• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

All DoD personnel accounted for and safe in Japan...

villanelle

Nihongo dame desu
Contributor
Oh shit. BBC reporting large explosion/potential primary breach at Fukushima. This is going to get ugly.

I have no idea what this (or anything I reading on the news about the situation) means. More specifically, I have no idea how freaked out I should be.

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
Well, right now everything is being blown over the sea, but I am watching this very intently.

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
Oh shit. BBC reporting large explosion/potential primary breach at Fukushima. This is going to get ugly.

I think, or at least hope, the BBC is wrong. From what I understand a building's, adjacent to the reactor building, roof caved in and caaused an explosion, no effect on the reactors, directly. All containment building are intact. The evacuation zone has been incresed from 10 km to 20 km, the evacuation zone is eliptical in shape, toward north, north, east. While radiation levels are not trivial, in my opinion, the Govt said the levels are decreasing. This is from Nippon Hoso Kyokai.

jus2mch

MOTIVATOR
Contributor
I think, or at least hope, the BBC is wrong. From what I understand a building's, adjacent to the reactor building, roof caved in and caaused an explosion, no effect on the reactors, directly. All containment building are intact. The evacuation zone has been incresed from 10 km to 20 km, the evacuation zone is eliptical in shape, toward north, north, east. While radiation levels are not trivial, in my opinion, the Govt said the levels are decreasing. This is from Nippon Hoso Kyokai.

Here's a pretty interesting article about the reactor situation:

http://www.stratfor.com/analysis/20110312-japanese-government-confirms-meltdown?utm_source=redalert&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=110312%286%29&utm_content=readmore&elq=3f226b3b8eb24ecdaa9013aa0b89b604

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
Here's a pretty interesting article about the reactor situation:

Yes, I saw that. Earlier today CNN also reported a meltdown, think that is what they said or maybe it was that they hoped it was a meltdown..

Some fuel rods melted but not a meltdown seems to be the consensous. Huge difference. Lots of folk hoping for the worst IMHO. Next couple of days will tell.

Related: I have called about 12 folk in the Kanto Plains area, about half answered the phone. All were fine and all reported lack of electricity, gas, water and landline phone service.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
CNN and Fox are both reporting that Japanese govt officials are now "assuming" that a meltdown has occured in a second reactor. Sounds like it has been far more contained than something like Chernobyl however

villanelle

Nihongo dame desu
Contributor
Yes, I saw that. Earlier today CNN also reported a meltdown, think that is what they said or maybe it was that they hoped it was a meltdown..

Some fuel rods melted but not a meltdown seems to be the consensous. Huge difference. Lots of folk hoping for the worst IMHO. Next couple of days will tell.

Related: I have called about 12 folk in the Kanto Plains area, about half answered the phone. All were fine and all reported lack of electricity, gas, water and landline phone service.

All reported lack of electricity, water, etc.? Are they in the Northern part of Kanto?

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
Sounds like it has been far more contained than something like Chernobyl however

The types of reactors involved couldn't be more different... Pretty much a Chernobyl type incident couldn't ever take place in a Japanese reactor. Not that this fact will dissuade the anti-nuke folk.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
The types of reactors involved couldn't be more different... Pretty much a Chernobyl type incident couldn't ever take place in a Japanese reactor. Not that this fact will dissuade the anti-nuke folk.

I've already seen enough completely ignorant anti-nuke FB status updates to piss me off for a while on the subject of hippies.

The drudge is reporting the following:

‘Military flying in US Navy pumping equipment in a last ditch effort to cool those rods in the nuke plant. Flying out of Yokota Air Base. Wish us luck!’…Developing…

I wish them all the luck and God speed!

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
It's hard to sift through everything and determine an informed opinion of how bad this actually is, but none of the news sounds particularly good.