• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Air Slots

A.Kuettel

Anybody heard anything lately on whether the availability of air slots has increased for this summer or next year??

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
late last year I heard the air contracts had decreased... but I've heard gouge here on the forum to the effect of: that was just bad gouge, and there'll still be plenty of spots open.

Lawman

None
Coming back from OCS last summer there was a drop in the number of available slots for the next two fiscal years (As reported by my OSO). However just about 2 weeks ago he dropped us all an email saying they set the numbers back to what they had been and so the competition for Air isnt gonna be nearly as cutthroat as he was worried about.

Live by the gouge, die by the gouge...

Kickflip89

Below Ladder
None
Contributor
My philosophy is that I am prepared to wait at least until March before finding out if I am pro-rec'd. LOVE THE WAIT, I just spent an intense and stressful month putting together my package (while going through finals last semester). Now I get to focus on school, some exciting research at work, and my girlfriend -- THIS IS THE GOOD LIFE.

If I don't get selected...then time to re-apply, which probably won't be as stressful as the first go-around :). As far as expectations -- I think I deserve a pro-rec for either SNA or SNFO (or else I would have not applied), but I am not expecting one this for this app. My theory is if the board doesn't think I am qualified at first, that's fine. They'll eventually figure out that selecting me is best for all involved, even if I have to annoy them with a stream of improving applications before they do. ;)

Anyway, HW is now done and I get to sleep instead of lurk on AW. Yay. And best of luck to everyone applying.

S3b_viking

USNA dropped from 274 pilots last year and 281 the year before to just 250 this year. They wanted more people to look into Subs and SWO so they cut the numbers here and the gouge is that the order came from ADM Mullin who was tired of having below number of applicants for Subs and SWO. People this year were practically drafted for subs if they were an engineering major with above a 3.8 GPA. Thats at least what's happening by the bay. Best of luck to everyone

ArkhamAsylum

500+ Posts
pilot
I think I deserve a pro-rec for either SNA or SNFO... They'll eventually figure out that selecting me is best for all involved.

So the Navy/Marine Corps OWES you something? It's "in their own interest" to give you the pilot slot you "deserve?"

I'd advise you to can that attitude before you enter training, because that won't get you very far at all. IF you get the slot you want, it's because someone decided that you were the best candidate for that position, not because you "deserved" it.

Rossi

So the Navy/Marine Corps OWES you something? It's "in their own interest" to give you the pilot slot you "deserve?"

I'd advise you to can that attitude before you enter training, because that won't get you very far at all. IF you get the slot you want, it's because someone decided that you were the best candidate for that position, not because you "deserved" it.

Someone needs to take a nap.

ArkhamAsylum

500+ Posts
pilot
I'm tired of hearing guys who haven't even gone to OCS yet talk like the government owes them a pat on the back for wanting to be a pilot. They need to know that they will not always get their way, and they won't make a career of string-pulling and drug deals. Though almost everyone sees himself as a special case, HQMC does not see it that way, and will not give special treatment with any amount of convincing or pleading.

Rossi

I'm tired of hearing guys who haven't even gone to OCS yet talk like the government owes them a pat on the back for wanting to be a pilot. They need to know that they will not always get their way, and they won't make a career of string-pulling and drug deals. Though almost everyone sees himself as a special case, HQMC does not see it that way, and will not give special treatment with any amount of convincing or pleading.

I think you misunderstood kickflips post. He was talking about his wait to find out the decision of the board, and HIS expectations, on his chances of getting selected.
"As far as expectations -- I think I deserve a pro-rec for either SNA or SNFO (or else I would have not applied), but I am not expecting one this for this app."
He was not saying that the government owed him anything, or that he deserved special treatment. In fact, it was more the opposite, as he stated that he did not expect to be selected the first time around. He also talked about how if he didnt get selected that was fine, and he would keep trying, and impoving himself.
"My theory is if the board doesn't think I am qualified at first, that's fine. They'll eventually figure out that selecting me is best for all involved, even if I have to annoy them with a stream of improving applications before they do."
I don't know about you, but i hardly think a will to improve oneself and persistence in the application process is pulling strings to get what one wants.

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
First of all you should learn to read. He was talking about his wait to find out the decision of the board, and HIS expectations, on his chances of getting selected.
"As far as expectations -- I think I deserve a pro-rec for either SNA or SNFO (or else I would have not applied), but I am not expecting one this for this app."
He was not saying that the government owed him anything, or that he deserved special treatment. In fact, it was more the opposite, as he stated that he did not expect to be selected the first time around. He also talked about how if he didnt get selected that was fine, and he would keep trying, and impoving himself.
"My theory is if the board doesn't think I am qualified at first, that's fine. They'll eventually figure out that selecting me is best for all involved, even if I have to annoy them with a stream of improving applications before they do."
I don't know about you, but i hardly think a will to improve oneself and persistence in the application process is pulling strings to get what one wants.

You really need to lighten the fuck up. Seriously, go take a nap.

Easy there pal, keep it professional eh? Arkham has a good point, its up to the board to figure out if he's the best qualified applicant... regardless of his personal opinion of the matter. So his personal opinion is that he deserves a contract... I'm all for improving oneself, but AAs assertion that you should realize that its up to them to ascertain whether he is "deserving" is important. If he already has that mindset then thats great (he may since he doesn't seem think he'll be selected right off) .... just keepin 'it real.

Rossi

Easy there pal, keep it professional eh? Arkham has a good point, its up to the board to figure out if he's the best qualified applicant... regardless of his personal opinion of the matter. So his personal opinion is that he deserves a contract... I'm all for improving oneself, but AAs assertion that you should realize that its up to them to ascertain whether he is "deserving" is important. If he already has that mindset then thats great (he may since he doesn't seem think he'll be selected right off) .... just keepin 'it real.

Didn't mean to sound so harsh. Excuse me for swearing. Just thought it was kinda strange how he lashed at him considering kickflip didnt say anything to make himself look like a government teet sucking wannabee.

Kickflip89

Below Ladder
None
Contributor
Ok, perhaps deserve was the wrong word to use. Clarification for the sake of happiness:

I want to be selected, I believe I can convince the board to select me, but understand that I might not. I am a hard worker and I believe I can earn a spot in OCS, and that I can at least give the Navy my best efforts. Whether or not that is good enough for OCS / API / Flight School etc. remains to be seen.

What I was trying to say is I would not have applied if I didn't think I could be successful. I once wasn't sure if I would be successful as a physics major so I taught myself Calculus to see if I could handle the workload--I do try to be objective about things like this, but understand sometimes you're just not cut out for it.

Obviously the Navy doesn't owe me anything, I just think I can convince them that me being in the Navy is good for me, and good for the Navy. This is my attitude, if it needs adjusting, then I will adjust it when I'm convinced it's a bad one. Sorry for any confusion.