• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Air Support Operations Operators

JimmyK

Ok, I know this site focuses a lot on Pilots and NFO's and all the other officer jobs in the aviation side of the Corps so my question may seem a little out of place. In July I enlisted in the Marine Corps Delayed Entry Program. My recruiter was able to secure me a Aviation Maintainance contract which was all fine and dandy at the time. Over the last few months though I realized how much I didnt want to sit in a hangar all day. I talked to my recruiter about this last week and we were able to put my name in for an Aviation Operations contract. As of right now I dont know when or even if I will get this contract but, since I dont leave for boot camp until June Im hopping that time will be on my side. Anyways, one of the jobs in this filed is MOS 7242 Air Support Operations Operator and from what I've read about it, it sounds like something that I may wish to pursue, providing I can get the contract. I'm wondering what anyone knows about this job. Anyone on here currently or ever been a 7242? Anyone know a 7242 who would be willing to talk to me and answer all of my dumb question? Thanks in advance.

Crowbar

None
I'll try to field this one even though it may not be the best answer ever.

Maintainers do not "sit in a hangar all day". Here's a quote from something I posted a long time ago about the diverse jobs you can get with a maintenance contract:
Even with an assigned OccField, the subsequent MOS's can vary so that the working environment and hours of one MOS may not resemble any others within that field. For instance, let's take avionics (my field). Within the Avionics OccField, there are an abundance of individual MOS's. "I-level" MOS's (64XX series) generally work from 7am-4pm (roughly) Monday-Friday, unless there is a large-scale exercise or deployment (more on that later). They work inside most of the time, and do not do as many deployments. "O-level" MOS's (63XX series) work anywhere from 8-16 hours days, 5-7 days per week. They work outside all the time, get dirty every day, and deploy more often. Much more often. Even within the same MOS, from duty station to duty station, conditions vary. Someone assigned to or supporting a training squadron will not face as many deployments as someone assigned to or supporting an operational squadron.

Same goes with pretty much any aviation maintenance MOS. You may get a 'cushy' job that doesn't require much time outside. You may get a different job that doesn't allow much time inside. Unless you enlist for a specific maintenance MOS you won't know until you're at MCT (is that still when they assign MOSs?) what you'll get. And even then, the people at MCT probably won't be able to tell you what a 6060 (or any other aviation MOS) is or does.

On to 7242. I was never one of these but I have a good friend who is a 7208 who told me a little about what the Marines do. This is the part I may screw up but I'm going to try anyway. Working in air support, you will probably be assigned to a DASC (direct air support center). It's kind of like a tactical air control center. No positive radar control, though, everything's done with maps, grease pencils, and position reports. Lots of sitting in the DASC (which is usually in an enclosed box due to all the high priced equipment and high security required to support what it does), talking on the radio, plotting on maps, processing air support requests, and the like. To me it actually sounded interesting but I love technical jobs like that. They do spend time in the field but I don't know how much.

From the MOS Manual:
5. MOS 7242, Air Support Operations Operator (MGySgt to Pvt)
a. Summary. Air support operations operators perform duties incidental to the operation of tactical air support systems, operating various electronics equipment in a clear and electronics countermeasures environment, performing liaison necessary to ensure effective air support operations, and supervising and participating in preparation, movement, and emplacement of air support equipment.

From what I know about maintenance and what I've heard about air support, it sounds like you stand to spend a lot of time sitting inside as a 7242. Of course, if you get an I-level MOS the same thing applies. So, take what I just said, think about it, and try to figure out what's best for you. Good luck.

USMCRugger

I was with Marine Air Support Squadron 6 (reserve MASS) and just about all the Marines were 7242, 7208, and 7202. They can also set up an Aerial DASC in a C-130. One of my friends is a 7242 and recievd an air medal for his work in the ADASC while in Iraq. You mentiond something about an "Aviation Operations contract," Do you mean 7041 Aviation Operations? If so I'm a Sgt in the 7041 field...ask away!

JimmyK

USMCBill said:
I was with Marine Air Support Squadron 6 (reserve MASS) and just about all the Marines were 7242, 7208, and 7202. They can also set up an Aerial DASC in a C-130. One of my friends is a 7242 and recievd an air medal for his work in the ADASC while in Iraq. You mentiond something about an "Aviation Operations contract," Do you mean 7041 Aviation Operations? If so I'm a Sgt in the 7041 field...ask away!

No Im talking about the 'AJ' Aviation Operations job contract. The MOS's available with this contract are:
3821 Weather Observer
7234 Air Control Electronics Operator
7242 Air Support Operations Operator
7257 Air Traffic Controler
7314 UAV Operator

All of those job I know I would be happy doing for 5 years, maybe more, thats why Im really hopping I can change to this contract. Thanks for the info you guys provided.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
7257 Air Traffic Controler

If you get out of the Marines after your time is up, this almost guarantees you a great paying job with the FAA in the civilian world.

It's also a pretty intense and rewarding job. Have to be smart, be able to see the big picture and think quickly. No room for error - Marine pilot and NFO lives depend on you getting it right the first time. If I was going to be a ground pounder, this is where I would go.

UAV Operator would be fun, but it's just not the same as flying the real aircraft. I've watched the Nellis / Indian Springs AIr Force guys do this a few times.