• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

All things MV-22 Osprey

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
mqa4olrvlwzwqik0dduo.gif

Ondrej Kuzel

Hey! I'm looking for some references about MV-22 for a PC game that's going to feature a fictional VTOL airplane.
Could I ask some pilots to share a little info about how the Osprey handles?
I'd be mainly interested in general response to input (all axes in forward flight), yaw speed in hover, feasible maneuvers, transition to forward flight speed, angle of incidence, landing aoa, how much of a deal is the roll inertia, etc... :) I'll be grateful for anything you'd be willing to share.
(disclaimer - pls share your insights only if you're fine that they may be used as a (very) rough reference for a commercial product ;))

Thanks a lot!

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Hey! I'm looking for some references about MV-22 for a PC game that's going to feature a fictional VTOL airplane.
Could I ask some pilots to share a little info about how the Osprey handles?
I'd be mainly interested in general response to input (all axes in forward flight), yaw speed in hover, feasible maneuvers, transition to forward flight speed, angle of incidence, landing aoa, how much of a deal is the roll inertia, etc... :) I'll be grateful for anything you'd be willing to share.
(disclaimer - pls share your insights only if you're fine that they may be used as a (very) rough reference for a commercial product ;))

Thanks a lot!

For those interested in helping, Ondrej's questions are legit and he has the admin's support. For those willing to help, we can make a PM or I can generate a separate thread for the discussion.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
The problem is that the USMC and USAF, who were always going to be the biggest customers, have almost completed their requirements. The USN will keep it going a while longer, as will Japan. Then the list of customers who have both the requirement for high-speed vertical lift and the money gets small. Israel may come back on board for a dozen or so, then maybe UAE, but who else will do it? The UK is cutting its military to the bone. Germany doesn't do power projection anymore. France won't buy anything that isn't made in France, and the Russians and Chinese certainly aren't buying it.

As far as the V-22 v a '47? The V-22 can fly faster, further, and higher. The Chinook can carry more and hover higher. Pretty simple.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
The problem is that the USMC and USAF, who were always going to be the biggest customers, have almost completed their requirements. The USN will keep it going a while longer, as will Japan. Then the list of customers who have both the requirement for high-speed vertical lift and the money gets small. Israel may come back on board for a dozen or so, then maybe UAE, but who else will do it? The UK is cutting its military to the bone. Germany doesn't do power projection anymore. France won't buy anything that isn't made in France, and the Russians and Chinese certainly aren't buying it.

As far as the V-22 v a '47? The V-22 can fly faster, further, and higher. The Chinook can carry more and hover higher. Pretty simple.

Would like to know how close the unrefueled range (with no internals) of the MH-47G is to the MV-22 - my understanding is that the special ops MH-47G carries double the fuel of the CH-47F but was hoping Chinook pilots and Osprey pilots would weigh in. The Navy's MH-53E carries a metric butt ton of gas and can go a long way - albeitly at a lower speed than the tilt-rotor.

A few other metrics would be off the assembly line cost per aircraft and the flight hour cost to operate.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
...The UK is cutting its military to the bone. Germany doesn't do power projection anymore. France won't buy anything that isn't made in France...

Those are two of the only countries left that could actually use it that haven't bought it or aren't planning to. If they need it bad enough France will buy American, their recent purchases of C-130J's and MQ-9's are proof of that, but they just don't have the dough for 'nice to haves' anymore and neither do the Brits.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Would like to know how close the unrefueled range (with no internals) of the MH-47G is to the MV-22 - my understanding is that the special ops MH-47G carries double the fuel of the CH-47F but was hoping Chinook pilots and Osprey pilots would weigh in. The Navy's MH-53E carries a metric butt ton of gas and can go a long way - albeitly at a lower speed than the tilt-rotor.

A few other metrics would be off the assembly line cost per aircraft and the flight hour cost to operate.

It's hard to give an exact range for the the Osprey, because its altitude capabilities give varying ranges, depending on the mission profile. All things being equal, you're talking between 700-800nm in a low-altitude, high threat profile and about 800-900 in a high-altitude profile.

Price is an accounting fiction, but I think the current Osprey sticker is around $57M.

jmcquate

Contributor
Just a wild hunch............is there a fixed vs rotary/Plopter funding civil war going on inside Marine Air?

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That money would be better spent on building better readiness/parts we need to get more birds in the air. We don't need to make assault support pilots into shooters.
But . . . but yut, yut, ooh-rah, Marine Corps! :)

This and the obsession with VSTOL are prime examples of the Marine Corps' subconscious fear of being absorbed by other services. We must be different, lest we be gone. It's the Corps' greatest strength and its greatest weakness. At best, it questions the status quo and comes up with good ideas. At worst, it's its own brand of doctrinal groupthink hell.

This is also a great example of planning for this war, not the next.