• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Air Contract, start in the Reserve?

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yeah, understood. But these guys weren't fallen angels. They stayed in the pipeline, so whatever their last numeral was, they were still designated as a Class I aviator, so 139x.

All that said, they may have still been 1395s, I can't remember their timing or when exactly a 1395 became a 1390 (or 1310). I believe the fleet and ascessions augmented in 2005, but not sure how they handled the guys who were about to be redesignated at winging anyway. I'm sure many here lived through it, but they may not have known it was happening.
It was 2005. I know this because I just recently looked at my ASOSH. :) I think we're talking two different things here. Yes, the folks who went SELRES VR probably went 1395 -> 1315.

All I was getting at was that bunches of folks of that era attrited also. And that I didn't know until I FOSed myself in The Great YG2003/04 Aviator Bloodbath that SELRES was an option. It is, and fallen angels who pick it join the reserves as 1305s. I know now, because I've worked with several, of which one has made quite the impressive career supporting NSW, of all things. So for folks of my era, there were three ways into SELRES land. Take the VR gig in flight school and get winged as a 1315. Alternatively, join the real reserves and make a career there. Either after attriting and taking your chances as a 1305, or getting bounced in the Great Promotion Board Clusterfuck along with half your peer group, and building a career as a 1315/1325.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I believe the VR folks called them “nuggets”.

Never met one who didn’t absolutely love it. They also got to rack up tons of PIC time since the SELRES with airline jobs who didn’t need the time anymore always let them sign for the jet.

Funny how the Navy always seems to f**k up their pilot manning. Like everything, it’s cyclical, but we are SUCH a broken record sometimes.

yeah I mean I think we are educated enough to recognize the biggest drug deal (other than maybe BDCP) ever when we see it :)