• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Alaska Airlines 737 MAX 9 Decompression

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
I'll be honest, if there is one, I am unaware of it. Maybe the P-8 guys can confirm/deny? Though they may have dual HUDs on those things, not sure.
Nerd alert: I had to look this up, but it's called an "Eye Reference Indicator". YMMV by manufacturer. They usually look like three little balls arranged in a triangle, although other designs may exist. You set your seat so that your eye sees the front one (white, in the photo) aligned with the back one (orange) on the opposite side, kind of like using a set of iron sights on a pistol. They can help with seat height and track, to put your eye where the cockpit designers intended. Do you have to set your eye precisely there? No, but it's a good place to start if you want some idea of where to adjust your seat. Adjusting to the ERI design point can also help with arm reach and control throw issues, at least if your body falls within reasonable anthro measurements... so lay off the airport food. ;)

Eye Reference.jpg

[/nerdjack]

Last edited:

hlg6016

A/C Wings Here
Nerd alert: I had to look this up, but it's called an "Eye Reference Indicator". YMMV by manufacturer. They usually look like three little balls arranged in a triangle, although other designs may exist. You set your seat so that your eye sees the front one (white, in the photo) aligned with the back one (orange) on the opposite side, kind of like using a set of iron sights on a pistol. They can help with seat height and track, to put your eye where the cockpit designers intended. Do you have to set your eye precisely there? No, but it's a good place to start if you want some idea of where to adjust your seat. Adjusting to the ERI design point can also help with arm reach and control throw issues, at least if your body falls within reasonable anthro measurements... so lay off the airport food. ;)

View attachment 40077

[/nerdjack]
That explains the grease pencil tick marks I used to see on the cockpit window frames when i would clean the glass.

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
Does your jet have the little eye alignment gauge on the center windscreen post? Not saying I wouldn’t have done the same thing, just curious. All the bizjets I have flown have them, not sure about airliners.
Hey, hey, hey…can I chime in regarding the eye alignment gauge???

OK, thanks in advance for letting me chime in!!! :D

We had the eye alignment gauge on [or near] the center windscreen post on the MD88/90 [Mad Dog!!!]. It was like a sore dick…you could NOT beat it! It was a set of three balls [I said “balls”] configured in a triangular manner. Depending on right seat/left seat, you’d line up two of the balls for fore/aft seat position as well as seat height. I used it all the time and it worked like a champ. I’m pretty sure the DC9s that we inherited from the NWA merger had the same alignment guages.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Hey, hey, hey…can I chime in regarding the eye alignment gauge???

OK, thanks in advance for letting me chime in!!! :D

We had the eye alignment gauge on [or near] the center windscreen post on the MD88/90 [Mad Dog!!!]. It was like a sore dick…you could NOT beat it! It was a set of three balls [I said “balls”] configured in a triangular manner. Depending on right seat/left seat, you’d line up two of the balls for fore/aft seat position as well as seat height. I used it all the time and it worked like a champ. I’m pretty sure the DC9s that we inherited from the NWA merger had the same alignment guages.
I’m fairly sure they’re standard on all Part 25 airplanes (transport category, above 19,000 lbs, requiring two pilots).

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot

View attachment 40077

This looks like a really nice thing that Airbus has going on for itself :)

No we do not have those things. But we do have these huge switches to do things like turn on generators (not automatic), and you know, like pressurize the cabin with bleed air. But don't let that distract you from the primary task of not banging the tail on the runway on the takeoff roll, because there is about 3 ft of hook to ramp clearance on these long bitches.
[/nerdjack]