• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Air Contract denied Because of flight Physical

Hoog187

My OSA told me today that if NAMI doesnt approve my flight physical within the next 8 days that i will not be able to go to OCS this summer. I have already been selected but i havent signed my orders yet. Does anybody know anything about this?

grnweenie

That shouldn't be the case. A bunch of us were at OCC-200 with flight physicals that had yet to be approved by NAMI. Apparently, there was huge back-up due to some people not doing their jobs (District Doc's words). All were approved prior to graduation, including mine even though i was NPQed from OCS.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
My OSA told me today that if NAMI doesnt approve my flight physical within the next 8 days that i will not be able to go to OCS this summer. I have already been selected but i havent signed my orders yet. Does anybody know anything about this?

Not enough information. By "this", do you mean the deadline, or your specific case, or what? And signing your orders? Do you mean contract? An important factoid to know would be when you went to MEPS (or wherever you went for said physical).

GO_AV8_DevilDog

Round 2...
Contributor
Not enough information. By "this", do you mean the deadline, or your specific case, or what? And signing your orders? Do you mean contract? An important factoid to know would be when you went to MEPS (or wherever you went for said physical).

oh those blasted pro-nouns, how they confuddle everything up when not used propperly.:D

2ndGen

Third times a charm
I am contracted as a SNA right now, heading (hopefully) to PLC-C this summer. I have not had a flight physical, becuase they will not send me until I'm a senior, and I have an air contract. If you are trying to go OCC. If you are going to OCC, that might be a different story.

smulet

I am in a similar situation waiting for NAMI to approve me. I am going to OCC regardless. My OSO said if NAMI hasn't approved it by week 6, they will ask me to sign a ground contract.

amr88

This seems a little odd, mabey u guys can chime in on my situation. Im contracted AIR and will be going to PLC combined this summer. I havent taken a "Flight Physical" yet. The only this i did was MEPS and go to a Civilian eye doctor to check out my eyes. I was nearing the dead line on my application so we rushed the process. I passed the ASTB with a 5/6/6 and signed my contract that day... Im a little confused why i havent had a flight Physical yet. Any thoughts?

GO_AV8_DevilDog

Round 2...
Contributor
This seems a little odd, mabey u guys can chime in on my situation. Im contracted AIR and will be going to PLC combined this summer. I havent taken a "Flight Physical" yet. The only this i did was MEPS and go to a Civilian eye doctor to check out my eyes. I was nearing the dead line on my application so we rushed the process. I passed the ASTB with a 5/6/6 and signed my contract that day... Im a little confused why i havent had a flight Physical yet. Any thoughts?

Usually when you do PLC, they wait until after you graduate [plc] before they send you for your flight physical... at least that was what was supposed to happen with me...

smulet

I'm going 10-week OCC, so that's why I already got a flight physical. Don't worry... PLC is different.

Reconjoe

IMO,
If you signed an air contract, are in the PLC, and have not been sent to Pensacola or any other military hospital to see a flight surgeon and conduct a series of tests (like MEPS all over again) then start hounding your OSO, even if your not a senior yet or have yet to complete PLC seniors/combined....I say this because I did not hound my OSO at all, or even ask about the flight physical....I was simply waiting for him to contact me and tell me to go take the physical. The result of me not keeping on top of that resulted in me being 4 months behind on commissioning, because once you take that flight physical, it will seem like an eternity before it comes back approved (4 months!)....and thats if you had a perfectly good physical...if theres something they see wrong that they want you tested for, then standby for even longer!
There are also 2 PLC buddies of mine who had the same thing happen until I discovered that we all needed to ask for the physical ourselves instead of waiting for it to magically happen. One of those guys has to postpone a wedding now because of it!
The moral of this story, is even though your OSO is there to take care of your needs on your journey to O1, things will either slip through the cracks or you may just get an OSO who isn't on top of things....and that shouldnt matter because as a potential officer you should be proactive enough to make sure your informed and being proactive in your steps towards commissioning.
Go talk to your OSO and get all the facts, and try to take that flight physical ASAP!!

amr88

Thanks ReconJoe, that's news to me, i had no idea it took so long to get the physical ok'ed. I'm getting PRK when i come back from PLC-C this summer and will make sure to keep on top of everything so come graduation time ill be a-o-k to take my commision. I apreciate the advice!

capitoljake13

I am in a similar situation waiting for NAMI to approve me. I am going to OCC regardless. My OSO said if NAMI hasn't approved it by week 6, they will ask me to sign a ground contract.

So you signed an Air contract and will leave for OCC before you know if you passed the flight physical?

My OSO has asked me, like many others have done, to sign ground and then switch to Air when my PRK waiver clears.. stating that you cannot sign Air if you have had PRK until it clears... why can't PRK'ers have a similar Air contract to yours that states 'pending results of flight physical'

It would mean nothing as I plan on going ground if am NPQ anyway, except that if the flight physical doesn't clear with the waiver by the time one commissions, then you're stuck as a ground competing for air at TBS.