• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Air Force giving me chance to jump ship to Navy

cowdog

I'm currently a Junior in Air Force ROTC on scholarship, with the hopes of flying. Today the Air Force released news that Cadets commissioning have the option to join the reserves, guard, or separate (without having to pay back any scholarship money). This is all part of their effort to reduce their force size. If you're interested you can read more here:

http://www.af.mil/News/ArticleDispl...oduces-total-force-commissioning-process.aspx

Anyways, my father was a P-3 pilot in the Navy, and I've always been interested in flying VP in the Navy - however my school (WVU) doesn't have Navy ROTC. I now have a chance to switch over to the Navy, with no repercussions. Theoretically, I would put in a Navy OCS app this upcoming year, and if I make the cut, then I would tell the Air Force that I want to opt for the service commitment release.

Now, I have a few questions regarding this:

1) How strict are they with the vision standards when you initially apply - with the intent of receiving an aviation slot. My vision is currently 20/60 uncorrected, which is in the acceptable range for the AF (20/70 uncorrected). Will I be able to get a waiver, or do I need to get surgery before I apply?

2) BDCP is no longer being funded, right?

3) How competitive is it for Navy OCS nowadays? Air Force OTS is extremely difficult, especially if you want to fly. What components do they look at in the application? I currently have a 3.66 GPA as a civil engineering student, and 100% on the Air Force physical fitness assessment (which I believe is the same as the Navy PRT)

4) Am I even eligible to apply if I'm already in an officer accession program? Will they look at me favorable or unfavorably because I am trying to cross over?

Thanks for your help everyone! I'm currently on vacation in Hawaii. Was at Kaneohe MCBH last week, and at Bellows AFS this week. If any of you are here for RIMPAC, see if you can give Bellows a little buzz

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
Can you finish your AF ROTC program and get an Navy commission? I know guys that went to the Citadel and got Navy commissions. Just curious.

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
1) The vision requirements are pretty strict. For Student Naval Aviator applicants (i.e. Pilots), the limit is 20/40 uncorrected, correctable to 20/20. For SNFOs, there is no limit uncorrected as long as it is correctable to 20/20. Do a search on here, there are countless stories of people getting the "NAMI whammy" during OCS or even while waiting to class up for API/Primary because of obscure eye conditions or vision acuity that may fall into range one day, but may be slightly out of range when you actually get your exam.

3) OCS is nice because you are guaranteed a designator before you ship. So you know that you will be a SNA, disregarding any issues with your physical, clearance, etc. Selection rates for SNAs were upwards of 80% for the last few boards, but the most recent board a couple of weeks ago saw a much lower rate, somewhere around 50% I believe.

exNavyOffRec

I'm currently a Junior in Air Force ROTC on scholarship, with the hopes of flying. Today the Air Force released news that Cadets commissioning have the option to join the reserves, guard, or separate (without having to pay back any scholarship money). This is all part of their effort to reduce their force size. If you're interested you can read more here:

http://www.af.mil/News/ArticleDispl...oduces-total-force-commissioning-process.aspx

Anyways, my father was a P-3 pilot in the Navy, and I've always been interested in flying VP in the Navy - however my school (WVU) doesn't have Navy ROTC. I now have a chance to switch over to the Navy, with no repercussions. Theoretically, I would put in a Navy OCS app this upcoming year, and if I make the cut, then I would tell the Air Force that I want to opt for the service commitment release.

1) How strict are they with the vision standards when you initially apply - with the intent of receiving an aviation slot. My vision is currently 20/60 uncorrected, which is in the acceptable range for the AF (20/70 uncorrected). Will I be able to get a waiver, or do I need to get surgery before I apply?

3) How competitive is it for Navy OCS nowadays? Air Force OTS is extremely difficult, especially if you want to fly. What components do they look at in the application? I currently have a 3.66 GPA as a civil engineering student, and 100% on the Air Force physical fitness assessment (which I believe is the same as the Navy PRT)

4) Am I even eligible to apply if I'm already in an officer accession program? Will they look at me favorable or unfavorably because I am trying to cross over?

