• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

bryanb176

What is the maximum age that you can be when you start flight training? I have seen several different answers.

Thanks!

Aimee

bryan - unless you get a waiver, you must have completed OCS by the time you turn 27 in order to go SNA...

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
The only way to get a waiver is to be prior enlisted or be on track to get a commision before 27th B-day and then get hurt at ocs.

Dave

Dave Shutter

The traditional rule is one month of age waiver for every month of active duty, so a full four years buys you up to 31. Remember that this is a Waiver "request", they don't have to give it to you, but generaly they do. They'll want to see your DD214 (if pior) and check out the months column for your service. If age is a factor you might want to consider the Marines, they tend to overlook age for VERY qualified people.

Rainman

pilot
like me!

Yeah a few years back Navy wouldn't give me a waiver (no prior service); Marines did.

S F

frogggystyle

Here are the age requirements for all officer designators out of OCS:

Without prior service -

SWO - 29
SPECWAR/SPECOPS - 29
SWO(N)/SUBMARINE - 26 1/2
NFO - 30
PILOT - 27
Restricted Line and Staff Corps - Prior to turning 35

Waivers for prior enlisted service -

SWO - Up to 2 years
SPECWAR/SPECOPS - Up to age 35
SWO(N)/SUBMARINE - Up to age 29 1/2
NFO - Up to age 32
PILOT - Up to age 31
Restricted Line and Staff Corps - No waivers

You can view the adobe document here as it is listed on page 7-2 of OPNAVINST 1420.1 : http://neds.nebt.daps.mil/Directives/1420/seven.pdf

These ages are the maximum you can be upon completion of OCS (when you get commissioned). I had one guy in my OCS class that got commissioned 1 week before he turned 32. If he had been rolled in OCS by even one week, he would have lost his NFO billet due to his age. And, yes, they are *that* strict about it. One day over...you don't qualify.

krtyxl

i can vouch for the AF age of 29. I just turned 29 and commissioned last May. I will be going to P'Cola next month for API.

Status
Not open for further replies.