• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Airline Security

wiseguy04

The Dude abides....
pilot
That is a great video!!! A bunch of collapsible batons wouldn't be a bad idea either. Kind of hard to swing in a crowded airplane though. I seriously think tasers are the way to go.:)

Lawman

None
That is a great video!!! A bunch of collapsible batons wouldn't be a bad idea either. Kind of hard to swing in a crowded airplane though. I seriously think tasers are the way to go.:)

Ever try using one? Not applicable for Multiple Targets. Not very useful in a scenario that involves large groups *I.E. screaming passangers. Long reload time. Batteries dont neccesarily work as advertised. Not a subtable responce to a close range deadly threat.

Tazers were never intended to be a catch all, they were intended to let Police use something between verbal and physical presence and the Baton. Thats right folks, in the force ladder tazers come before batons. Believe me they are great for handling unrully drunks that want to fight to ground with you, but they are not the wonder weapon that videos make them out to be.

Plus they dont always work.
Had an incedent where another Officer used a tazer to stop a very large and very violent subject. He made a good hit, and proceeded to give him a 5 second ride..... didnt even cause him to do more then stumble, half way through the second ride the subject pulled the prongs out of his body.... imagine ripping a fishhook out without cutting off the barb its kinda like that. So yeah at that point it was up the force ladder to something a little more aggresive.

I do like the video though, I like his spirit.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Lawman, are you sworn law enforcement or private security?

highlyrandom

Naval Aviator
pilot
Ever throw a full Nalgene bottle at someone? Pretty soon we won't be allowed to bring water on board.

I have an idea, though...allow crew/passenger use of tasers, with a $10000 fine for any passenger use...reimbursed in full plus free airline tickets by Homeland Security if the target turns out to be a terrorist, and simply reimbursed if the target was found to have been a non-terrorist but a safety threat. How's that for a policy? If it's a terrorist and you shoot him with the taser, you're risking ten grand but the alternative is probably death, whereas the fine will keep people from zapping each other at random, so the probability of accidental death or serious injury is low.

mules83

getting salty...
pilot
Ever throw a full Nalgene bottle at someone? Pretty soon we won't be allowed to bring water on board.

I dropped a full nalogene(sp?) bottle off a 500 foot cliff (philmont-tooth of time anybody?) and saw it hit rock and not break so yeah, they are pretty tough

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

I have an idea, though...allow crew/passenger use of tasers, with a $10000 fine for any passenger use...reimbursed in full plus free airline tickets by Homeland Security if the target turns out to be a terrorist, and simply reimbursed if the target was found to have been a non-terrorist but a safety threat. How's that for a policy? If it's a terrorist and you shoot him with the taser, you're risking ten grand but the alternative is probably death, whereas the fine will keep people from zapping each other at random, so the probability of accidental death or serious injury is low.

Armored cockpit doors, armed pilots and sky marshalls are enough. Anything else on a plane is getting to overkill.....

RockyMtnNFO

None
Contributor
I would be too tempted to Taze the kids in the next aisle that keep hitting the flight attendant paige button; that and my own kids; man, sometimes they just do not keep quiet...probably a law against that somewhere.

Oh, yea and imagine if you are trapped with some guy fresh out of an Amway convention who is really excited about getting you started in "your own business". I would taze that guy on general principal and pay the fine with a big smile on my face. Wow, I sound a little bitter today; probably low blood sugar.

RockyMtnNFO

None
Contributor
Ever try using one? Not applicable for Multiple Targets. Not very useful in a scenario that involves large groups *I.E. screaming passangers. Long reload time. Batteries dont neccesarily work as advertised. Not a subtable responce to a close range deadly threat.

Tazers were never intended to be a catch all, they were intended to let Police use something between verbal and physical presence and the Baton. Thats right folks, in the force ladder tazers come before batons. Believe me they are great for handling unrully drunks that want to fight to ground with you, but they are not the wonder weapon that videos make them out to be.

Plus they dont always work.
Had an incedent where another Officer used a tazer to stop a very large and very violent subject. He made a good hit, and proceeded to give him a 5 second ride..... didnt even cause him to do more then stumble, half way through the second ride the subject pulled the prongs out of his body.... imagine ripping a fishhook out without cutting off the barb its kinda like that. So yeah at that point it was up the force ladder to something a little more aggresive.

I do like the video though, I like his spirit.

okay, I will give you that they don't always work, but when they do and it is caught on video it makes for very compelling television. One of my favorite law enforcement documentaries is "COPS: Tazed and Confused" that's just good tv.

Lawman

None
Lawman, are you sworn law enforcement or private security?
Did the sworn LEO but didnt finish my FTO period before it became obvious that I couldnt do that and have a set enough schedule to go to school. But yeah, been through a Police Academy and have worked on the street. Still have my OPOTA (Ohio Police Officer Training Academy) Certification. Tried working for a Private Company because my father knows the Owner, and got the hell out of there fast due to serious management issues that were gonna get somebody either killed or arrested for doing what they were told. They basically wanted me to do cop things without having the authority or legal right to do so. There were also to many wannabee's. Guys that carried their "Security" Badges and handcuffs off duty.... those guys scare the hell out of me.

Lawman

None
I would be too tempted to Taze the kids in the next aisle that keep hitting the flight attendant paige button; that and my own kids; man, sometimes they just do not keep quiet...probably a law against that somewhere.

Oh, yea and imagine if you are trapped with some guy fresh out of an Amway convention who is really excited about getting you started in "your own business". I would taze that guy on general principal and pay the fine with a big smile on my face. Wow, I sound a little bitter today; probably low blood sugar.

Believe me there are times in my everyday life when I really miss having my duty belt on. People are just much more courteous to you. I was a much bigger fan of OC then the Tazer though, yeah you have the contamination factor, but it just worked better in the times I needed to use it and I could spray repeatedly quickly.

Funny thing I learned on the job, when your in Uniform you can go anywhere in a city and ask to use a bathroom, they take you to the nicest one they have. I have pissed many a time in the Employee restroom at Walgreens. Plus people dont think about this, but when your wearing a full duty belt its a ***** to get your button fly (black utilities) undone and two you really want a lock between you and everybody else when your in that position. If you ever see a cop pissing in a urinal with his weapon on alone that is a good example of complacency.

wiseguy04

The Dude abides....
pilot
If you ever see a cop pissing in a urinal with his weapon on alone that is a good example of complacency.

Unholster it and shove it in your front wasteband. I'm not a cop, but it's what I used to do while working at the armory. Just make sure you safety that piece, or your "other piece" could have a VERY, VERY, VERRRRRRY BAD day!!

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
I'd never do that... Went to the pisser once w/ a side arm... made sure part of my arm was against the weapon at all times. I even do that when I'm walking with a holsterd sidearm... arm brushes against the weapon on every swing.