• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Airline consideration/credit of Helo flight hours?

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I plan to work the lucrative illegal rendition and prisoner transportation market. :D

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Still trying to figure out what my "powered lift" hours will mean on the outside.

Somebdy told me about this as well. Evidently the only people that qualify are Harrier and Osprey dudes. There is a sign-off from the FAA as well. I looked it up in the FARs, but can't find any reference to it other than the qual itself.

Why would anybody need this? What, if anything, will it get me? Just another line for my airline application resume'? Will anybody give a shit?

The only thing that I can think of is that will serve to qualify civilian tiltrotor pilots if the V-22 ever makes it to the civilian market. Even then, it doesn't mean that you are type rated in it, just that you can apply the concepts.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
The Bell-Agusta 609 is the only aircraft that it would apply to in the near future. I'm not an commercial aviation expert, and I'm too lazy to pull out my FARs for the edification of the Internet, but I'm pretty sure it's too light to require a type rating. I'm also not convinced that it will have much of a following except for the ultra-rich (e.g. Middleeastern sheiks and deep-sea oil exploration). One could buy a VLJ and a helo a couple times over for the price of a 609.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
The Bell-Agusta 609 is the only aircraft that it would apply to in the near future. I'm not an commercial aviation expert, and I'm too lazy to pull out my FARs for the edification of the Internet, but I'm pretty sure it's too light to require a type rating. I'm also not convinced that it will have much of a following except for the ultra-rich (e.g. Middleeastern sheiks and deep-sea oil exploration). One could buy a VLJ and a helo a couple times over for the price of a 609.

Concur. I'm just wondering how having a "direct lift rating" in anyway qualifies me to fly that thing, or conversly, disqualifies somebody that flies Hueys/Hornets/Eagles/whatever.

Even yourself, being qualified in something that is at least somewhat like the 609 would still require training before anybody would let you fly one. It just seems like a dumb qualification that could just as easily be covered by a type rating.

plc67

pilot
When it comes to filling out apps, at least on the airline side of the house, I'd put my V22 time under fixed wing if there's no tilt rotor column. From what I've read the Osprey is King Airish in performance and in systems complexity it's quite sophisticated, plus the sell of a glass cockpit. Once you get to the interview sell yourself and let the sim eval sell your flying. As for those pitiful souls whose manhood is always in question, of course they won't hire Marines. The helo thing is something else. Back when I was responsible for determining who to call in for interviews I made the argument to my boss that we'll count Cessna 150 time towards our minimums but not CH53, that just ain't logical. My boss,a former S3 pilot and all around good guy, said go for it. I did and to make a long story short it didn't work out too well. We still counted helo time but not towards minimums.
I'm going into self imposed airline exile soon and have been perusing the job sites and still find the "do not include helo time" statement in the apps. It still irks me but until helicopter pilots assume their deserved role as rulers of the aviation universe we're going to have to live with it.
Grammar Gustapo take note it's an I phone post so I can't review it and the letters are so small I wouldn't if I could.

phrogpilot73

Grammar Gustapo take note it's an I phone post so I can't review it and the letters are so small I wouldn't if I could.
Wow, and I thought I was addicted to AirWarriors. I have yet to make a post from my Treo (not saying it won't happen - because I have browsed the site). Then again, whose balls am I bustin', as I sit here making this post on my birthday gift - an Eee PC...

MasterBates

I posted from an Iphone yesterday. (not mine though)

I do think it sucks that my H60 time counts less than Joboy's Cessna time towards the airlines, but that's how it is.

I may be in a spot of "enough experience, but not enough in the right spots" if I decide to fly when I get out, but shit happens and I will deal with that when it comes.

When my current commitment is up I'm probably going to be in the neighborhood of 3500 hours, 2300ish in helos, 100 or so in jets, 200 in the T34 & 44, and the rest in the E2 or C2, but will be on the low side for PIC time in the FW world.

busdriver

None
Heloanjin,

I remember hearing about the relatively low pay at MSP. I always assumed they were catering to retired military. Does that bear truth? Are most of the guys retired mil?

Heloanjin

pilot
Heloanjin,

I remember hearing about the relatively low pay at MSP. I always assumed they were catering to retired military. Does that bear truth? Are most of the guys retired mil?

No. It's a mix. Maybe 20%-25% retired military. 20%-25% retired troopers. So around half have a retirement check of some sort to augment the pay. Plus there are a few reservists.

Some try to pick up overtime. Others have working spouses. And most live as far from the DC/Baltimore area as possible where housing isn't quite as expensive.

Plenty of openings here, by the way, if anyone is looking for a flying job.

Heloanjin

pilot
You guys still require 2000 hours PIC time?

Yep.

As a Pilot in the Maryland State Police Aviation Command, you will be flying the Eurocopter AS365N Dauphin. The minimum requirements for employment with the Command as a Helicopter Pilot are as follows:
  • FAA Commercial and Instrument Rating in Helicopters
  • Minimum of 2,000 rotor wing hours (as the FAA licensed Pilot in Command)
  • Current FAA Class I or Class II Medical Certificate

Here's a link if anyone is interested.

http://www.mspaviation.org/frames.asp

busdriver

None
I've always held MSP as my plan if I make it through 20 years as a mil helo driver. I would love to fly out of the eastern shore somewhere.

Incidentally, my brother is a paramedic in howard county and can't say enough good shit about what you guys do for them.