• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Air Force Major with Nads...

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Wow... wasn't said incident only like 2 or 3 years ago?
Not really too surprised ... I've seen some of these "users" and guys who sharpshoot the system in my airline career ... and guess what???

They are crappy airline pilots, to boot ... :) .... completely out for themselves. Not guys you would want to "go downtown" with ... literally or figuratively.

I LOVE to fly with them ... it's a religious experience for them.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Wow...

wasn't said incident only like 2 or 3 years ago?
Stud-o-rama came into the Navy via OCS, having already had 2000+ hours or so flying, some of it commercial if I recall correctly. He viewed the Navy as a quick ticket to the airlines, not really as a service opportunity. He didn't attrite, but rather DOR'd sometime in the middle of instruments, I think. Greg, you want to chime in here?

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
This whole thing is a prime example of how not to use government email, a pox on all their houses. Number one why does a Major in an operational command have the time or patience to compose that diatribe a simple "no we are busy defending democracy" would have sufficed. If he felt that strongly about it make a call to someone he knew at USAFA.

This email was not intended for public consumption and is probably making mountains out of mole hills but there are many things to be learned from it.

Never get into a pissing contest in email. There are things people will type that they wont say on a phone or to your face. If you have a disagreement with someone or their email (this happens to me often) pick up and go see them in person, if you are the senior one, have them come see you in person. If this is not possible pick up the phone, not there wait. You cant win an email pissing contest, and you have no idea who is either BCC or forwarded your messages.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Stud-o-rama came into the Navy via OCS, having already had 2000+ hours or so flying, some of it commercial if I recall correctly. He viewed the Navy as a quick ticket to the airlines, not really as a service opportunity. He didn't attrite, but rather DOR'd sometime in the middle of instruments, I think. Greg, you want to chime in here?

Here is a question for the airline types, why would they want a guy that attrited for any reason flying their plane. God forbid there is a mishap the first thing the press will print is "flunked out of Naval Aviation training" and there goes not only ticket sales but the publics confidence in said airlines pilots.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Stud-o-rama .....viewed the Navy as a quick ticket to the airlines.... didn't attrite, but rather DOR'd sometime in the middle of instruments...
You know ... that REALLY pisses me off.

If it had been known in ADVANCE ... he probably would not have gotten hired. Believe it ... I used to interview/hire for two airlines and a "user" would not have made the cut ...

But still ... most Chief Pilots don't want guys like this on the payroll. Unless his Daddy is CEO (or the Chief Pilot) ... you can still reach out and touch him ... especially if he DOR'd ... wanna bet there's some fraudulent information in his application ???? :)

Someone "responsible" ... maybe at CNATRA??? ... call the Chief Pilot's office and clue them in .... especially if the little a-hole is still on probation. ;)

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Yeah... that was my first demonstration of the power of ostracizing. After word of the email made the rounds, it was pretty much over.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Does the kid need to route a special request chit to drop deuce? If a mid in his situation approached a Navy squadron in that manner, nobody would think anything of it. If he's physiologically qualified and polite in his request, then I don't see what all the fuss is about. To lash out at him like that is unprofessional and just plain stupid.

Brett

Concur. I whored myself for a ride w/ the Coast Guard (as it turns out on Christmas eve) just by being in the barber shop at the same time as the scheduler (and no, I didn't know it ahead of time, just ended up talking to him). It was no big deal and he made a midshipman's day.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
From what I gather, the Cadet kept bugging the schedulers after being told no. The Major than put it into works the Cadet could understand.

Subject: RE: Cadet request for F-15 ride
Here's the guy who keeps calling up and bugging the scheduling shop
about getting a flight.

If it had been a one time request or if the Cadet had accepted the no answer, then I think the Major might have been a little harsh. But since the Cadet kept pushing, he got both barrels. On the site I got it off of, there is a Air Force A-10 driver who said the Major was his instructor in T-38s. He thought the Major was a hell of a pilot and a great guy. He said the Major lost it after the Cadets repeated refusal to go away.

snake020

Contributor
If this kid was really being overzealous in his requests, the Maj should have called the first officer in the kid's chain. E-mail is a very unforgiving medium as demonstrated in my recent post about the angry LT getting cut by the AF.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
If this kid was really being overzealous in his requests, the Maj should have called the first officer in the kid's chain. E-mail is a very unforgiving medium as demonstrated in my recent post about the angry LT getting cut by the AF.
I never said the Major did the right thing. I said he had nads and I applaud him. I also said the Wing Commander was a pussy.

