• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Airspeed! Airspeed!

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
The pilot says the cause was a gust of wind. Looked a bit more like he got into ground effect but didn't have enough airspeed to actually fly. I'm glad everybody got out without any injuries, too bad the plane got balled up pretty bad. I like beavers, hate to see one get ruined.

And since nobody was hurt, let's speculate!

article

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Uh.... I concur. Just look at his AOA as he's coming up over the fence. And judging by his crash, he wasn't going very fast either.

High AOA off the water followed by apparent stall/loss of control coming just out of ground effect. Looks right to me.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
looks like the pilot was more interested in rotating in order to get their perfect youtube video and suffered some kind of bad event. Look at the wind sock. It isn't showing any type of gust. Also, who in their right mind would try to get their wing so close to an obstacle???? Look how close this rhodes scholar gets his wing to the wind sock. Had to lift off there as his numb-nutted videographer was filming from that point on the lake.

Video stunt gone bad.

I mostly enjoyed hearing "holy crap" in super slow motion.

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
Looks like he just ran out of water and couldn't get his required rotation speed, but rotated anyway and stalled it trying to clear the fence. Why did he run out of water? Because he had planned for his buddy to record a cool fly over from right under the plane at their predetermined location. Bad headwork. Lucky cameraman.

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
looks like the pilot was more interested in rotating in order to get their perfect youtube video and suffered some kind of bad. I mostly enjoyed hearing oh crap in super slow motion.

Exactly along the lines of what I was thinking.

Yeah if you watch closely it almost looks likes he tries rotating about 200' before the fence and at that point it definitely looks like he doesn't have enough speed. He probably should have used the rest of the lake instead of going for a cool camera shot on the take off.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
The ONLY way I could imagine trying to save this VERY bad decision/setup would be to try to pop up into ground effect to build A/S and clear the fence/objects before trying to climb OUT of ground effect.

It seemed he made the mistake countless others have made without enough space to build enough A/S to rotate... he yanked back out of instinct and left GE prematurely. He MAY have been able to remain in ground effect (much like a soft field T/O) to build up enough A/S to get airborne.

Damn, now we're REALLY speculating.. and a helo bubba no less! I barely remember what stall-speed is!

KBayDog

It's pretty obvious what happened: The two dogs, who were stuck without a seatbelt (because Chuck Yeager-bomb decided to stuff the rest of his Brady Bunch into the back of the ride for his short-field takeoff) realized that they were traveling with a complete idiot, and either 1. Tried to wrestle controls away from him, or 2. Said "Screw it!" and tried to bail out.

Birdog8585

Milk and Honey
pilot
Contributor
What about over freakin weight? It looks like his right pontoon comes out of the water :)34)... makes me believe that they were trying to get up and out but couldn't...

Wiki says 2100lbs of useful load for the Beaver. 4 people and 2 dogs and 1100lbs of blow...prob just ran outa lake

What? You said speculate...
evilgrin0023.gif

MAKE VAPES

Uncle Pettibone
pilot
ygtbsmp... that numb nut totally screwed the pooch... yes he didn't have enough airspeed to fly, because as the airplane cracks up, you can see the rest of the water strip off to the right! Wonder if the NTSB got the video.

GA scares the crap out of me.

Krafty1

Head in the clouds
He looked heavy and sluggish and definitely forced the rotation early because he didn't leave himself an out. That's what it looks like to me at least. I'm betting like some others that this was probably a YouTube video gone bad. Would be very interesting to read the NTSB report.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
Looks like he was heavy and slow. Insufficient "runway". That baby just did not want to get up on a plane.