• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Airplane Purchases

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor
Since most of us are military pilots here, it seems to me like they wouldn't want to take a big step down in the performance of the aircraft they are flying.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like building time in a c172 warrior won't get you the good quality hours needed to transition to the airlines after your military aviaiton career ends.

A friend of mine in primary said that he will never touch his personally owned C172 again after tearing around in a T-6 II for 6 months.

I'm sorry I hurt your feelings soo much. I guess some people still get a kick out of going 112 knots and climbing at 400ft/min.

What are you contributing here by crapping on the people that enjoy tooling around the sky in a trainer? If you're so enthralled by the T-34C or the T-6II why not just go buy a turboprop? It isn't always about performance, sometimes it is just about the flying.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Since most of us are military pilots here, it seems to me like they wouldn't want to take a big step down in the performance of the aircraft they are flying.

How do you not take a big step down from our military aircraft...I mean seriously...even the war-pig can do 400 kts...

MasterBates

How do you not take a big step down from our military aircraft...I mean seriously...even the war-pig can do 400 kts...

Fly helos. All but the C152's have a faster cruising speed than us.. And many have better range. Then there is that whole comfort thing..

Malice 1

pilot
You guys are right. I guess everyone flys for different reasons. I can't stand tooling around in a c172. I loved flying citabrias and beech bonanzas (they're kinda fast)

If you wanna get slammed into your seat, get a citabria or a corvette. They are the best bang for the buck.

If you just want to leave the ground for a while and chill out, then you really can't beat a skyhawk for value.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Fly helos. All but the C152's have a faster cruising speed than us.. And many have better range. Then there is that whole comfort thing..

Yeah...but apples to apples...a Pitts is faster than an Apache...so what?!:D

Anyone think the 152 is cooler?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Yeah...but apples to apples...a Pitts is faster than an Apache...so what?!:D

Anyone think the 152 is cooler?

Can't speak for an Apache, but a -60 is a helluva lot more comfortable than a Pitts. And no, I don't think anything about a 152 is cool, other than it's airpseed is in knots vice MPH like the 150.

Malice 1

pilot
Can't speak for an Apache, but a -60 is a helluva lot more comfortable than a Pitts. And no, I don't think anything about a 152 is cool, other than it's airpseed is in knots vice MPH like the 150.

150's spin pretty well.

I wouldn't buy one just to do spins on sundays though.

30 min climb, 30 second spin, 30 min climb......

xmid

pilot
Contributor

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like building time in a c172 warrior won't get you the good quality hours needed to transition to the airlines after your military aviaiton career ends.

A friend of mine in primary said that he will never touch his personally owned C172 again after tearing around in a T-6 II for 6 months.

I'm sorry I hurt your feelings soo much. I guess some people still get a kick out of going 112 knots and climbing at 400ft/min.

First off, you aren't hurting my feelings Malice. I could care less. I don't own a 172 and don't plan on buying one anytime soon. No matter what you buy you are going to be taking a HUGE step down from your military aircraft. So I dont even get your logic on that one. When you are cruising around at 500 knots pulling 7 G's at work, the plane you putt around in on the weekend can not possibly compare. And unless daddy's funding it, you probably can't buy a 200 knot plane in the Navy.

2nd off. You're right. All guys/girls that go the civilian route to the airlines just rent out a 737 for 800-1200 hours until they can be picked up by a regional airline...

3rd. A friend of a friend of a friend of mine flew the shuttle... and he said he will no longer fly earthly vehicles because they can not compare to "tearing around" at 17,000 miles per hour...

4th. You my friend are the guy that will argue that anything less than a .45 is pointless to carry because the .45 is the only caliber with "knockdown power". You're the guy that buys the newest 180 hp literbike for your first motorcycle, because you wouldnt be caught dead on a 600. I was hoping you would realize what a tool you were being, I guess I was wrong.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Settle down, ladies. This thread has managed to be 80% useful and 90% on-topic. A new high for the interweb.

jg5343

FLY NAVY...Divers need the work
pilot

Note:

Temporary flight restriction says 300 knots max. And thats only if you are light enough. Doesn't anyone read chapter 4 anymore?

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Note:

Temporary flight restriction says 300 knots max. And thats only if you are light enough. Doesn't anyone read chapter 4 anymore?

Yeah...just in the wrong NATOPS...;)

Sorry...was just going off the fact-file stuff...point stands...ain't no Cessna alive going that fast...:D

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor
Except of course the Cessna Citation X and maybe even my CIation I if I keep the power althe way up as I decend.........:D

I heard the X had to be redesigned with dips under the engines to prevent the plane from going supersonic. Any truth in that?