staying in CONV/VTOL (helo) or APLN depends on the situation. APLN is preferred, but if helo course rules get one someplace easier, then we'll use that. That's especially true someplace like Lejeune, where the base is right across the river. Exiting the NCA surface area, reentering Lejeune's restricted area, etc, etc, can take longer than just taking helo course rules down the river, especially if you're going to the LZs on the west side of base.

It's an airplane that can land like a helo, not a helo that can fly fast.

Birdog8585

Milk and Honey
pilot
Contributor
A lot of their pilots can't think faster than 100 KIAS. It's getting better with time, evidently.

I witness this frequently.

The "a lot" of your comment is dwindling with the continuous inundation of "purebreds" (read: not phrog transitions). That being said, pilots that did fly the phrog like PhrogDriver who transitioned a while back, have had the time to rack up time and experience and they are most certainly not 100kt brains.

dtxz

Looks Lost
pilot
Maybe I should create a new thread for this but was just curious to see if anyone had a good bag they like to bring with em to the plane.

I was looking at the Voodoo Tactical range bags (I think the 53 guys carry similar things).

Looking for something to carry extra pubs, iPad, water bottle, some power bars, goggles/HUD, flashlight, bricks, etc. with:
1. A rigid box shape to keep stuff secure/prevent crap falling out the back going fast
2. Easy Velcro/zippers for the same reason
3. Many compartments that would prevent me from having to blindly dig around one big compartment like I do now
4. Maybe even waterproof? Nalgene loves to blast out some water when we go up high..
5. MOLLE straps so I can mod the bag

Anyone have any good recommendations? I'm scouring Google to find one that fits all my 'wants' but still haven't found a really good one.

As of now, I just use my helmet bag and a carabiner to attach it to the seat frame but it has quite a few drawbacks. It's just a matter of time before the the damn thing falls the wrong way with the zipper open and I bomb a small town with a Nalgene et al.