• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

All things MV-22 Osprey

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
CASEVAC is one of the key missions of the V-22. The speed comes in kind of handy when someone's hurt.

For size, it's a -46 sideways.

However, it is not a one-for-one replacement. It has added missions no one even thought of for other aircraft, but it does have some limitations. Mission sets, and possibly the T/E of Marine air should be rejiggered.

Pepe

If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid.
pilot
CASEVAC is one of the key missions of the V-22. The speed comes in kind of handy when someone's hurt.

For size, it's a -46 sideways.

However, it is not a one-for-one replacement. It has added missions no one even thought of for other aircraft, but it does have some limitations. Mission sets, and possibly the T/E of Marine air should be rejiggered.

What added missions?

Pepe

pilot
Question for those of you in the know. If I select -46s and play that game before I transfer over to the -22, am I going to be at a disadvantage when it's promotion time because I don't have as many hours and as much expertise as the guys selecting -22 straight out of flight school?

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

11/13/2009 - A U.S. Air Force crew chief from the 8th Aircraft Maintenance Unit marshals a CV-22 Osprey Nov. 12, Hurlburt Field, Fla. Six Ospreys returned from a three-month deployment to Southwest Asia and were welcomed home by their family, friends and co-workers.(U.S. Air Force photo by Senior Airman Julianne Showalter)

11/13/2009 - Maj. Mark Newell, 8th Special Operations Squadron, greets his family Nov. 12, Hurlburt Field, Fla. Major Newell returned from a three-month deployment of six CV-22 Ospreys to Southwest Asia. (U.S. Air Force photo by Senior Airman Julianne Showalter)

phrogdriver

pilot
Super Moderator
Question for those of you in the know. If I select -46s and play that game before I transfer over to the -22, am I going to be at a disadvantage when it's promotion time because I don't have as many hours and as much expertise as the guys selecting -22 straight out of flight school?

Come promotion time to what? Captain? Have a pulse? Done.

Major? Promotion rates are still high, so you'll probably be okay, though MOS credibility may make the difference at the margins.

Pepe

pilot
Come promotion time to what? Captain? Have a pulse? Done.

Major? Promotion rates are still high, so you'll probably be okay, though MOS credibility may make the difference at the margins.

Ya, not too worried about making Captain, more so Major and on up.

phrogdriver

pilot
Super Moderator
You've presumably got enough years between now and ltcol that you should be able to make the transition in time to accumulate credibility, unless you actively run from the V-22. As long as you transition as a captain, I think you'll be fine. You'll just want a full fleet tour in the new aircraft.

Birdog8585

Milk and Honey
pilot
Contributor
MV-22 West Coast Basing

For those of you wondering how the Osprey's on the left coast are going to be set up; the DoN has released a "Record of Decision" on the MV-22's west coast basing (environmental impact statement).

8 squadrons @ Miramar and 2 @ Pendleton. 120 aircraft total, replacing 114.

phrogdriver

pilot
Super Moderator

You're welcome, Navy.

Just got back from this cross-country. Not a bad trip.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Could that fly over not have been done safely at a MUCH lower altitude for more effect? What was that 500' AGL?

phrogdriver

pilot
Super Moderator
IAW FAA regulations--1000AGL over large gatherings. If you're going to bust FARs, probably not best to do it with half the flag officers in the Navy/MC watching.