• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

AI Co-pilot

Anyone with actual AI knowledge / expertise, beyond buzz words / marketing blurbs, care to share some deeper insights in to this type of technology, recommend further reading...? (I'm about to crack open the AI for Dummies book, all the headlines we see daily casts AI as a 'magical' force!)

AI co-pilot enhances human precision for safer aviation

Meet the Air-Guardian, a system developed by researchers at the MIT Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Laboratory (CSAIL). As modern pilots grapple with an onslaught of information from multiple monitors, especially during critical moments, Air-Guardian acts as a proactive co-pilot; a partnership between human and machine, rooted in understanding attention.

Meet the Air-Guardian

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
I can’t claim any worthwhile knowledge of AI, but I can say with certainty that once the FAA gets involved the magic box will get larger and heavier and the AI engine far less effective.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
That article has a lot of words to not say much. I'm skeptical, given all of the current systems to warn you which then ends up speaking over or distracting from what you're trying to do. I always appreciate when my SA screen (GMX200) disappears so it can warn me, "CAUTION, TERRAIN!"

I know, that's why I need the screen up, dingus!

But let's get to the more pressing question of that page. What the hell is this vendor actually selling? I don't dare click...

weirdAdPic.jpg

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Anyone with actual AI knowledge / expertise, beyond buzz words / marketing blurbs, care to share some deeper insights in to this type of technology, recommend further reading...? (I'm about to crack open the AI for Dummies book, all the headlines we see daily casts AI as a 'magical' force!)

Meet the Air-Guardian, a system developed by researchers at the MIT Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Laboratory (CSAIL). As modern pilots grapple with an onslaught of information from multiple monitors, especially during critical moments, Air-Guardian acts as a proactive co-pilot; a partnership between human and machine, rooted in understanding attention.

Meet the Air-Guardian
I'll remain skeptical, but flight sims have had eye trackers for a while now to provide head movement in-game and make it easier to scan around the cockpit. They work pretty well but are expensive: https://gaming.tobii.com/games/microsoft-flight-simulator/

I imagine you could rig something similar and have an effective measure of where in the cockpit space the pilot is looking but I'm not sure what that tells you or makes useful except for NTSB crash investigations. I can see this being used very intrusively to tattle on pilots in the cockpit as seems to be the trajectory of most AI/ML projects that are "safety" related. That said, AI relies upon lots of data and the ability to link incidents to the observed pilot behaviors (In this case where they are looking inside the cockpit) which I don't know how you build that realistically. Maybe they need to start rolling this out in simulators first and build the data archive to feed the AI.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ah, research...most of the time, vaporware. Remember, you can lead a horse to water....the same might apply to eye tracking AI in the cockpit.

Sonog

pilot
I can see AI software being used to monitor and transcribe radio transmissions as a reference/backup. Is that insane? It will be easy to point out the pitfalls, but I can also see that being an enormous boon to SA.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I can see AI software being used to monitor and transcribe radio transmissions as a reference/backup. Is that insane? It will be easy to point out the pitfalls, but I can also see that being an enormous boon to SA.
There's already software (AI? :rolleyes:) that does that.

kaldor2c7

IWC CW Mustang

Meet the Air-Guardian
I know this might be a response beyond the readers digest version you’re asking for but here goes. This is straight out of an informative paper I wrote on the subject for resiliency models for unmanned aerial systems awhile back. As one might guess there’s more to “AI” than can be explained on this board.

Artificial Intelligence (AI) is a multifaceted field that builds upon principles of machine learning, neural networks, and algorithmic design. The essence of AI lies in its ability to learn and improve from experience without explicit programming. This self-improvement mechanism is primarily driven by machine learning, where systems adapt based on data input. Neural networks, particularly those used in deep learning, are computational models inspired by human brain structures, consisting of interconnected nodes that process information. The evolution of AI traces back to the mid-20th century, initiated by concepts like the Turing Test and symbolic AI. The current resurgence and advancements are a result of a confluence of factors: vast amounts of data, refined algorithms, and enhanced computational power.

As AI technology advances, it's imperative to recognize its inherent challenges and broader societal implications. Overfitting is a prevalent issue where models become too adapted to training data, losing their ability to generalize to new data. Another significant concern is bias: if AI systems are trained on non-representative data, they might perpetuate existing prejudices. Beyond these technical challenges, the opacity of some deep learning models raises questions about their explainability, often referring to them as "black boxes." The ethical dimensions of AI extend further, encompassing potential job displacement, misuse in surveillance, and other critical areas. As AI becomes more intertwined with daily life, addressing these challenges and understanding the ethical dimensions becomes paramount for its responsible deployment.

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
We're installing a bit of updated software for terrain avoidance in Navy H-60s, and my approach to what AI/ML should do in aircraft is best summarized by the code's mandate:

Provide increased SA, with a minimum of nuisance alerts.

I'm lucky enough to be a pilot and have an MS with a healthy dose of AI/ML. There's no magic about AI, and I don't think it's revolutionary. It should definitely be developed to provide decision aids in most aspects of flight & missions.