• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

aircraft?

trevor jones

I just had a couple questions and couldn't find the answers. First, how long is primary? And second is the T-34 the only thing you fly in primary? I would assume so since after primary they spilt you off to whatever aircraft you received, but I'm not sure.

Thanks for the help

KnightNArmor

ASO
pilot
Primary is generally only 6 months long. Depending on when you get there, it may take a little longer. Hurricane season, bad weather, etc...
If you go to Vance AFB (Oklahoma) you will end up flying the T-6. It's a new aircraft that's got better performance than the T-34.
If you stay at Whiting Field (Pensacola) you'll fly the T-34. They are changing over to the T-6 in Pensacola, but not anytime soon.

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
Ok, from looking at your past posts you appear to be a Marine air contract so here is how things work out for you. (Assuming you are a SNA) You will do Primary at NAS Whiting Field, NAS Corpus Cristi, or Vance AFB. At the two Navy run bases you will fly the T-34C. At Vance AFB you could fly something else.

After Primary you will be given a selection of Jets, Rotary, Maritime (C-130s). You won't know your specific aircraft till after Advanced...unless you go MV-22s or C-130s

SemperGumbi

Just a B guy.
pilot
A little more info. I know the above poster knows it, but the selection choices are Jets (J1 or J2 specifically...but that is just location; Meridian or Kingsville), Rotary (helos), Tilt-rotor (MV-22; you do props in Corpus, then Helos back in Milton/Whiting), or Maritime (C-130's in Corpus). Yes, Tilt is an option and has been for like a year+.

You will leave TBS, if you haven't already, then probably sit and wait for a few weeks/months. Then do API for 10 weeks or so.

Finally, and happily, you will be off to fly the T34 in Whiting or Corpus, or T-6 in Oklahoma. The tweet is no more. And the T-6 looks pretty sweet.

THat will last from about 5 to 7.5 months. 7 is pretty common, but the target is 6. 5 happens, too, but I wouldn't count on it.

SemperGumbi

Just a B guy.
pilot
I couldn't even figure out what was wrong with that. I had to go to the API forum to figure out that it wasn't ten weeks long. The things you don’t remember. Bad gouge from me!

I actually finished it in four weeks on the accelerated program, but I didn’t want to make anyone feel bad.

KnightNArmor

ASO
pilot
For the T-6, I was referring to the pilot types... The Opso at wing was my onwing in primary. He would tell me about how tough the transition for primary to the T-6 was turning out to be.