• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Age Question?

JEP

OK I have a question. For all of you that read this I thank you.

For the longest time I have wanted to fly in the Navy and Marines. I have talked to different marine officer recruiters for the past 3 years in the two different towns I have lived in while completing college.

I really wanted to be a Marine officer, but long story short did not do the PLC program and I am now regretting it. I have worked in the aviation field and have FAA ratings (I know that doesn’t matter that much), but I have everything together now and I am a recent graduate with a B.S. degree. I have great letter s of recommendations from 4 aviation community in the Navy and USMC. I have been putting my package in for the Navy and ready for the November board. The reason I went with Navy is because I thought I was too old for the Marines as I am about to turn 26 in August. Either way I have the passion for aviation and wanted to be an officer in the Marines or Navy. I have had a few buddies go through OCS and TBS School and one went with an air contract. It is something I have wanted my whole life. My question is that you have to be commission by the time you turn 27, or in OCS, or to flight school by that age? Because I know TBS is 6 months. Just curious because I recently heard a few different stories and I am starting think I still have time to submit a package with the marines. I just heard the OCC waiting time is a long time sometimes. I am in outstanding shape as well and have done the PFT. I will have the ASTB scores and everything. Anyone with some knowledge on my age and times it would be greatly appreciated if you could tell me what you think. Thanks again everyone.

JEP

Ok and now I just read on the USMC 2011 updated commissioned by 28. That has me feeling a lot better.

ksu_af2navy

Pretty sure the cut off age for the Navy is 26 (Cannot turn 27 before you commission). From the time I was Pro'recd until I was commission through Navy OCS was a total of 10 months, another 1.5 months for API, and I just started Primary...thats to give you a time frame to work with. So just being realistic, you could commission well before your 27th B-day if you get going on your packet.

tboss2013

I too am wondering about the age limit for Marine aviation. I talked to an OSO today who said the earliest I could go to OCC would be in January and by the time I finish in March I will be 27 + 7 months (I turn 27 August 12th). He said that their limit for aviation is 27.5 and that I cannot get an age waiver because the 3 star General responsible for giving them sees no reason to. But, I also read this on officer.marines.com, "OCC Aviation Additional Requirements - To qualify, you must be no more than 28 years old when commissioned." (http://officer.marines.com/marine/m...mmissioning_programs/officer_candidate_course) Does anyone have any clarifying information on this discrepancy?

81montedriver

pilot
If the website says 28 I dont' see any reason to believe otherwise. As long as you can get into an OCS class and commission by the time you are 28.

JEP

If the website says 28 I dont' see any reason to believe otherwise. As long as you can get into an OCS class and commission by the time you are 28.

Thanks montedriver. Good news awaits me and working hard everyday to kill the PRT!!! Motivated

guim13

Might have to do with the district. When I was ptad our office had guidance from higher not to accept age waivers unless they were priors. You can always start calling different districts to see if they are different. Our district was number 1 so we didnt have trouble filling our slots. There is a waiver for everything, but you have to find the OSO that has numbers to meet and not enough people.