• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Air Force v.s. Navy Culture Differences

FLGUY

“Technique only”
pilot
Contributor
Completing the pre-coourse study for Advanced Instrument School this coming week (in OK City) - and one of the interesting points is contrasting IFR filing regs in AF vs Navy - cofified in AFMAN 11-202V3 and OPNAV 3710.7... the figures are attached for your enjoyment and comparison.

From OPNAV 3710.7:

View attachment 36965

and its compative table in AFMAN 11-202V3

View attachment 36966

and this does not include additional AF guidance at MAJCOM level, unit and type level ....

The USAF model seems unnecessarily complex. Very much a “micromanagement” kind of feeling. Do those of you in the USAF feel this way or no?

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
The USAF model seems unnecessarily complex. Very much a “micromanagement” kind of feeling. Do those of you in the USAF feel this way or no?
To the point made by @insanebikerboy the directive operational guidance in the AF gets more specific by MAJCOM, type, number of engines, etc. (e.g. PWC single seat mins are a whole different calculus).

That being said, looking at a number of Air Carrier (121) Ops Specs and FOM's - you see a clear connection to AF style guidance and regulation. Naval Aviation is the outlier here - I do not think Navy/Marine Squadron SOP gets more directive like this. But its clear evidence of the culture divide in flying. I'm looking forward to getting a deep dive the next two weeks in OK City!

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
My Part 135 IFR filing decision tree isn't quite as complex as that, but close. We do have the added complication of having to factor in off-airport landing minimums. I keep a laminated copy on my kneeboard and we're strongly encouraged to bring the matrix to our checkride brief. I'd say a third of the oral is just going down the matrix, with the other 2/3s being airspace and GOM/Systems stuff.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
I'm looking forward to getting a deep dive the next two weeks in OK City!

The word I've heard is that it's a great course, especially if you can keep the big picture in mind.

As a bummer note- I too was going to be in the 6Dec AIS class, but a couple of our pilots got sick so I have to stay home to fill out the flight schedule. Would have been cool to meet an AW in the wild.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Completing the pre-coourse study for Advanced Instrument School this coming week (in OK City) - and one of the interesting points is contrasting IFR filing regs in AF vs Navy - cofified in AFMAN 11-202V3 and OPNAV 3710.7... the figures are attached for your enjoyment and comparison.

From OPNAV 3710.7:

View attachment 36965

and its compative table in AFMAN 11-202V3

View attachment 36966

and this does not include additional AF guidance at MAJCOM level, unit and type level ....
Negative rep as I had a stroke trying to read this

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot

In my experience, USAF guys tend to get much more wrapped around the axle with respect to minutiae in regulations and SOP, and may be more risk-averse than their USN and (especially) USMC counterparts. The flip side of that is having a USAF guy on your team can sometimes keep the team from going off the reservation.

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
On the ground at AIS. @mad dog would be pleased since Dunkin is on tap here (with issued coffee mug)View attachment 36988

Dude…you already graduated???

The mug says “graduate” which I believe is the noun and not the verb...and you just got there yesterday…so…the almighty “reasonable man theory” says you have NOT graduated yet.

Stolen valor!!!

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Dude…you already graduated???

The mug says “graduate” which I believe is the noun and not the verb...and you just got there yesterday…so…the almighty “reasonable man theory” says you have NOT graduated yet.

Stolen valor!!!
Beat me to it! They need to issue you a student cup!

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Beat me to it! They need to issue you a student cup!
I am not the oldest student in the class (shocker!). A DAF civilian (GS) IP in the E-3 AWACS is a year older than me!

Interesting mix of aircraft types represented. One Marine C130 dude in my class as well. A few V-22 and helo dudes as well.

PXL_20221206_185914212.jpg