• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Air Force Academy to Navy? (long)

ihtfpcadet07

I wasn't real sure where to post this so this seemed like the best place.

Let me give you some background information. I'm currently a rising junior at the Air Force Academy with 3 days until commitment. Freshman year during the Freshman vision test, it was found that I have a red/green color deficiency in my eyes. This was the very first time I'd ever heard or found out about the problem. For those of you that don't know, there are 2 different color vision tests, the Ishihara plate test, and the Farnsworth Lantern test. The Air Force only accepts the Ishihara test, which is the one I miserably failed the first time.

After doing some research initially, I found out that Navy and Army both accept the lantern test, and while home on break I went to a former AF optometrist in Houston to get retested on the plate test, as well as take the lantern test. I passed the lantern test 100%.

Here's the problem. Ever since I've known what a plane was, all I've wanted to do was fly. My world came crashing down the day I failed the vision test, as I knew the Air Force did not give waivers for it. I am now 3 days away from commitment and I will do whatever is necessary to be able to fly military aircraft.

I'm sure some of you are thinking "well why not just cross commission at graduation," and its an option I have looked into. I talked to Cdr. Farnham in the History department here who is the Navy liason early this year about doing just this. He said last year he tried to get 2 cadets who both had the same color deficiency as I do cross commissioned but Navy Medical (don't remember the correct term) in Pensacola would not accept them. I went back and talked to him again late last week to try and find out the reason they were not accepted but he couldn't give me a definitive answer. I've asked him one more question about this option but have yet to hear back from him.

Another option I am looking into but need more information is something my dad stumbled upon last week. He called it a "flight contract" but wasn't sure what the actual name was. One of the recruiters in Houston told him about a program where you apply, if you are accepted you are guaranteed to go to flight training after going through OCS. If you are not accepted, you have no commitment and your application package stays active so that you may try again some amount of time later. Does anyone have more information about this? It seems like the best option for me.

Here is my current plan of action. I have 3 days to decide if I am leaving the Academy. If I do, I'll be going to the University of Houston to finish my degree in Civil or Mechanical Engineering. Upon graduation, I will either apply straight into OCS, or hopefully the above mentioned flight contract if it pans out. If for some reason I am no accepted to either of these, I will try to get into Coast Guard aviation.

Basically, I will do whatever it takes to get into Naval Aviation, even if it means doing a shore/ship job for a year or two. Can someone point me in the direction to find more information about the flight contract or offer any suggestions?

Thanks
C2C Tristan Reeves
US Air Force Academy

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
ihtfpcadet07 said:
He said last year he tried to get 2 cadets who both had the same color deficiency as I do cross commissioned but Navy Medical (don't remember the correct term) in Pensacola would not accept them. I went back and talked to him again late last week to try and find out the reason they were not accepted but he couldn't give me a definitive answer. I've asked him one more question about this option but have yet to hear back from him.

I'm willing to bet they weren't accepted because the Navy was attriting SNAs like crazy, they didn't need to take 2 more from the Air Force.

Another option I am looking into but need more information is something my dad stumbled upon last week. He called it a "flight contract" but wasn't sure what the actual name was. One of the recruiters in Houston told him about a program where you apply, if you are accepted you are guaranteed to go to flight training after going through OCS. If you are not accepted, you have no commitment and your application package stays active so that you may try again some amount of time later. Does anyone have more information about this? It seems like the best option for me.

I'm guessing you're thinking of BDCP. I'll let someone else talk about that, since I was NROTC.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm thinking that if NOMI in PCOLA won't accept you from the AF Academy, then getting in through another route will be slim to none since NOMI does ALL aviation candidates prior to commissioning/flight school. I wish you all the luck in the world.
ea6bflyr

ihtfpcadet07

I'm hoping thats not the case as everyone I've talked to so far has said as long as you can pass the lantern test, you're good to go.

hopefully tomorrow I'll hear back from him with the reason they didn't get in. I know only one of them wanted to go to aviation, I think the other wanted to be a SEAL.