• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Age waiver

theo3214

Hello,

This is a great site. I'm 33 and want to get a shot at USMC and flight school. I have a multi commercial and instrument with approx. 400 hours. I also have an airframe and powerplant license. I graduated with a degree for Embry Riddle Aeronautical university with a 2.8 gpa. I'm in great shape and just scored a 288 on marine pft. I maxed pullups and crunches and ran 19:10 so I think I'm scoring correctly. I have 20/20 uncorrected and I bet I can get a 300 pft in a few more weeks of hard work.

I put in a air package a few years ago and was not accepted at my final board. It has nagged me for three years now and it gets under my skin for not getting my chance. I had three waivers one for speeding tickets, one for age, and one for being single with a dependant. I tried to get around that last one by getting my lawyer to draw up a document saying that my daughter was under his cutody. I think the Marine Corps didn't buy that last one and that really killed me. Also my run time was about 23:20 at the time and that didn't help much either.

I'm currently working an application for army ocs. Don't get me wrong, I'll be damn proud to serve as an officer for the Army but my heart is with the marines. Plus, the Army will not guarantee brach selection, aviation in my case.

I thought that just maybe I could find a marine oso that would take my motivated attitude and get a waiver done. If not for air maybe ground. Is it possible to get ground then kick some tail in TBS and graduate first in my class then try to get air even at my age. I would really appreciate any good gouge on the subject.

Good luck to all

dvl_dog_2531_90

To be honeset, I think it will be an uphill battle for you but it is worth a shot. If I were you, I'd start calling every OSO you can to ask if they'll work with you.

Remember that they don't need you to make their mission, so you'll need to do something else to make them want to work with you.

Keep us posted on how it goes. YOur PFT should work in your favor.

Riper Snifle

OCC 194 TBS C 03-07
Keep working real hard at it. One other consideration for you if Marine OCS doesn't work out is the Army Warrant Officer program. You can't select your MOS as an officer in the Army but as a Warrant Officer you could secure flight training. I don't know what their age situation is, but there are several way's to get into it including National Guard, so that might be an option for you. Also, if you do the Warrant Officer program for Flight you can then go through Army OCS and be an Officer in aviation. Just a thought. Good Luck!

Spin

SNA in Meridian
Not saying you should give up ... but we had a prior in our TBS class who was 29 and a VERY good applicant for the pilot program and he had a LOT of connections as well. If anyone deserved it it was him. They denied him transition to air strictly based on his age. Ground is probably a more likely option for you.

Good luck to you and don't give up ... just wanted to give it to you straight.

theo3214

Looks like the end

Thank you spin. I don't quit on jack, but sometimes you gotta let go. That was the exact gouge I needed. I respect a man with the straight answer. I would be honored to go ground. I want to be a marine more than anything else including (believe it or not) flying. I talked with three osos today and got the same answer from all. They can't do the waiver. The army is giving me a shot with a waiver for OCS so I think I'll go with that. My heart is with the USMC but there have been a lot of good men and women serve in the Army. I'll try to be one of those soilders. Thanks again for your reponse. Some folks will not give you the time of day. Even though I'm not a marine I'll end with your salutation if I may.

Semper Fi