• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Aircraft Selection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack

Some encouraging news for those of you interested in flying the Super Hornet...

In the last three classes to complete from Meridian there have been three S-3s, roughly 12 Hornets, 4 or 5 Tomcats, and 5 Supers. There were two in the last class of six and three in this class of 8. The guy who got S-3s this time had to scratch and claw to get it. He wanted San Diego for family reasons.

jec

JasonG

Hey Jack, when do you go up for track select? And what are you hopin for if you don't mind me asking.

Warmth in all are hearts for those at 9/11

Jack

As far as the Marines go, the selections have been pretty typical. Hornets and Harriers. There were two Prowlers taken a few months ago and there is not expected to be another for two to three classes. There is a certain 'cut' that the Marine studs have to make as far as their grades go in order to get Harriers. I'm not sure what the number is but if they do not have at least that score they will get Hornets or Prowlers, provided the family truckster is availabe that week.

jec

Jack

I am getting myself pumped up about S-3s, my grades in Intermediate (T-2s) were less than great. I had no downs and was only end of stage marginal in one stage, but I just didnt set any other stages on fire. That is hurting a bit now because even though I have done reasonably well (knock on wood) in Advanced, I haven't blown the other guys in the class out of the water. I did the same thing coming out of Primary - I got myself used to the idea of flying helicopters (not that there is anything wrong or less rewarding with helos) so if selected them I would not be let down or less than excited - on the flip side if I selected jets it would be a bit of a suprise and exciting. Prepare for the 'worst' and hope for the best. I am going to put Supers, Hornets East, Hornets West, Hornets Mirimar, Tomcats, and Prowlers on my wish list in that order. I could put SERGRAD as a choice but I dont want to stick around here any longer than I have to.

jec

Dave Shutter

How long are SERGRAD assignments usually, vain of me to consider myself for one at this point but I'm looking for ways out of that "shooter tour" with that evil year and a half left balance at the end of the contract. Just curious.

Speaking of E/F selections, I was standing door watch at the schoolhouse (BLDG 633) the other week and I recognized a VT-7 emblem on a name tag. A quick interrogation revealed that he was in BOLT-C and selected the Superbug. He said he knew 5 other guys that got it. There are four SQDN's opening up shop for business as E/F units out at Leemore now (VFA's 115, 14, 41 and 211(?))so the numbers of slections are definitely going up. I don't know who's next to transition but I heard that VF-2 (Bounty Hunters) is next on deck after their next deployment. They fly the "D" SuperTomcat and those planes (built in the 90's and in fact newer than some Hornets out there.) will be the very last to go. What few pilots that are future Tomcat selectees will most likely end up in one of those beasts, heard that from a couple of VF-101 FRS guys.

Edited by - Dave Shutter on 04/07/2002 23:09:19

Gabe2surf

So you can go through the RAG at Miramar, but can't stay there to fly in an operational squadron. That's still a pretty cool deal! Off the subject, anybody lived in Lemoore? How far is it from Pismo/San Luis Obispo? Thanks.

Jack

A little more on why one may not want to select SERGRAD after completing advanced.

Like Matt said you are stuck in the middle of the food chain. You are no longer a student - and not yet a seasoned aviator. You often get stuck with crap for collateral duties ( sked writing, coffee mess officer, etc..) The fleet guys don't give you much respect, because you haven't been there or done that and the students don't really know how to treat you. You are limited in the stages you can instruct in. Obviously a recently winged guy is not going to be going out teaching how to bomb, fly tac form, or acm ( some of the more fun stages )... You are going to spend the majority of your time flying BIs, RIs, Fams, and Night Fams.

There is also some bad gouge going around - and this just recently bit some of the SERGRADS here - that if you stay here and put in your time you will get 'hooked up' when it comes time for orders to the RAG. Some of the guys here were under the impression that they were going to be able to write their own tickets to the RAG of their choice. There is nothing that says if you stay on and instruct that you are going to get the money orders.

jec

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
The NSS has to be at least a 188 for either Harriers OR Prowlers. If they do not make this cut then the go to Hornets. Prowlers still command the highest NSS as well as scrutiny when receiving the selection. Frumby

Attack Pilot
Major USMC

aviatorshade

Catfish
pilot
Major Frumby, I have heard of the high cut off NSS for Harriers, but why so high for the Prowler?

Semper Fidelis

Dave Shutter

About the Prowler, Frumby's the man but my class Officer was a Prowler NFO and told us stuff about the Warpig you'd never have thought of. About the high scores needed for the Prowler, three words: High Value Unit. When most 'pointy nose' obsessed people look at it they see a slow, old, un-sexy VW Beetle with wings and an empennage but it has a replacement value of about 100 mil. That sticker price buys you two E/F's with change for gas. Losing one hurts but not as bad as losing the four crewembers, and then there's that whole landing thing. If you're an adrenaline junkie fixed on fighters and get Prowlers don't fret, between the no fly zones and Afghanistan you'll see more heat and AAA going after radar sites in one cruise than most pilots see in a career, and yes, you shoot missles at ground targets. What I'm told anyway. Major Frumby?

Edited by - Dave Shutter on 04/10/2002 01:24:43

Status
Not open for further replies.