• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Age Req.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdavis281

I know this questions has been beat to death (I used the search function multiple times). For people who submitting their packages for NFO's what is max age to still be eligible. My recruiter is saying 27... but every official navy doc. I find says 30. Is there a recent policy change and the online info has been slow to catchup or is it actually 30. I am 28.5 so you can see why this is of interest to me. If I am to old then it llooks ikes I will be submitting my package for ADMO.

H60Gunr

As I was submitting my package, OPNAVINST 1420.1A helped answer questions regarding this issue. I think max age for active duty is 32 for NFO.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
cdavis281 said:
I know this questions has been beat to death (I used the search function multiple times). For people who submitting their packages for NFO's what is max age to still be eligible. My recruiter is saying 27... but every official navy doc. I find says 30. Is there a recent policy change and the online info has been slow to catchup or is it actually 30. I am 28.5 so you can see why this is of interest to me. If I am to old then it llooks ikes I will be submitting my package for ADMO.
You can waiver up to 48 months for prior active duty service which you append onto whatever the "off the street" limits are for your specific program. If you don't have prior service, then go with the established limits. Wink may have additional guidance on this.

Brett

cdavis281

I have read OPNAVINST 1420.1A before and it says 30 waiverable to 32, but that doc is dated 3 MAY 2003. Is there a later version or a new rule that is effect that is not in any of the web pubs. You can see were my confusion lies.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Age is 27 for non prior service guys. It dropped a year or so ago. The 48 month waiver for prior service is tacked onto the 27 year limit. If you are active duty another max age applies. I believe that guidance for that does indeed come from OPNAVINST 1420.1A.

Seems we get confusion over issues many times because guys find OPNAVINST references and want to use them. Guidance for recruiters recruiting to OCS comes from COMNAVCRUITCOM Instructions. They don't seem as easily found on the web or at most active duty commands. As usual, the recruiter was right. You guys really have to let your recruiter do his job. Be your own advocate, but he is the man in the know. It is his job is to put you in the Navy, not keep you out. If he is throwing up road blocks it is usually for a good reason.

Jeff29

Science Project
cdavis281 said:
I have read OPNAVINST 1420.1A before and it says 30 waiverable to 32, but that doc is dated 3 MAY 2003. Is there a later version or a new rule that is effect that is not in any of the web pubs. You can see were my confusion lies.
OPNAVINST 1420.1A is titled "ENLISTED TO OFFICER COMMISSIONING PROGRAMS APPLICATION ADMINISTRATIVE MANUAL"

So, that instruction does not apply. That being said, if you think your recruiter is misinformed, call another recruiter and ask the same question. I have found that recruiters are hit or miss. You'll find some who will go completely out of their way to help you, and others who just don't care.

For what it's worth, I always thought SNA was commsiioned by 27 and SNFO was 29.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Jeff29 said:
That being said, if you think your recruiter is misinformed, call another recruiter and ask the same question. I have found that recruiters are hit or miss. You'll find some who will go completely out of their way to help you, and others who just don't care.

For what it's worth, I always thought SNA was commsiioned by 27 and SNFO was 29.

Did you read my post? His recruiter is not misinformed!! The age limit is 27. Give it a rest already. And while I am sure there are some recruiters that don't care too much for returning 20 phone calls a day from mostly unqualified people and holding the hands of applicants that would fill out an application for commission with a crayon and don't return critical calls from the guy that would put them in a multi million dollar aircraft or at the helm of a warship, the vast majority are very good. Keep in mind these guys also hold down several collateral duties. I'm sure they would not mind dropping the investigation they had to get to the XO yesterday about the enlisted recruiter who crashed his gov car and tried to cover it up just so he could make calls to convince someone what he had told them before was in fact true and he is not a lier. Or maybe he can put off the marketing research he has to do to complete the marketing plan for the entire District so he can explain, for the third time, that there are no waivers for loss of one eye. I have it, may be can not respond to the congressional investigation from the local Congressman brought on by a guy he didn't call back the fourth time to explain again why he isn't going to get into the Navy, so he can call some one else back for the second time to explain why he needs to get a medical consult so he can qualify for the world's greatest navy. :icon_rage :icon_rage :icon_rage

Jeff29

Science Project
wink said:
Did you read my post? His recruiter is not misinformed!! The age limit is 27. Give it a rest already. And while I am sure there are some recruiters that don't care too much for returning 20 phone calls a day from mostly unqualified people and holding the hands of applicants that would fill out an application for commission with a crayon and don't return critical calls from the guy that would put them in a multi million dollar aircraft or at the helm of a warship, the vast majority are very good. Keep in mind these guys also hold down several collateral duties. I'm sure they would not mind dropping the investigation they had to get to the XO yesterday about the enlisted recruiter who crashed his gov car and tried to cover it up just so he could make calls to convince someone what he had told them before was in fact true and he is not a lier. Or maybe he can put off the marketing research he has to do to complete the marketing plan for the entire District so he can explain, for the third time, that there are no waivers for loss of one eye. I have it, may be can not respond to the congressional investigation from the local Congressman brought on by a guy he didn't call back the fourth time to explain again why he isn't going to get into the Navy, so he can call some one else back for the second time to explain why he needs to get a medical consult so he can qualify for the world's greatest navy. :icon_rage :icon_rage :icon_rage
Guess I struck a nerve.

In my post I said that "I always thought SNA was commissioned by 27 and SNFO was 29". That is because when I applied, IT WAS 27 and 29. Maybe it's changed, I don't know. I was told "no" for 12 years until I finally got a "yes", and, in fact, the last "no" before I got the "yes" was from a misinformed recruiter in regards to the age issue. I'm sure that the details of my situation are different, but the point is, if you want it bad enough, exhaust all options before you throw in the towel.

Status
Not open for further replies.