Thanks for your help everyone! I'm currently on vacation in Hawaii. Was at Kaneohe MCBH last week, and at Bellows AFS this week. If any of you are here for RIMPAC, see if you can give Bellows a little buzz

They have done this before, there is an Ensign in the fleet right now that I put in who did this after being given that option at the time.

1) you do not meet vision standards for SNA commissioning, that has to be corrected prior to application.
2) correct
3) you would need to take the ASTB, but based on what you have put you are competitive.
4) no, you must not be currently in a commissioning program.

RiseR 25

Go Reserves or Guard. If at all possible finish AFROTC and work with your Det Staff to get you a commission in the Reserves or Guard. If you want Navy ask to finish the program and cross-commission if they'll even allow it. Use the fact that you went to field training to justify that you've fulfilled the OCS/OTS indoctrination requirements.

RiseR 25

Good article and nice to finally see the Air Force doing something that makes sense with regards to giving AFROTC commissionees the option to go straight Guard of Reserves, I wish they had this 7 years ago.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Can you finish your AF ROTC program and get an Navy commission? I know guys that went to the Citadel and got Navy commissions. Just curious.

I think it is somehow possible but extremely rare to go through one service's ROTC and get a commission in another.

As for the Citadel, we had NROTC there and commissioned folks in all four services via their ROTCs.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
The fact that they're pushing those options makes me think a cross-commission upon graduation wouldn't be too much to ask for. I've seen people cross-commission from USNA (rare but possible).

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The fact that they're pushing those options makes me think a cross-commission upon graduation wouldn't be too much to ask for. I've seen people cross-commission from USNA (rare but possible).

I am aware of the cross-commissioning the service academies do but that is unique to them and I have not heard of a similar thing done with ROTC.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Flash is right, in 16.5 yrs, I have never once met a guy/gal who x-commissioned from any ROTC. About 4 service academy types.

exNavyOffRec

Go Reserves or Guard. If at all possible finish AFROTC and work with your Det Staff to get you a commission in the Reserves or Guard. If you want Navy ask to finish the program and cross-commission if they'll even allow it. Use the fact that you went to field training to justify that you've fulfilled the OCS/OTS indoctrination requirements.

If he wants to have a chance to go USN then he needs to cut and run, anything else essentially solidifies no chance at going USN.

exNavyOffRec

Good article and nice to finally see the Air Force doing something that makes sense with regards to giving AFROTC commissionees the option to go straight Guard of Reserves, I wish they had this 7 years ago.

They are mirroring what the Army is doing, I have seen the results of this first hand, not good at all, many of the Army guys didn't find out until just a few months prior to graduation they were going active, guard or reserves, they were not happy and many ran to the OR I know hoping to go active USN, none were able to, hopefully the USAF lets these guys know where they are going more in advance so they can find a job if need be.

RiseR 25

They are mirroring what the Army is doing, I have seen the results of this first hand, not good at all, many of the Army guys didn't find out until just a few months prior to graduation they were going active, guard or reserves, they were not happy and many ran to the OR I know hoping to go active USN, none were able to, hopefully the USAF lets these guys know where they are going more in advance so they can find a job if need be.

Ah, I see now what you mean. I was thinking more along the angle of the Air Force Guard and Reserves officer accession process and more specifically their pilot selection process. Guard and Reserve units have the pilot billets (AFSCs), but limited means to secure the officers. They used to use AMS in Tennessee and only recently has everything been consolidated at Maxwell under AFOATS, but even then they maintain completely separate training doctrines.

But as far as job security in the Active Air Force component, you are very correct and I stand corrected. His Field Training at Maxwell couldn't count for anything in the Navy? That's pretty comparable to Candidate Officer status, although I admit Maxwell indoc would not compare to Newport.

RiseR 25

The way it's looking to me right now based on how AFPC works, guys/gals on scholarship would be given the option to "rush" the Guard and Reserve units that are currently needing pilots/navs/ABMs and any non-rated jobs that need to be manned. If they don't make the cut for that unit's board, then yes it would be really bad.