• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Air Force Enlisted to SNA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike26

I am currently an enlisted AirForce member trying to get a SNA slot in the Navy. I am wondering if there is anyone else out there like me trying to get in our who has done so in the past. I think I have a good chance. I am already an aircrew member on KC-135 with lots of miltary flying experience. Another guy in my squadron applied and he is in OCS at this moment but he is the only other person I know of who has transfered from another service while still serving. If anyone knows of others please let me know as I would love to here any advise they have to give.

Dave Shutter

Sounds like your making the right choice! Prior service and an aviation background would be big plus's on your application and yes, I've met a couple prior AF enlisted who have come in as SNA's, not many though. Good luck.

BTW, sadly you will not be able to wear most of your AF ribbons on the Navy uniform, you know, the ones you get for showing up on for work sober and having your shoes tied

Vic

Your MOM!
pilot
There should be an Air Force regulation that will separate you from the Air Force if you are offered a commission or ROTC slot with the Air Force or any other american service. I did that in the Army, it was 16-2, but I can't remember if it was Army reg or DOD reg. I will look it up for you, maybe I can give you a hand.

Don't sweat the small stuff!

ghost_ttu

Needed to give Dave props for this one, I got a good kick out of this.

quote:
BTW, sadly you will not be able to wear most of your AF ribbons on the Navy uniform, you know, the ones you get for showing up on for work sober and having your shoes tied

Mike26

Hey now! They don't just give those ribbons to everyone, you actually have to show up to work sober and tie your shoes. Thanks for the inputs. It is good to see that the Navy values prior enlisted experience when if comes to flying slots. Out of the 4 flying squadrons at my current base, I have yet to meet a pilot who was prior and commissioned through OCS (OTS in the Air Force). The majority are fresh out of the Academy or AFROTC. Only a small amount come through OTS, and most are straight out of college but even that is very hard to do if you want a pilot slot.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
As for prior enlisted experience, of the 60 or so officers in the wardroom at my squadron, 14 of them are prior enlisted (NFOs and Pilots). FYI...

robv182

Gotta have the Nutz
None
Mike, speak to a Navy recruiter. I was taking a class here at Lackland with a SSgt that crossed directly over to SNA. They accepted him no prblem and his job had nothing to do with aircraft in the AF. He is somewhere in the pipeline at this very moment. I also asked the local officer recruiter for some other members of my squadron who were interested and he said just to have them give him a call. Good to have someone from our sister service interested, good luck.

BONE77

Hey Mike, I'm prior AF also, I was a firefighter for five years, been out for a year and my packet goes in end of this month, good luck to ya fellow wing nut.
BONE

Mike26

Thanks, I am waiting to hear about mine now, I had to retake the test because they lost my anwser sheet, that was kind of upsetting. Hopefully I will hear soon. Where were you stationed at as a FireFighter? I'm currently a boom operator a Fairchild. It will be quite the change if this Navy thing works out but I am looking forward to it.

ghost_ttu

Mike, mind me asking why go to Navy instead of AF? Just curious. Your story has me very nervous, my recruiting office is moving next week and I just retook my ASTB last week and did well on it.....

Mike26

Well, a big reason is I have not completed my PPL, and I don't have a technical degree, which the AirForce really likes.The acceptance rate for OTS, is currently 1 in 10 and that's not even with a pilot slot. Also the process for the Navy involves less red tape. You can only take the AFOQT once a month and if you don't like your score you will have to wait 6 months to retake it the second time,the boards are only once a month as well. Everything takes a lot longer. I have worked with the Navy quite a bit in my current job and I like the way the do things. But in a nut shell I just want to fly, I have not even tried the Air Force, if the Navy won't take me, I'll try then, if I have to I will try the Army and fly Helo's. Have you thought about the Guard or Reseves?

ghost_ttu

Yes, they are more competitive than either AF, or Navy. That brings a question up that I meant to ask awhile back. I'm just curious, what are the options for Navy pilots if they want to get out of active duty and fly reserve? Are they pretty much bound to Navy reserve? Or could they go to Air Force Reserve, or Air National Guard? When you go into the reserves I know they usually look for pilots that are already qualified on the planes they employ, but do they ever take a pilot, for instance a Navy helo pilot, could that pilot go to a reserve unit and possibly be put into the tactical training and fly jets, or prop training and fly props for reserve? I realize there are commitment times and I'm looking past that, I'm just wondering if anyone has any information on this?

Mike26

I don't know too much about that but I do remember when I was in training there was an ex-navy pilot going through training as a KC135 pilot with the guard. Active duty AF pilots going to the guard go through an application and interview process. I am guessing they would take people from other services and just send them through training on their unit specific aircraft. You may want to talk to a guard recruiter. I know a lot of guard units are hurting for pilots. You just have to find the right one, that could be an option for you if the AD thing does not work out. We have a ANG unit across the runway and they have hired quite a few people straight out of college.

Status
Not open for further replies.