• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Airplane Purchases

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
So...If you were going to own your own airplane, what would it be? Let's be realistic though guys...no Gulfstreams...unless of course you have the income to support one. (Of course then I'd have to ask WTF you were doing on the side...) Of course, the idea of what is realistic is open for discussion. Homebuilts, 150's, Extra 300... what would it be?

Been thinking about getting an airplane as opposed to a (0-2E-mobile) and am churning over some ideas.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So...If you were going to own your own airplane, what would it be? Let's be realistic though guys...no Gulfstreams...unless of course you have the income to support one. (Of course then I'd have to ask WTF you were doing on the side...) Of course, the idea of what is realistic is open for discussion. Homebuilts, 150's, Extra 300... what would it be?

Been thinking about getting an airplane as opposed to a (0-2E-mobile) and am churning over some ideas.

It's a bad idea. The Navy is going to essentially give you a plane. Buy a boat instead.

Brett

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
ooo, sailboats! I personally would love to have a J-40 myself. Now that, that's a sailboat :)

scoober, I dunno how much you're talking or what kind of flying, but if I had a choice and a bunch of O-2E money piling up it'd be a choice between a 172 or a Piper Warrior, both are pretty cheap, super reliable, and best of all, fun to fly (for light civ aircraft)

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Brett...you couldn't even let it go one post?:D

This board has the attention span of a 6 year old Ritalin junkie on Halloween...:rolleyes:

I actually have considered a boat...my dad has a Beneteau 423 and I love to sail...

But you guys really think its dumb to buy an airplane? Its not like the Nav lets you bring people with you, and depending on what I select, I would have to think certain <ahem> "flight regimes" may be verboten...no?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Brett...you couldn't even let it go one post?:D

This board has the attention span of a 6 year old Ritalin junkie on Halloween...:rolleyes:

I actually have considered a boat...my dad has a Beneteau 423 and I love to sail...

But you guys really think its dumb to buy an airplane? Its not like the Nav lets you bring people with you, and depending on what I select, I would have to think certain <ahem> "flight regimes" may be verboten...no?

It just seems like for all the money you're going to spend on a plane, you're probably better off renting unless you plan on flying a whole lot of hours. You probably won't have that much free time on your first squadron tour.

Brett

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Gotcha...thanks for the clarification...

I'll let this die if its not even an interesting hypothetical....thinking about bombing around in one of these amuzes me though...

big_spec41747_1.jpg

Ok...maybe not that paint job....;)

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Mefesto said:
The advantage with buying a plane is it's almost certainly going to appreciate.

But is the appreciation going to outweight the cost of ownership? Me thinks it won't.

pilot06

Since we're on the subject of buying airplanes, my future father-in-law is about to buy a 2003 Grumman Tiger AG-5B. I've never flown one and was wondering if anyone had any experience in this a/c.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Since we're on the subject of buying airplanes, my future father-in-law is about to buy a 2003 Grumman Tiger AG-5B. I've never flown one and was wondering if anyone had any experience in this a/c.

Should be a nice piece of hardware. I have a bunch of time in a '77 AA-5 modded w/ the AA-5A engine. GREAT airplane. A little light and dainty in IFR conditions w/ some wind, but still a solid airplane. Landing it takes a little practice at first. If you're not on speed (read: too fast), they have a nasty tendancy to porpoise. But once you realize it's not quite as forgiving on touchdown as a 150, they're a ton of fun to fly.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
I know a guy who used his USAA starter loan to get a taildragger (I forget the type). Then, sold that one and bought a Pitts.

My other buddy ordered a Supercub kit.