• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Air Sick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ed Williams

Need a bit of help. I am in primary and am yaking my way through the first few fams. Fam 1 took me 2 tries and i incompleted fam 2 today. I went to the flight docs and they gave me some meds, but they didn't work so well for me, they just tasted bad on the way up. Any suggestions?
ed

beau

Well on the Civiy side........This seems to work for me. If you start pulling G's(Steep turns or whatever) try holding your breath and forceing blood to your brain and heres the kicker; do not turn rotate your grape(head) too quickly while turning to look out the canopy this will screw with the fluids in your ear and you'll barf in no time. If you do spins well......I dont know....I always felt sick after those but not to bad. Another very important thing for me any way was to have eaten something before flying and be hydrated. Dont bury your eyes in the cockpit...especially if its turblent(except that 40 hours under the hood for Instrument)........and finally.....fresh air pumping through the cockpit at all times. Of course I dont have to fly with all that gear plus a helmet but try it.

Finch

GO SOONERS!!!

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Don't worry Ed,
I puked my first four Fams until I realized that most of it was just nerves. I had a Doc tell me to eat a donut or sticky bun prior to flying. Stop seeing the Doc until this is a "chronic" problem. If you can puke and can continue, don't worry about it but if you become a bowl of jello and can't continue then see a Doc. I do not like the Meds that Doc's are giving now. SNA's seem to turn catatonic after taking the damn things. They used to issue the patches which worked a heck of a lot better. Unfortunately, they don't anymore. Give your self a chance to get used to flying. There is a lot of stress your body is going through as it adjusts to a cockpit enviroment. Suck down a fat pill before going flying and try to relax. Keep the eyeball vents pointed at you and the great T-34 AC as cold as possible. Semper Fly! Frumby

Attack Pilot
Major USMC

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Eddie,
So now what's up man? I've heard just a little from Matt. Keep us posted. -Kevin

Ed Williams

Right now i am working on some stress relief/muscle relaxing things. THe flight doc's thought that may be a step in the right direction. I think i'm stress free and pretty laid back, but who knows. I have a relaxation class tomorrow. WHo knows. Hopefully i'll get up again on friday.
ed

cooley4277

Ed, you're going in the right direction. A lot of people think that seeing the flight docs is bad, but do what you have to do. I got sick a lot in the beginning of primary and held it in, and some problems came from that. Try some things. If that doesn't work, try something else, eventually, you'll get over it. I'm in T-44 advanced and I get sick every once in a while in the back, so take that for what it's worth

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Ed, definitely sounds like you are doing the right things. Each person has their own tricks to counter air sickness, and they figure out the things that set it off. For me, it has always been overheating in a hot airplane and getting bounced around that makes me start to feal naseous, those two in combination get me. But it seems the more that I have flown, the more acclimitized I have gotten, the last time I got sick was in the FRS at 300' under a cloud layer/storm while chasing a simulated submarine contact off the coast of Abacos, Bahamas. Damn, I didn't hear the end of it, the flight station always makes fun of the tube rats when they get sick, but when a Pilot gets sick, dude, they hit back with a VENGEANCE! lol

Anyways, best of luck with everything.

quote:
I'm in T-44 advanced and I get sick every once in a while in the back, so take that for what it's worth

Cooley, do they still throw people in the back of the T44 for VNAVs to get them cured of airsickness? Nothing like bouncing over hot south texas in a T44 to make you airsick, or cure you of it....

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Sounds like our home remedy in T-45's, throw a chronic puker into the back during a TACFORM or Gun hop (ACM is too smooth) until he becomes G tolerant. Frumby

Attack Pilot
Major USMC

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ed-
How'd the flight go? Did you use a bag? I'm going to sickcall tomorrow... still feeling a bit woosy and I have some pressure in the back of my head. Anyone know what that's from? I got it last night on the way home from 2 BI flights.

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
The pressure is probably a bruise from the IP's kneeboard careening off the back of your brain housing group. JK. No idea on that symptom. I would probably see the flight doc for that one. Frumby

Attack Pilot
Major USMC

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ok, Doc said something like Scopa syndrome. I don't know exactly what that is, but it's not that rare. Doc's orders: drink plenty of water, eat, and take a day off. Amazingly, it worked. I was back in the air after a day and was doing just fine. Nice comment though Major. I appreciate it. Fortunately the BI flights were pretty smooth.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ok, Doc said something like Scopa syndrome. I don't know exactly what that is, but it's not that rare. Doc's orders: drink plenty of water, eat, and take a day off. Amazingly, it worked. I was back in the air after a day and was doing just fine. Nice comment though Major. I appreciate it. Fortunately the BI flights were pretty smooth.

Ed Williams

WEll, i just got back from a lovely visit to Vance AFB (what a treat). I didn't do so well in the rotational chair trainer. Guess i have to se what is next.
ed

Status
Not open for further replies.