• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Aircraft selection

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Where is your war happening....? You can see an SA-2, those aren't scary. SA-XX is scary, and you'll never see those.

AVOID, Minimize, suppress..............defend.

I get your point, but the idea of a missile that size chasing me down is sorta nuts.

But, tbh, if I get shot down by a SA-2 in my helo, it really was just my time to go.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
There's about 100,000 things wrong with that video and I only made it to 2:43. If anything, it's an extreme example of what NOT to do....especially leaving your VOX turned up and making people listen to you breathe.

For several years I've been on the search of a short YT video of Kif doing his grunt/sigh. My Google-fu has been week, but this is yet another example of my want for such a thing.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Please do tell, Mr. JCAS extraordinaire armchair quarterback about worrying over VOX level when DShK or PKM rounds are ripping through friendly lines...
You probably say "cleared hot" too don't you boo?

For real though, that video reminded me of something an API weather instructor might play when explaining why you gotta wear your cover in a Subway parking lot....cuz what are you gonna do when you find yourself "in the shit"?

Only two seat dudes need VOX, and everyone knows THEY aren't real CAS platforms*

*smiles were invoked at the beginning of the post while I was laughing at you. If you're mad, type out your comment and then delete it because you're only gonna look super butt hurt

Last edited:

BigJeffray

Sans Remorse
pilot
There's about 100,000 things wrong with that video and I only made it to 2:43. If anything, it's an extreme example of what NOT to do....especially leaving your VOX turned up and making people listen to you breathe.
I get that the VOX comment is a joke, but I couldn't disagree more that this is an example of what not to do. Is it a good example of doctrinal CAS or how to teach guys to execute on a SFWT hop? Of course not. Was it effective integration of fires in close proximity to friendlies under an extremely stressful situation? Absolutely.

Hotdogs

I don’t care if I hurt your feelings
pilot
You probably say "cleared hot" too don't you boo?

For real though, that video reminded me of something an API weather instructor might play when explaining why you gotta wear your cover in a Subway parking lot....cuz what are you gonna do when you find yourself "in the shit"?

Only two seat dudes need VOX, and everyone knows THEY aren't real CAS platforms*

*smiles were invoked at the beginning of the post while I was laughing at you. If you're mad, type out your comment and then delete it because you're only gonna look super butt hurt

The video wasn't meant to be a graduate level example of modern JCAS TTPs. If you thought that's the point of my previous post, then it went straight over your head. We could shoot holes in the video all day, but the point was that the GFC's end state was met under stressful conditions and the CAS platform involved was shooting 30mm rounds danger close. Those types of stressful situations aren't discussed very often, and often overlooked by individuals looking to do our jobs, which gets back to the point of the original post. If you think that your shit is always going to be wired tight in those scenarios, then you have arrogance or maturity issues. If you have similar experiences of how you knocked it out of the park, then I'm all ears to hear about it. Otherwise, just sit down and just shut the fuck up.

Slingblade

Huge Member
pilot
I heard:
Sit Update "We are East of the Riverbed taking Fire from the West" Friendlies FLOT was marked by Red Smoke. Aircraft was visual Friendlies "Red Smoke"
The way he executed was more Friendly Centric type of CAS Brief as opposed to Target Centric (traditional 9-Line).....very similar in the way we would do a RW 5-Line
Gameplan: 30mm
Restrictions issued. Keep fires West of the Smoke, Gun runs North to South (which happened to be parallel to the FLOT further mitigating potential for fratricide and ricochet fan hazards from the 30mm), Ground Commanders initials passed (meaning that he was willing to accept the possible risk of fratricide, due to the intense amount of fire friendlies were receiving posing a greater risk to friendlies if they did not get aviation fires on the enemy). Aircraft read back the restrictions.
Talk-on and Correlation completed multiple times during multiple engagements.
JTAC was assessing FW nose geometry and calling visual before issuing clearance.
Effects were assessed and re-attacks conducted as necessary to achieve GC's intent.

There was definitely enough information passed on both the part of the JTAC and aircrew to make things happen given the situation.

Last edited:

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
The video wasn't meant to be a graduate level example of modern JCAS TTPs. If you thought that's the point of my previous post, then it went straight over your head. We could shoot holes in the video all day, but the point was that the GFC's end state was met under stressful conditions and the CAS platform involved was shooting 30mm rounds danger close. Those types of stressful situations aren't discussed very often, and often overlooked by individuals looking to do our jobs, which gets back to the point of the original post. If you think that your shit is always going to be wired tight in those scenarios, then you have arrogance or maturity issues. If you have similar experiences of how you knocked it out of the park, then I'm all ears to hear about it. Otherwise, just sit down and just shut the fuck up.
Haha, I think the video was dumb....you can agree or disagree but telling me to shut the fuck up because you disagree makes you look like an idiot (you know, maturity issues).

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Haha, I think the video was dumb....you can agree or disagree but telling me to shut the fuck up because you disagree makes you look like an idiot (you know, maturity issues).
You said it’s an “extreme example of what NOT to do.” Explain yourself. Or tell us some of the “100,000 things wrong with it”. Maybe 999,999 since you mentioned vox.

If you can’t support your claim then you should take hotdogs advice.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
You guys are always so hostile. I doubt I'll watch the video again just to get into a pissing contest with you over stupid shit. I don't agree with everything you do, but your "put up or shut up" act is boring and I'm tired of seeing it over and over again. If I want to talk tactics, I can do it at my squadron...I don't need to argue with you here.

Why don't you and hotdogs both talk about it and let me know what you end up finding out.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
You guys are always so hostile. I doubt I'll watch the video again just to get into a pissing contest with you over stupid shit. I don't agree with everything you do, but your "put up or shut up" act is boring and I'm tired of seeing it over and over again. If I want to talk tactics, I can do it at my squadron...I don't need to argue with you here.

Why don't you and hotdogs both talk about it and let me know what you end up finding out.
You certainly seemed to want to talk tactics when you made some sweeping dumbass statements about the video. Then you got called out, and now you’re above it all so no need to defend your indefensible post. Good job.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
You certainly seemed to want to talk tactics when you made some sweeping dumbass statements about the video. Then you got called out, and now you’re above it all so no need to defend your indefensible post. Good job.
? Called out? What are you, three?
Sorry I don't like your video bro...move on man.

Wanted to restart this thread - any gouge on platform selection trends out of primary? I am sure that COVID has made things interesting.