• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Airwarriors.com......then...and now.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Those of us dinosaurs will recall being pissed when 56.6k modems turned out to be more capable than the phone lines they were hooked up to. :)

Anyone else recall CompuServe?

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Then there were the college students, some of which became my students, and now have wings next to their names. My how time flies!

<--- You were the one who finally taught me the proper technique for primary power on stalls (and spins for that matter). Every IP I flew with after that said "damn, you were like one kt above completely losing it on that stall, and I figured you were going to, but it was perfect so I gave you a 5" Can't remember now what the trick was, but it worked every time.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I downloaded the original Wolf 3D shareware from a dial in BBS back in the day. 1200 Baud external modem I think. I had to be <10 at the time. Good times.

And didn't you just throw a rock In the Glass House reserved for Nerds?

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Those of us dinosaurs will recall being pissed when 56.6k modems turned out to be more capable than the phone lines they were hooked up to. :)

Anyone else recall CompuServe?

I remember getting Juno email on a 14.4 modem. With a Magnavox Headstart 386. It had a CD player (which was hella-cool) that you had to load the CD into a cartridge. Oh, and it had a 40mb harddrive, which was HUGE.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That's how I found the forum, doing an Excite search for "that book". And that was prob on my 14.4kbps beast running Windows 2000. How time has flown...

Thanks for the nostalgic walk Websan.
Well, I'm not the Websan....

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
I think one of the first posts I read was by HAL or A4s...
If I remember right, my big splash into the AW pool was getting into a Marine v. Navy joke war with some Jarhead. I'd just gotten furloughed from Hawaiian, had too much time on my hands and was googling jokes. Up popped AW with a Navy joke that required an immediate response.

Flugelman

Contributor
Any of you guys around TW-4 back in '81-82? Remember playing D&D on a terminal in your squadron spaces using a 300 Baud modem? I was the nerd at the other end running the DEC PDP-11 at ATSS. We were in the sim building on the floor above the T-44 sims. Good times...:)

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
Any of you guys around TW-4 back in '81-82? Remember playing D&D on a terminal in your squadron spaces using a 300 Baud modem? I was the nerd at the other end running the DEC PDP-11 at ATSS. We were in the sim building on the floor above the T-44 sims. Good times...:)

I didn't realize people would admit to something like that . . . :D

Flugelman

Contributor
I didn't realize people would admit to something like that . . . :D

What? The D&D? We used the games to get people comfortable using the terminals and kept track of usage. Once it reached a certain level we cut off access to the games and expected people to use the system for real work. Lots of complaints when the games went away.:)

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
And didn't you just throw a rock In the Glass House reserved for Nerds?

I called myself a nerd, or so I thought.

Another random memory I have is spending the better part of an hour dialing into AOL. God that sucked, getting busy signals over and over again.