• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Air Contract - High ASTB / Low PRT

cmcalvert

Sep-11 SNA Pro Rec
Looking for some insight on a Marine Air Contract through OCS. I contacted a Marine recruiter months ago and learned that the Marines weight PRT pretty heavily. I'm applying for Navy slots for the upcoming August board, but am starting to look at other options in case I'm not selected and the boards shut off again for a while like everyone on this site is saying they probably will.

With a minimal PRT, 225-230, but a 3.5 GPA and 9/9/9 ASTB, but only 11 flight hours, what would my chances be at snagging a spot in the Marines? Any guesses? I can't run a sub 20 minute 3 mile, but I'm trying to improve everything (run, pull ups, curls) as quickly as I can. Does anyone know if the Marines ever look past low PRT scores because of high ASTB scores?

Insight would be appreciated. Hopefully I'm just worrying too much and I get a Navy spot in the upcoming board. But there will be a lot of qualified applicants in this board and even a technicality could keep me out. Thoughts?

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
ATSB is pass fail as far as the Marine Corps is concerned. I got in with a lower PFT (F in the USMC) during the plus up to 205,000- I had around a 255 or so. I probably would not have gotten in now based on that- but you never now.

No one can tell you what kind of chance you have other than if you don't apply you ain't got one.

SWACQ

pilot
Contributor
What year of college are you in? Unless you just graduated, you always have another year to apply again with a stronger package. At your age, actually pretty much any age, if you no kidding work out for an hour a day for 4-5 times a week you will be in the 275-285+ in about 3 months.

cmcalvert

Sep-11 SNA Pro Rec
What year of college are you in? Unless you just graduated, you always have another year to apply again with a stronger package. At your age, actually pretty much any age, if you no kidding work out for an hour a day for 4-5 times a week you will be in the 275-285+ in about 3 months.

Graduated in 2007. Have had to lose a lot of weight to get to where I am now... 6'0 / 185. I've been working out / running that much or more since Aug of last year. I think I'm just slow, haha.

MasterBates

Run like there is a Gunny chasing you. Or jihadists with dull scimitars.

My ass managed to do a 10:28 PRT (Navy) to get to OCS. And I've got 90 pounds on you.

SWACQ

pilot
Contributor
Graduated in 2007. Have had to lose a lot of weight to get to where I am now... 6'0 / 185. I've been working out / running that much or more since Aug of last year. I think I'm just slow, haha.

Are you near a college with an NROTC unit that you could work out with the Marines there? There's a difference between going to the gym and working out or going for a run, and getting the shit kicked out of you for an hour an a half 4-5 days a week by somebody who knows what they are doing.

81montedriver

pilot
You will learn fast here that people aren't very fond of the "What are my chances .....?" questions.

As for the rest, the Marine Corps does place heavy weight on the PFT. Regardless of what you do in the Marine Corps, the PFT will always be there. The ASTB is simply an aptitude test and honestly isn't worth shit in my opinion.

Since you will be applying for an officer spot, you will be required to run at least a first class PFT which is 225 and higher for under 27 and 200 or higher for over 27. Keep in mind this is the MINIMUM. When you are in OCS and TBS, the minimum meets the standards but it sure as shit isn't good enough. In addition, the Marine Corps is experiencing a drawdown from 202,000 down to about 175,000 over the next 6 years or so. This tells me that they will not be bringing in an influx of Marine officer candidates.

What I will tell you is to keep PTing if you really want to become a Marine Officer. Pullups and crunches come very easy with practice and the only way you can improve your run is to keep running. I've never been a good runner but I was still able to pull a sub 21 minute 3 mile out of my ass prior to OCS. Good luck man.

cmcalvert

Sep-11 SNA Pro Rec
No NROTC unit nearby... otherwise I'd do just that. There are ROTC and AFROTC units, but they wouldn't be the same. Also, I don't know if they'd be as likely to take me in unless I was going AF or Army. Could be wrong, I may look into it.

As far as "what are my chances" questions, I agree they're more or less pointless... because there's no way of knowing. But knowing the Marines' emphasis on PT, I was just curious if anyone knew of instances where high ASTB scores had outweighed low PFT scores. My plan is to continue to get into the best shape I possibly can get into, whether I apply for the Marines or not. Hopefully something works out... I appreciate it guys.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you have to ask whether the Marines would ever value a high ASTB over a high PFT...you must not know many Marines.

Work on that run time! I just finished OCS and we did a lot more running than upper body work. Also, don't worry about lifting too much- they focus on "functional fitness" which was all body-weight exercises. We all lost muscle and fat and everyone's times went down but I wouldn't show up here without at most a sub 22:00 3-mile.

To improve your run time, just learn to enjoy running- then it won't feel like work and your times will drop before you know it. Just understand there's not going to be a quick, easy solution to getting better at running, it needs to become part of your weekly routine.

81montedriver

pilot
To improve your run time, just learn to enjoy running- then it won't feel like work and your times will drop before you know it. Just understand there's not going to be a quick, easy solution to getting better at running, it needs to become part of your weekly routine.

I've been trying to "enjoy" running ever since I joined the Marine Corps. Unfortunately it still sucks balls

cmcalvert

Sep-11 SNA Pro Rec
If you have to ask whether the Marines would ever value a high ASTB over a high PFT...you must not know many Marines.

Haha... I don't know many.

As for "enjoying" running or working out in general, that probably won't happen for me either. I agree with the previous post, it sucks balls. Things I enjoy: drinking beer, going to bars, eating masive quantities of food, sitting on the couch watching baseball and football. Maybe that's why I'm having to work so hard now to get into shape!

Thank you everyone for the advice... it's much appreciated.