• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Air force lacks pilots???

Status
Not open for further replies.

BYSun

Interesing article,

Acutally, the article, which I skimmed briefly, examines a potentially serious problem. The the AF is running short of meeting new pilot requirements, but due to a low retention rate of "experienced" pilots and a rapid and voluminous influx of new "inexperienced" pilots, the level of experience begins to degrade rapidly. Although retention of late is somewhat of a non-issue (stop loss post 9/11) eventually certain breakpoints or threshholds are crossed and all hell breaks loose in terms of combat readiness, or lack thereof. Similar models are used in the private sector for business management.

Something to keep an eye on for the upwardly mobile Naval officer, because this is the type of issue the planners and policy makers have to deal with. That is, any organization is a mix of manpower and experience. Real important when one looks to the future of the US military structure and world event....

But, for that little grain-o-salt, Rand, which produced the study, gets paid to find problems and issues. Just a thought.

Boy....did i get long winded. Apologies.

Cheers,
Bryce

In the end it all comes down to a simple choice, get busy livin' or get busy dyin' - The Shawshank Redemption

x-wing

I need to sit down and read it, because that sounds really interesting. I'm still a sohphmore in highschool so i'm wondering how this will affect me becoming a military pilot.

I got a cat the other day.....had to swerve to get it buti got it

ghost_ttu

too far out to predict, timing and luck are unfortunately two of the factors.

Eliminate distractions, focus on your goals and visualize what you hope to accomplish.

BYSun

I agree with Ghost, this is a longer term impact study...It also appears to study trends so by the time you graduate college, say in the year 2009 or 2010, who in world knows what the military will need.

...Damn I feel old...

Bryce

In the end it all comes down to a simple choice, get busy livin' or get busy dyin' - The Shawshank Redemption

ghost_ttu

also, to comment on the AF being short of pilots, I have heard this a lot, but they are not short on new pilots they are short on experienced pilots.

Eliminate distractions, focus on your goals and visualize what you hope to accomplish.

Status
Not open for further replies.