• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Age waivers accepted if already Ensign??

Kem09

Hello!
My husband is a new Ensign and would like to transfer from being a Surface Warfare Officer to NFO. He has 150 hours of flight time and is 29 years old. He was told as a civilian he was over the age limit but if he's already an Ensign would he need still need an age waiver?
Thanks for your help!

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
It is very competitive, but there have been a couple former SWO's and other community types come through here in the pilot program. Both that I'm thinking of were warfare qual'd (not sure if your guy has his pin yet) LT's, so I'm guessing they too were pushing the outer limits of the age envelope

Kem09

Ok, good to know! Thank you. He hasn't qualified yet so he will definitely be pushing the age limit.

Kem09

He's actually in the last five weeks of OCS. He'll probably be able to start posting around March 6th when I go down for the week of graduation (since I'll have my laptop). He just wanted to get some answers ahead of time so he could start figuring it all out so asked me to start a posting for him..... If there is anything you think that would help him you can let me know and until he can get on here I can pass it on. Thanks!

navy09

None
Even if he were 22 the chances would be very slim. The SWO community is really hurting for bodies right now so, unfortunately, his chances of getting "released" from SWO aren't good.

I'm in Newport right now and I'd be happy to get lunch with him and shoot the shit about the goods and bads of the SWO community.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Step 1: Earn his SWO pin.
Step 2: Apply for a lateral transfer to NFO.

-ea6bflyr ;)

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If he's over 31 by the time he's in a position to apply for a redes, then yes, he'll need a waiver. Age waivers usually aren't that hard to come by for guys from the Fleet, if he's otherwise pissed excellence as a Shoe and the Needs of the Navy are there. But ea6b is right - step 1 must be passed before he can even think about redes'ing to anything.

But backing up a sec - he's not even done OCS and he already wants out of SWOdom? That's taking Shoe self-loathing to a new level. "He was told' he was over the age limit, but that's not correct. Mrs Fester went off to OCS (off the street, no prior time) with an NFO designator when she was 29. What's the Rest of the Story?

And my knowledge of OCS is secondhand-from-wife as I'm one of those Academy guys, but can you apply to redesignate before you commission? You know, "I put in for X because I didn't know anything about the Navy, but now that I've learned more, Y seems more my speed, yadda yadda".

BigRed389

None
It is very competitive, but there have been a couple former SWO's and other community types come through here in the pilot program. Both that I'm thinking of were warfare qual'd (not sure if your guy has his pin yet) LT's, so I'm guessing they too were pushing the outer limits of the age envelope

Really? I've been weighing whether or not to drop a second attempt at a lat xfer package as I'd already be on my second tour by the time the board met.

The quota for pilot for my YG is still 2...maybe worth another shot (NAMI did sign off on my flight phys to BUPERS in time)...

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm in Newport right now and I'd be happy to get lunch with him and shoot the shit about the goods and bads of the SWO community.

He might be a little busy during the week unless you're going to back in time and slip into his class.

srqwho

pilot
...But backing up a sec - he's not even done OCS and he already wants out of SWOdom? That's taking Shoe self-loathing to a new level.

It's kind of funny, and kind of sad at the same time. At OCS, even the SWO instructors that teach you Nav, etc were pretty open about how much they were nauseated by their own career. It seemed like in every class you had the SWO contingent show up all hard charging about driving ships only to be let down by the attitude of the instructors (not all of them, but a few), and the other pilots/NFOs in class always seemed to fill in the gaps and remind the future shoes that they may want to try and 'fix' this now before it's too late. Like I said, that was the sentiment at OCS when I was there. A lot of the shoe class officers were great and didn't openly talk about their career. I can see this guy being at OCS and sipping the juice the pilot/NFO types in class were serving and realizing that things may not be what he thought they might when he shows up to a ship.

I did know of at least 2 guys who changed their designation while at OCS, so that is possible.

Kem09

Thanks guys this is really helpful.. He talked to his class officer (who is SWO) and made it sound like a horrible career. 20 hour days, always being deployed, etc.. He's alway wanted to fly but when he applied for pilot (last march/april) he was over the age limit and his recruiter told him there were no age waivers. (Then again his recruiter didn't know a lot so that could have been the reason too) So I really just think he's trying to figure out what is best for his career and for us together. But I'll give him my log in and such and have him read over this (if he can) and maybe he can post back to you guys. I know he's really interested in talking further!