• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NEWS Air Force leadership talks frankly about pilot retention

Hotdogs

I don’t care if I hurt your feelings
pilot
Maybe I am out to lunch - but for Os, I don't see awards as having a huge effect on promoting/ selection at a screen board.

It's not about the board. It's about the command saying "thanks, man" after busting your ass for a squadron for years. Also, knowing that some one took the time to write it up to recognize you goes a long way.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not sure if it's really recognition though. I wrote my EOT NAM and NCM from my JO sea and shore tours. We all did. Whatever.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
To be fair, it's not up to the command (at least at the O5 level) to award anything higher than a NAM. If your ISIC says NFW, then there's not much you can do. That doesn't mean you don't go to bat for someone that's worthy, but it's not something you can do for everyone.
So, you're saying that you're submitting ones that probably don't deserve it? I would argue if you're submitting one, then you already think it's worthy. That or you're part of the problem submitting frivolous awards . . .

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I might be confused. Do you expect you DH to write your award with no input?

We always seem to come back to this whenever we have an awards thread talk. Inputs =/= writing your award. A DH may not have been there the whole time, or owned you the whole time, so they'll need inputs. My inputs were just copying my FITREP bullets from my time in the command and emailing them to my DH, included with a bunch of snarky and sarcastic comments about how awesome I was.

But if you guys, as JOPA, are actually writing your awards, then the Hinges have already won the war. I'd rather leave a command with no award knowing I wasn't important enough to anyone to bother to write one than write my own so I had some gedunk to wear at my next command.

hscs

pilot
It's not about the board. It's about the command saying "thanks, man" after busting your ass for a squadron for years. Also, knowing that some one took the time to write it up to recognize you goes a long way.
If everyone is essentially getting the same award - how is it a 'thanks for working hard'?

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If everyone is essentially getting the same award - how is it a 'thanks for working hard'?
Because then, if you're the only one who doesn't get it, it's basically a passive-aggressive "fuck you." #AwardsInflation

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So, you're saying that you're submitting ones that probably don't deserve it? I would argue if you're submitting one, then you already think it's worthy. That or you're part of the problem submitting frivolous awards . . .
I'm saying that most O6 ISICs expect justification for awards outside the established norms.

Hotdogs

I don’t care if I hurt your feelings
pilot

We may be talking service cultures here but not everyone gets an EOT award in most Marine squadrons. As a matter of fact, I would say most people do not get an EOT award in Marine squadrons. However, I've seen regularly around 25-30% of senior flight leads and squadron instructors who have stood out amongst their peers get NAMs and NCMs. It was common for your run of the mill aviator to leave with nothing and It also was not considered a negative to leave empty handed. I also saw a fucking ensign or J.g. in a Navy command get a NAM for raising funds for the navy relief society or some shit prior to executing orders. Go figure.

So again, yes, when used appropriately, getting an award is a big deal. Then again, my service places a premium on not having everyone looking like an overcompensating Mexican general in their uniforms - so to each their own.

nittany03

pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So again, yes, when used appropriately, getting an award is a big deal. Then again, my service places a premium on not having everyone looking like an overcompensating Mexican general in their uniforms - so to each their own.
It would be nice if other services followed the USMC method (coughcoughAirForcecough). But until then, it's like an arms control treaty. No one's going to back down unilaterally until someone forces everyone to back down at once. Otherwise, the hard cases just screw over their people.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I agree on the Marine philosophy. I don't feel like my DHs failed me when I wrote my own awards. I actually enjoyed working for the ones who had me do it as a random corollary. That being said I don't feel any pride in my EOTs because everyone gets them. When in my JO tour I got a NAM just the same as the dude who qualified TACCO but wasn't allowed to sit the seat and when told to route his own EOT I literally had to walk him through the routine process, I really don't care about the award I got. Same thing on shore duty when I got the same NCM as the dude who wasn't allowed to instruct because my he sucked so bad that all the squadrons hated him and then when he left I and another dude had to undue the damage he did with regard to readiness. Moral of the story, EOTs are bullshit. Simultaneously, I spent maybe 10 minutes writing each one, so I don't feel let down by my COC. I think it's more of an indictment of our whole system.

nittany03

pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The late Col. David Hackworth once wrote a column on this that laid out a pretty fair start for fixing the system. Don't agree with all of it; he's completely off his rocker WRT the Combat Action Ribbon, and really doesn't grok the point of the SSDR, to name two examples. And don't get me started on eliminating the POW Medal. But it's a flawed jumping off point that at least is in the ballpark. TL;DR . . . if it isn't in combat or direct support of combat, it probably shouldn't rate a medal.

(and before someone jumps in, like someone always does around here . . . no, I don't see it happening, barring Congressional or SECDEF-level action, which we probably won't get.)