• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Air Force to Navy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

60flyer

Now a C-12 pilot
pilot
Contributor
First, I don't know what kind of mistake you made to not make it through IFS. I have a hard time believing it was just one flight.

I can fly "Fair" enough to pass the program which is actually what I was told.And with a PPL I'm sure it would be excellent across the board.

Second.... you can't make it through IFS, so your plan is to get training prior to going through flight school so you're repeating it? What happens when you get to the point where you're flying a jet or helo or doing something like aerobatics that you've never done before? Getting a PPL doesn't guarantee anything. Civilian and military training are completely different beasts. In the civilian world your instructor is nice and patient and will work with you over and over on things you're having trouble with (you're paying for it...why not). In the military you have a 2 hour time block where certain things need to be accomplished. There's no hand holding and no "oh shucks, it's ok, we'll just practice engine failures for the next hour so you get them down".

I think you need to take a hard look at yourself. Military flying isn't for everyone. If you can't adapt and learn quickly - you'll fail. Some even make it all the way to the fleet squadron to the point where they're trying to become an aircraft commander...and when they can't make good decisions...that's where they wash out.

DavisFlight

First, I don't know what kind of mistake you made to not make it through IFS. I have a hard time believing it was just one flight.

Second.... you can't make it through IFS, so your plan is to get training prior to going through flight school so you're repeating it? What happens when you get to the point where you're flying a jet or helo or doing something like aerobatics that you've never done before? Getting a PPL doesn't guarantee anything. Civilian and military training are completely different beasts. In the civilian world your instructor is nice and patient and will work with you over and over on things you're having trouble with (you're paying for it...why not). In the military you have a 2 hour time block where certain things need to be accomplished. There's no hand holding and no "oh shucks, it's ok, we'll just practice engine failures for the next hour so you get them down".

I think you need to take a hard look at yourself. Military flying isn't for everyone. If you can't adapt and learn quickly - you'll fail. Some even make it all the way to the fleet squadron to the point where they're trying to become an aircraft commander...and when they can't make good decisions...that's where they wash out.

Definetely understand where your coming from. In the whole scheme of things I hooked 2 rides before my final because I was inconsistent then went to my final flight with a pretty good feeling that I would do fine. This is actually what I was told by my previous IP. To give you a little background on my experience in the program I actually learned and adapted to maneuvers and information well. 100% academic average and passed on all maneuvers. However, landing was what I washed out for and that actually was good going on my last ride. But as I said before, I took the ride after a serious of bad events under bad circumstances and shouldn't have. Obviously it's one of those "If I had it to do again" stories but i wouldn't place the washout on my inability to adapt quickly entirely. I do believe that made it harder because I was adapting to military style of flying while learning to fly in a high pace program.
From my experience of the program and others opinion it is alot easier to adapt and learn the military way of flying and the maneuvers they want you to learn when you aren't worrying about simple things such as why is the aircraft deviating 100 ft while I'm doing a turn around a point.
I believe with the experience I would definetely have passed the program and not been in the situation in the first place. However, I understand and agree with you. However, I wouldn't say I was unable to adapt and learn quickly. Just inconsistent.
As I said before A lot of individuals with a PPL or better said the program was easy and actually thought it was something they should have been allowed to skip. I definetely see how that would be true.
However, once I've checked my options and exhausted all of them then I will take that look in the mirror and decide it's time to give up. But it's definetely not my first reaction. And I dont mean to give you excuses which is why I hate to explain the situation. I'll take my shot at it once again (if I'm able) and see where that round lands.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
The Navy is cutting back on aviators right now, at least at the API stage. They are cutting dudes who passed IFS and finished API with a ~~93% average or so. Don't know if this would affect your chances at a recruiter, since current manning requirements =/= recruiting quota requirements all the time, but it is another potential factor that can hurt you.

I know it's not what you want to hear, but I would say you should stay in the AF and do something else man. You can always get a PPL and still get your kicks flying.

ryan1234

However, landing was what I washed out for and that actually was good going on my last ride. But as I said before, I took the ride after a serious of bad events under bad circumstances and shouldn't have.

Just trying to understand the dynamics of the program ('cause I'm headed that way shortly)....

You washed out for not being able to land the Diamond in a crosswind well? Or was it some sort of decision making issue?

Was it just a bad landing or something unsafe?

DavisFlight

Just trying to understand the dynamics of the program ('cause I'm headed that way shortly)....

You washed out for not being able to land the Diamond in a crosswind well? Or was it some sort of decision making issue?

Was it just a bad landing or something unsafe?

Washed out because my landing was considered unsafe, yes. A bad landing is basically an unsafe one. Atleast thats what they will call a bad landing there. The crosswind was just my discription of the situation in the last Flight.
Just a side note, take a look at the posts above I believe the Navy version is a bit different. A heads up before you go.

60flyer

Now a C-12 pilot
pilot
Contributor
Definetely understand where your coming from. In the whole scheme of things I hooked 2 rides before my final because I was inconsistent then went to my final flight with a pretty good feeling that I would do fine. This is actually what I was told by my previous IP. To give you a little background on my experience in the program I actually learned and adapted to maneuvers and information well. 100% academic average and passed on all maneuvers. However, landing was what I washed out for and that actually was good going on my last ride. But as I said before, I took the ride after a serious of bad events under bad circumstances and shouldn't have. Obviously it's one of those "If I had it to do again" stories but i wouldn't place the washout on my inability to adapt quickly entirely. I do believe that made it harder because I was adapting to military style of flying while learning to fly in a high pace program.
From my experience of the program and others opinion it is alot easier to adapt and learn the military way of flying and the maneuvers they want you to learn when you aren't worrying about simple things such as why is the aircraft deviating 100 ft while I'm doing a turn around a point.
I believe with the experience I would definetely have passed the program and not been in the situation in the first place. However, I understand and agree with you. However, I wouldn't say I was unable to adapt and learn quickly. Just inconsistent.
As I said before A lot of individuals with a PPL or better said the program was easy and actually thought it was something they should have been allowed to skip. I definetely see how that would be true.
However, once I've checked my options and exhausted all of them then I will take that look in the mirror and decide it's time to give up. But it's definetely not my first reaction. And I dont mean to give you excuses which is why I hate to explain the situation. I'll take my shot at it once again (if I'm able) and see where that round lands.

I appreciate your attitude, I really do.

But you don't land a plane unsafely because you're having a bad day. Yes, you'll have bad landings, hard landings, ones you say "oh shit"....but they're not unsafe. Unsafe is a bad bad thing and something that comes from a lack of skill - not a bad day. The reason you're not consistent isn't because you have bad days. You're not consistent because you have good days/luck. I've personally experienced things where the maneuver went perfectly and you're not quite sure what the hell you did....and you can't repeat it..but that day it was great. But that doesn't mean I was proficient - just lucky.

It seems to me you're probably a book guy. That's how you got your spot - you have the grades and background to prove you're intelligent. But that doesn't always transfer to the monkey skills. And honestly....during primary you're pumped through as fast as you can go. 2 instrument sims a days. 2 aerobatic flights a day (one "check ride", one solo). You really need to pick up the stick and rudder skills quickly.

If I were you I'd go into something that requires your obvious brain power, and fly on your own time for fun.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
OK, go talk to a recruiter and see what he has to say. Until then, this is just going to turn into a dogpile. Once you get a final answer, post your results in a new thread. Locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.