• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Air Force v.s. Navy Culture Differences

HuggyU2

None
Yuck it up, boys!

Yes, we know how much you hate the AF's culture. My question: why are y'all so obsessed with hating it?

And do you know how much time we spend in our squadron discussing Navy/Marine culture? Zilch. Zero. We just don't care. We think your culture is pretty cool, albeit different... we think y'all do some stuff that is weird, like getting naked on the carrier deck in the equator, rubbing all sorts of stuff on some guy's belly and all of that. But we realize it's not really a homo-erotic adventure fo y'all. Well... pretty sure. Anyways, we get a short laugh about stuff like that, and go ask our Navy/Marine IST to explain it in further detail. Frankly, we respect your traditions... even if we find them "different". And yes, I've spent a fair amount of time in and around Navy/Marine ready rooms over the past few decades.

But back to the callsign issue: your perspective is far different than mine, and it appears your knowledge of AF callsign culture is limited. But yes... go ahead and tell me all about it!

signed,

Huggy
(like the bear... not the diaper. The diaper is spelled "Huggie", so get it right, please)

p.s. I tried to get "Huggy" changed to "Maverick". No luck. Apparently, it's reserved.

Last edited:

RoarkJr.

As the nerdy USNTPS grad, I'm still wondering why TOPGUN-style debriefs are always done in future tense, after the flight has already happened.

e.g. "Stop tape, time XYZ, Rage 12 timeout, track 8. Will that shot guide and fuze?"
"It will not guide due to probability of weapons effectiveness"

I just figured it was one of those "when in Rome" things, and went along with it.
Seems like all of my debriefs so far in advanced are a mix of present and future tense. A buddy told me it’s probably just easier to walk through that way, which sounds reasonable, but it struck me as odd initially.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
rant rant rant
I spent a good portion of my fleet tour doing Nellis things in VAQ and a good portion of my reserve career in joint land. I've had great AF bosses and co-workers. No one hates anything . . . it's all in good fun. Relax. Breathe. Point at something with your elbow. :D

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yes, we know how much you hate the AF's culture. My question: why are y'all so obsessed with hating it? And do you know how much time we spend in our squadron discussing Navy/Marine culture? Zilch. Zero. We just don't care.

We frankly don't care too much either, but an easy target coupled with boredom and the internets can make for some obligatory piñata beating once in a while. At least you're always here to remind us of this supposed obsession whenever it comes up.

But back to the callsign issue: your perspective is far different than mine, and it appears your knowledge of AF callsign culture is limited. But yes... go ahead and tell me all about it!

Okay, sure.

HuggyU2

None
I spent a good portion of my fleet tour doing Nellis things in VAQ and a good portion of my reserve career in joint land. I've had great AF bosses and co-workers. No one hates anything . . . it's all in good fun. Relax. Breathe. Point at something with your elbow. :D
Haha!. Yes, I do point with my elbow... but only at the Crud Table. Which I "own"... both literally and figuratively.

I'm good... I just need to keep y'all in check. And yes... it is all in fun.

The majority of the people I socialize with outside of work are former Navy/Marine pilots that came to the U-2. Y'all are a great group.
Weird... but a great group.

See you at Tailhook 2023.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Haha!. Yes, I do point with my elbow... but only at the Crud Table. Which I "own"... both literally and figuratively.

I'm good... I just need to keep y'all in check. And yes... it is all in fun.

The majority of the people I socialize with outside of work are former Navy/Marine pilots that came to the U-2. Y'all are a great group.
Weird... but a great group.

See you at Tailhook 2023.
You gotta love a convention where a grown man can approach another grown man and say something like “Huggy is that you?”

…And not get his ass kicked.

:D

Ralph

After reading baseops you’ll want nothing to do with the Air Force. Those peeps come off as some of the most miserable people in the military. I can count on one hand who would recommend going AF on that forum and two who would recommend active duty and they are both U2 pilots. Biggest issue with the Navy is the bases are limited especially if you go fighters.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
After reading baseops you’ll want nothing to do with the Air Force. Those peeps come off as some of the most miserable people in the military. I can count on one hand who would recommend going AF on that forum and two who would recommend active duty and they are both U2 pilots. Biggest issue with the Navy is the bases are limited especially if you go fighters.

You have to take that with a grain of salt as well, there is quite a bit of self-selection on a site like that and folks who are miserable are going to be attracted and more apt to post if that who is dominant on a site like that. We can speak from experience here. It's the internets, not real life.

Plenty of the USAF folks I've served with have enjoyed their careers just as much or more than their Navy counterparts, as with most things it is what you make of it.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Biggest issue with the Navy is the bases are limited especially if you go fighters.
you-sure-really.gif

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again

Are you even in the navy yet?