• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

air contracts

trevor jones

Is signing your Air contract before ever even seeing the board normal? If is and you board and don't get selected for air is the contract void or are you just at the mercy of the Marines. Do all services do this? I guess I figured you boarded and then if accepted you sign. I just like every other guy that wants to make sure he's not getting douped. I just wanna fly.

scotty008

Back at last
pilot
Yes, you sign the whole packet before, saying that if you get accepted and through OCS/TBS you go to flight school. If you don't get through the board, you have no further obligation.

batman527

Banned
no worries trevor, I just signed my whole packet two weeks ago. Props to scotty for the good info. It is wierd that it's done that way. Do they do it just so you don't waste the boards time? i.e. So you don't go to board, get selected, and then punk out?

scotty008

Back at last
pilot
batman527 said:
no worries trevor, I just signed my whole packet two weeks ago. Props to scotty for the good info. It is wierd that it's done that way. Do they do it just so you don't waste the boards time? i.e. So you don't go to board, get selected, and then punk out?
That seems logical to me. Even so, we had a guy from San Diego selected SNA with me last year. He seemed pretty solid, had signed all the papers, but got scared prior to shipping out for OCS and managed to get out. When it all comes down to it, if you decide you don't want to be there, they don't want you to have negative effects on those that do. Our OCS company had 4 guys quit prior to pickup, when the contract they signed stated that they would give it a go for 4 weeks. You also get those that sneak out during the night and/or first liberty while at OCS. Gotta love the UAs... some guy tried to inflate trash bags and cross the Potomac... dedicated to quitting, I guess. Good luck with everything.

trevor jones

Thanks a lot guys. I just wanted to make sure this was standard practice. I think I'm gonna take my contract home and give it a good once over before I sign. I wanna make sure I know what I'm getting into and fully understand. Thanks again.

Taxman2A

War were declared.
Honestly, no paperwork you sign up until you accept your commission is really binding. It's been a few years so I'm not 100% familiar with the specifics of the documentation but but I do remember that after OCS there was additional paperwork that I had to sign that basially said "Yes, I have finished OCS, will graduate college this semester and still want to be an Officer" (I was PLC)... and then of course at commissioning you still have to sign your acceptance of commission. It's only then that they really "have you".

RivrGuide

Admiral Hartman 4 Life
pilot
Really, you don't have to read anything, enlisted recruiters may 'fib' from time to time, but OSO's are not only experts at what they do, they are honest, dilligent and in no way motivated to decieve anyone for any reason ever. Don't worry about reading or making copies, just sign whatever they put in front of you and look enthusiastic. You'll be fine:icon_smil