Maybe the Major thought he was trying to give the kid a break by not involving the Cadet's chain of command. Maybe he thought a strongly worded e-mail would get the kid to go away and quit bugging his schedulers. In retrospect not a good thought process. It's easy to sit on the sideline and second guess motives. But I understand the Major's frustration. Some people think they are entitled and just won't take no for an answer.

When I was flying Grand Canyon tours in the Twin Otter, I had a passenger keep asking me about parachutes. After telling him there were none aboard and that they would not be practical at least five times in a polite and patient manner, I gave into my frustration. I told him that because of his constant questioning I was going to finally tell him the truth. Only the pilots had parachutes and it was supposed to be a secret. You see, it cost a lot of money to train a pilot and the company wanted to protect their investment. So the pilot's seat backs were really parachutes and when we buckled in we were really strapping on the chutes. That was also why each pilot had a door at his side and there was only one for the pax. If he looked at most commercial aircraft, he'd see the pilots normally do not have their own personal doors. The company was trying to make it easy for the pilots to jump in an emergency and felt the cost of the extra doors was further protecting their investment. Pax normally did only one aerial tour of the Grand Canyon in their life times so the company had all the money they would ever get out of them if something happened. It wasn't worth putting extra doors in the cabin or providing the pax with chutes. The idiot believed this and wrote a letter to the company complaining about their greed and their placing the value of the pilots over the safety of the pax. Luckily the company big-wigs liked me and had a sense of humor....I got off with an ass chewing. Was it the right thing to do? Definitely not. But it sure made me feel better at the time...

MrSaturn

Contributor
(summer cruise guys notwithstanding, they were to told to bug the sked writers if they wanted to fly)

Yep that was exactly what I was told to do during mine. 50 mids showed
up everyday, they just laughed and shooed us out the door.

tk628

Electronic Attack Savant
pilot
When I was flying Grand Canyon tours in the Twin Otter, I had a passenger keep asking me about parachutes. After telling him there were none aboard and that they would not be practical at least five times in a polite and patient manner, I gave into my frustration. I told him that because of his constant questioning I was going to finally tell him the truth. Only the pilots had parachutes and it was supposed to be a secret. You see, it cost a lot of money to train a pilot and the company wanted to protect their investment. So the pilot's seat backs were really parachutes and when we buckled in we were really strapping on the chutes. That was also why each pilot had a door at his side and there was only one for the pax. If he looked at most commercial aircraft, he'd see the pilots normally do not have their own personal doors. The company was trying to make it easy for the pilots to jump in an emergency and felt the cost of the extra doors was further protecting their investment. Pax normally did only one aerial tour of the Grand Canyon in their life times so the company had all the money they would ever get out of them if something happened. It wasn't worth putting extra doors in the cabin or providing the pax with chutes. The idiot believed this and wrote a letter to the company complaining about their greed and their placing the value of the pilots over the safety of the pax. Luckily the company big-wigs liked me and had a sense of humor....I got off with an ass chewing. Was it the right thing to do? Definitely not. But it sure made me feel better at the time...

ROFL... don't you just love dealing with the idiot public!

Most everyone is making a good point about the way the Major lashed out was unprofessional, and while unacceptable, why is it that the behavior of the cadet being out of line is not looked at in a much more scrutinizing manner? And I agree, its possible that the Major was just trying to avoid the kid from his own CoC, there are very few who know the whole story, but its unfortunate that due to his outburst this cadet now knows with enough whining like a school girl, he can always get what he wants.... maybe thats the way they do it in the af??...though it has not been my experience thus far in the Navy...

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Most everyone is making a good point about the way the Major lashed out was unprofessional, and while unacceptable, why is it that the behavior of the cadet being out of line is not looked at in a much more scrutinizing manner? And I agree, its possible that the Major was just trying to avoid the kid from his own CoC, there are very few who know the whole story, but its unfortunate that due to his outburst this cadet now knows with enough whining like a school girl, he can always get what he wants.... maybe thats the way they do it in the af??...though it has not been my experience thus far in the Navy...
Exactly